Are you SURE STS is for various fitness levels?

becky2500

Cathlete
I was a bit discouraged today as I started doing my 1RM testing. I started entering my results and according to the average person, I am a WEAKLING...seriously. Should I not even attempt the STS stuff and just focus on the Gym Style series I have? Ugh!!

Becky

Hi Becky:

Seriously... IMHO, if you can do Gymstyles, I would think you could do STS... I started seriously back into workouts of any kind this past August of 2008, and I still have trouble doing some of the exercises in the DVD's I have... STS was actually my first Cathe DVD I purchased (albeit pre-order and am obviously waiting for it along with everyone else) but I was so excited because I really enjoyed the few FitTV workouts that I DVR'd... and I also LOVED the fact that there were a total of 41 DIFFERENT workouts! I am easily bored doing the same workouts week after week! I was not intimidated by the fact that I probably am in no way going to ever be able to lift as much as Cathe & crew where I am right now, but loved the idea that I could start where I was at physically by using the 1RM's as a guide so that I wouldn't over do it! :) I know that some people have discouraged it for those who are "newer" to weight workouts, but if you are going to be doing weights anyway, why not have the latest and greatest workouts to do it with! My advice is make your own decision and if you really like the work in some of Cathe's other weight/strength DVD's and can handle the fact that you will absolutely NOT be able to do EVERYTHING as produced (at least the first time through the series), then I say why not! :)

I assume you have already, but check out the YouTube clips again, and see what you think about the real deal. Obviously a 7-9 minute clip is not going to give you the entire picture, but can be a good guide for some of the things you will be requiring your body to do...

that's just my 2 cents...

I was a bit discouraged today as I started doing my 1RM testing. I started entering my results and according to the average person, I am a WEAKLING...seriously. Should I not even attempt the STS stuff and just focus on the Gym Style series I have? Ugh!!

Becky

Hey Becky, don't compare your weights to others, the whole reason for the 1RM is so you do the program at your level, it really does not matter at all what you can lift, it's your 1RM that you will use.

Don't get discouraged, this is going to be a great program! I agree with Dani, if you can do gym styles, you can do STS.

Not Cathe, but I'll chime in too! I was also feeling pretty intimidated by my first strength DVDs, about a year and a half ago. My strength has doubled since then (literally doubled, and more than doubled for some exercises!), and it's mainly because of Cathe's influence!

The beauty of the 1RM, as I understand it, is that we can each tell what our limits and stretch goals can be, and work safely and steadily within them. Since you're doing gym style already, you should be good to go.

What's been interesting to me on the 1RM is how variable my stats are compared to others. In some, I'm even, in others, on the high side, and others, woefully below the norm. I'm really looking forward to STS/1RM guidelines to help me even things out.

I agree with Dani, I just started DVR'ing Cathe's Pyramid wo's and a few others and just starting lifting more than 10 # db's a few weeks ago! I just discovered Cathe and fell in love and asked for STS for Christmas b/c I too fell in love with having 41 wo's for the variety. I know for a fact that I won't have very high 1RM's nor will I be doing any pull ups at the start of this program....but I do know that I'm going push myself to do what I can, and I know I'll see results and then I can change my 1RM's the next time through the program and eventually get there. I do have moments where I think, was I crazy for jumping into this now, but I have more moments where I know that I will become stronger and know that I can do this. I think that's the point of the 1RM's, is so that a light lifter and heavy lifter can both do the program and get results. I also think that is why Cathe won't tell you what they are lifting during the video, so you can tailor it to you and not worry about what level everyone else is at.....but that's just my opinion, from one Cathe newbie to another! :)

You really can't go by the average cathenation members 1RM results. We have a flaw in the current system because some people enter their weight for one each dumbbell while others enter the combined weight for both dumbbells.

But regardless of your strength level you can do STS. The beauty of 1RM testing is that in STS you will use a weight that is appropriate for your fitness level.

OMG!!! What exactly are we supposed to enter? If for example it's standing dumbels bicep curls and I use 15lbs EACH hand do I enter 15 or 30? I've already started doing the test thanks to your new dowload...as you say even a caveman can do it... and I don't want to waste my time with recalculating.
Thanks!
Christiane

OMG!!! What exactly are we supposed to enter? If for example it's standing dumbels bicep curls and I use 15lbs EACH hand do I enter 15 or 30? I've already started doing the test thanks to your new dowload...as you say even a caveman can do it... and I don't want to waste my time with recalculating.
Thanks!
Christiane

Don't panic! :) (not SNM or Cathe here) but I think that if you are generally using each weight independently (for upper body work especially) you would only enter the weight of one DB... in your example for bicept curls, you use 15# DB in each hand... then I would just enter the 15. If you are doing lower body work and instead of using a BB, you use say 2 - 15#'s and do a form of a squat, then I would put in 30#'s...

Thanks!
Christiane

You can do it either way. We suggest entering your weight for just one dumbbell so that no further calculating is necessary, but either way is fine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.