Weights for Squats

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I am new to posting to the forum, but not new to Cathe, I have been working out with her for about 3 years. I recently purchased STS, and am now completely overwhelmed with all of the 1 rep maxes I need to calculate YIKES!

I tried to do the squat test with a 50 lb barbell. It was pretty easy to complete 20 reps which translates to about 100lb 1 rep max. I am guessing I could go much heavier; however, getting the barbell over my head was extremely difficult. Also, I have herniated discs in my lower back and have to be very very careful with squats as it is.

I know everyone is different in terms of strength, but I am trying to figure out what people are lifting. If I use the 100 lb one rep max, 60% is 60 lbs and I could barely get the 50 over my head. And probably shouldn't be lifting any more than that anyway due to my back. Do others have similar issues? If so, how do you make it work? I know a squat rack would help me position the bar, but I don't think I should be lifting that heavy anyway.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Susan

I also have difficult lifting anything over 50lbs over my head so I use the weighted vest which will add an additional 10lbs to my squats. I don't have a squat rack. I think I could go heavier using a squat rack but I do what I can with safety in mind; don't want to risk injury, so I'll add additional reps or do plyo legs DVD.

I agree with the others - I use a 20lb weight vest + 4lb weighted gloves to add 24lbs.

If needed in the future, I will possibly get a weighted belt or somehow rig more weight to be attached to my body so I don't have to *lift* more weight over my head.

Anyone have a weighted vest that is more than 20lbs? I am looking for one that is greater than 20lbs. Preferably having the additional weight NOT on the chest area, as my breasts already get smashed and hurt!

Thanks everyone... appreciate your advice.

I am going to post a similar question to the other forums, focusing more on the issues I have with my back to see what others do for modifications. My husband is strongly discouraging me from using heavy weights, and rightly so, even though I hate to admit it!

Just didn't want you to think I was ignoring your advice :)

Susan

If you need to be careful with squats, I would be very cautious about going heavy. I, too, can squat way more weight than I can lift safely at home. I just don't do the squat rack legs set, or if I do, use less weight than my 1RM.

Personally, I find the leg trisets in Meso 2 to be a challenging, effective program for legs, and think the explosive power built by plyo legs a better compliment to the overall STS program than going super heavy for legs in meso 3. That is JMHO, but unless you can get to a gym and do a more back friendly leg press, I wouldn't bother or worry about doing those super heavy squats in meso 3.

I agree with the others - I use a 20lb weight vest + 4lb weighted gloves to add 24lbs.

If needed in the future, I will possibly get a weighted belt or somehow rig more weight to be attached to my body so I don't have to *lift* more weight over my head.

Anyone have a weighted vest that is more than 20lbs? I am looking for one that is greater than 20lbs. Preferably having the additional weight NOT on the chest area, as my breasts already get smashed and hurt!

Gobias – Mir brand has weighted vests up to 50 lbs. designed for women. The weights are more evenly distributed. I was going to buy one but found a height adjustable squat rack on sale for the same price as the vest. I bought the rack instead.

Chris

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.