Gazpacho

Janis

Cathlete
Tried this version from Cook's Illustrated - yummy - plus I added 1/2 a jicama, 2 ears fresh raw corn, and 2 zucchini. I garnished mine with avo and chevre.

Enjoy!-

Spicy Gazpacho with Chipotle Chiles and Lime

Welch's and Samantha's are our favorite brands of tomato juice for this recipe—not too thick, with a bright, lively flavor. This recipe makes a large quantity because the leftovers are so good, but it can be halved if you prefer. Traditionally, diners garnish their own bowls with more of the same diced vegetables that are in the soup. If that appeals to you, cut some extra vegetables while you prepare those called for in the recipe. Additional garnish possibilities include croutons, chopped black olives, chopped hard-cooked eggs, and finely diced avocado.

Ingredients
3 ripe medium beefsteak tomatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), cored and cut into 1/4-inch cubes following illustrations below (about 4 cups)

2 medium red bell peppers (about 1 pound), cored, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes following illustrations below (about 2 cups)

2 small cucumbers (about 1 pound), one peeled and the other with skin on, both seeded and cut into 1/4-inch cubes following illustrations below (about 2 cups)

1/2 small sweet onion (such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla) or 2 large shallots, peeled and minced (about 1/2 cup)

2 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)

2 teaspoons table salt
1/3 cup sherry vinegar
Ground black pepper

5 cups tomato juice

2 1/2 tablespoons minced chipotle chiles in adobo
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
6 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
8 ice cubes

Extra-virgin olive oil for serving (optional)

Instructions

1. Combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, onions, garlic, salt, vinegar, and pepper in a large (at least 4-quart) nonreactive bowl. Let stand until the vegetables just begin to release their juices, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato juice, chipotle chiles, cilantro, lime juice, lemon zest, and ice cubes. Cover tightly and refrigerate to blend flavors, at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.

2. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper and remove and discard any unmelted ice cubes. Serve cold, drizzling each portion with about 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil and topping with the desired garnishes, (see top note).

Summer Gazpacho

Rather than start another thread, here's another version to try with all the zucchini and squash that seem to never end out of the garden :). Gazpacho is one of those things that you can make with seasonal veggies, have it warm, have it cold - whatever you like - and it is so good for you! I prefer my gazpacho with the chill off, and a dollop of fat-free greek yogurt and diced cucumber.

1 large yellow crookneck squash, large dice with the skin
1 large green zucchini, large dice with the skin
1 green pepper, large dice
1 onion, large dice
3 stalks of celery
Garlic to taste
Parsley
Basil
Olive oil
2 14 oz cans of fire-roasted diced tomatoes (or regular stewed, up to you) - keep the juice
1 adobe chili pepper (optional)
Beef broth - about 1 cup or more, depends on how thick you want it, and yes, substitute veggie broth if you are vegetarian.
Worcestershire sauce to taste

Heat up the olive oil in a dutch oven or other large pot. Toss the first onion in and let it start to sweat (not brown). Toss the squashes and pepper in, and cook that about 5 minutes. Add the celery, garlic, tomatoes with juice, celery, parsley, basil and simmer for about an hour or until the squash is tender. Add beef broth to thin if needed.

I use an immersion mixer in my pot to rough blend the ingredients together. You can make this smooth or a bit more chunky depending on how long you run the immersion mixer through :). Let it cool to room temp or chill it in the fridge.

Serve with small dishes of things to add to it - like diced cucumbers, greek yogurt or sour cream, croutons, more raw veggies. Perfect for those warm nights or a picnic when you need a soup that doesn't need to be hot.

Enjoy the week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.