Does anyone use quinoa?

FourAM

Cathlete
If so I was just wondering how long cooked quinoa will stay good in the fridge.
I just tried it and love it but it makes alot and I do not want to waist it?
:)Rachel

Hi! I've certainly kept it in the fridge for about a week and it has seemed fine. I love quinoa.

-Beth

i made this with quinoa instead of rice-yummy.same amount of water.i freeze it in batches for weeks

Spanish Rice

1 c rice
1 c chopped onion
sliced mushrooms
sliced olives
1 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
2-4 T oil
14 oz can tomatos(or can tomatos with green chilis)
1 c boiling water

Saute onion in oil. mix all ingredients adding boiling water last. put in 2 qt casserole. cover. bake 350 for an hour.

i left out the onion,mushrooms,and olives.

You shouldn't store any cooked grain in the fridge for more than a week. This is particularly true of rye berries.

If you make a large batch and know you won't finish it all in a few days, a better option is to portion it and freeze it. It will reheat in the microwave in just a few minutes, or you can toss it in a sauce pan with some aromatics and veggies for a pilaf.

You can do the same thing with brown rice, millet, barley, any grain really. Just be careful when reheating it.

Last edited:
Thanks Shelshula.
I was not sure if quinoa would freeze well. But I love the stuff and this day and age who can afford to waste.:D
Rachel:)

A health food store or an organic grocer should have it. Also, it might be in the organic section of your local grocer instead of in the area where the store usually carries rice and the like. I believe Arrow Mills is one brand that is common, you might ask the Safeway to stock it.

When making quinoa it is very important rinse it a lot before you cook it. Quinoa has a natural coating on it (saponin) which if not rinsed off will ruin the entire dish with a very unpleasant bitter flavor. Quinoa is almost always sold pre-rinsed (especially if it is sold in a a box) but it is still a good idea to rinse it any how, just to be safe and remove any lingering traces.

Also, like many grains, toasting the grain in the pan a until fragrent and golden in color before adding the water or broth will improve the flavor. This also works with orzo pasta.

This may be an obvious question/statement - but can't you just make less? There isn't a recipe on earth I've not been able to cut in half. I do that all of the time with quinoa, rice, etc, because the "recipe" on the package is too much. So I just cut all of the amounts in half. Perfect amount for my needs.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.