Any good (healthy) rhubarb recipes?

beskinny

Cathlete
I have a TON of rhubarb this year. I have quite a few recipes but none of them healthy. :p Does anyone have healthy rhubarb recipes? If so, please share!!

I have some rhubarb in the fridge, I did a rhubarb crisp and will do bread this weekend, I think. None of it is terribly healthy bc of all the sugar it takes to get the sour out. The rhubarb crisp isn't terribly bad

4 C rhubarb cut in about 1/2 pieces
1/2 C old fashioned oatmeal uncooked
1/2 - 3/4 C sugar or brown sugar - I mix both
1/4 C flour (wheat will work)
1/2 stick cold butter, diced, you can cut this back a bit
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Heat oven to 375
Place rhubarb in 9x9 baking pan
Mix all other ingredients and cut in butter until crumbs form
Bake for about 35 mins until brown and bubbly.

YUM!

ETA- yes, there is no sugar added directly to the rhubarb

Rhubarb bread - I made this today. Here's the original

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rhubarb-Bread-I/Detail.aspx

I subbed out plain applesauce for the oil, low fat buttermilk for the milk/lemon combo, left out the nuts (DH doesn't like nuts in his bread) and upped the rhubarb to 2 C. Also used 1 1/2 C white flour, and 1 C wheat flour to total the 2 1/2 C flour. Came out yummy.

When I plugged in the new info in to the Daily Plate this it what it comes up. I used a yield of 12 slices per loaf, 24 slices total.

89 cals, 1g fat, 10mg chol, 113mg sod, 18g carbs, 1g sugar, carb, fiber.

Nan

I take rhubarb and dice it up in a saucepan with some water and simmer it until it tenderizes - then add splenda to it to sweeten it up. Sometimes I use sugar and splenda together for a sweetener, but most times, just splenda. I want to try stevia next time I have some rhubarb. I use the sauce by itself or over other things like quickbreads.

I will try that rhubarb bread, too- that looks fantastic!

I tried this yesterday, and it's a little wierd, but has virtually no calories.

5 cups rhubarb
2 small packages sugar free jello

Cook rhubarb over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the rhubarb softens and gives off liquid. Add jello and put in an 8X8 pan until set. It has a jello / jelly consistency.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.