What weight to record such as...?

Cosmo Mom

Cathlete
Probably a stupid question but.. If I'm doing alternating front lunges and have two twenty lb. dumbbells do I record 40 lbs? I know when I do bicep curls with 15 lb dumbbells I'm recording 15 because that's what each arm can lift. So, would be right in saying my leg can "lift" 40 lbs then?

Thanks for the help - just want to make sure I'm entering correcting.:cool:

Bumping up because I would like to know that answer as well. On some of the barbell workouts, I'm substituting with dumbells, so again I would love to know how to record these. Thanks!

Julie

Probably a stupid question but.. If I'm doing alternating front lunges and have two twenty lb. dumbbells do I record 40 lbs? I know when I do bicep curls with 15 lb dumbbells I'm recording 15 because that's what each arm can lift. So, would be right in saying my leg can "lift" 40 lbs then?

Thanks for the help - just want to make sure I'm entering correcting.:cool:

You could do it either way, but we suggest doing for only one dumbbell. This way you don't have to do any further math.

You could do it either way, but we suggest doing for only one dumbbell. This way you don't have to do any further math.

Forgive me for being hard headed, but what you're saying is that if I'm doing seated over head press with dumbbells, and say I lift 20 lbs total, that I should only put in 10 lbs (one in each hand) as the weight I lift instead of 20? I hope I explained that correctly.

1RM

If you're doing your 1RM test for seated overhead press and are using two twenty pound dumbbells, we would suggest entering 20 lbs for your weight, not the total of both dumbbells which equals 40 lbs. This way you will know what "size" dumbbell you will need without having to do any further math.... but you can do this the other way if you prefer. You will just have to divide by 2 to know which dumbbell weight you will need.

If you're doing your 1RM test for seated overhead press and are using two twenty pound dumbbells, we would suggest entering 20 lbs for your weight, not the total of both dumbbells which equals 40 lbs. This way you will know what "size" dumbbell you will need without having to do any further math.... but you can do this the other way if you prefer. You will just have to divide by 2 to know which dumbbell weight you will need.

Got it. Now I understand. Thanks SNM. Sometimes it take me a little longer to catch on. :D

Like SNM responded, I put down the individual DB weight for upper body work, but for lower body, I put down the TOTAL of the DBs together. For instance, when I hold 2-35 # DBs for wide stance deadlifts, I put down 70. The reason I do that is because I am going to have to start doing that particular exercise with my barbell.

Gayle

Like SNM responded, I put down the individual DB weight for upper body work, but for lower body, I put down the TOTAL of the DBs together. For instance, when I hold 2-35 # DBs for wide stance deadlifts, I put down 70. The reason I do that is because I am going to have to start doing that particular exercise with my barbell.

Gayle

I would do as Gayle is doing for lower body, it makes more sense. Any lower body work you do usually taxes both legs at once, where squats and lunges are concerned, just in different ways. However, with bicep curls and overhead presses with dumbells, you can work just one side of the body at a time.

Clare

Clare

SNM, you have responded several times that the dumbell numbers can be entered "either way", as in one or two. The suggestion to use one dumbell is only given to "make the math easier", not because this is the standard or recommended practice in strength training. Can you PLEASE publish your INTENDED method (for both arms and legs, since some people do them differently right now)? If there is no "industry correct" answer, then just pick something for consistency. And also explain that anyone that does NOT do your preferred method will be skewing the Cathe Nation Average that shows up in Workout Manager? Or give people the option to not be included in the Average, knowing that they use a different method? (either by exercise, or all their numbers). OR...just get rid of the Average? It doesn't mean anything right now (for exercises that use two dumbells). Another possibility, while you are working on the next update to Workout Manager, is to specify right in the 1RM entry section exactly what goes in, i.e. "Enter weight of ONE dumbell".

I realize that we can simply choose not to look at the Average number, knowing the current misinformation it provides, but not everyone may actually know that if they haven't read this and similar threads. For people who suddenly find an exercise that isn't placing around the same range as the other averages, they could waste time trying to redo it (wondering if it was not done correctly), or even cause themselves injury.

PLEASE take a stance on this issue, so we can all get the use you intended from the Cathe Nation Average.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.