Weight loss on STS?

Mos Nef

I'm hoping no one has already posted this, so sorry if this has already been answered in another thread.

I'm in the process of trying to lose about 15# to 20#. I'm really excited for STS, but am wondering if it's alright to use STS as my stength training once it arrives, while I am still trying to lose weight (fat, of course), or if I should wait until I am at/near my desired weight before beginning the STS program. STS is largely about building muscle and getting stronger, so I just want to be sure it won't be counterproductive for overall weight loss. If it makes any difference, I'm a pear-shaped endo/mesomorph, so clean eating is imperative for fat loss, but I also build muscle in my upper body pretty easily.

I'm also wondering if there will be any rotations or suggestions posted by Cathe or SNM with ways to integrate cardio into the STS regimen, whether it be for simply maintaining cardiovascular conditioning, or for weight/fat loss for people with goals like mine.

Thanks!

Mos Nef

I had asked this a while back and the consensus is that it would be fine to do STS during weight loss. I will do it again (with new 1RMs) when I reach my goal weight. I have about another 30 lbs to lose; I have lost 75 so far and have done a variety of strength training throughout.

It does make sense that it would actually boost weight loss with the variety of the workouts. I always lose best when I am consistently doing strength training 3-4 days a week with challenging weights, and a moderate amount of high-intensity cardio. Have you found that to be true?

Anyways, I think we'll get great results with STS and I can't wait to do it in January!

Oh, and cardio will be included in STS; I don't remember the exact details though. I know I've read about it in FAQs.

I'm also a similar body type to yours, and my body reacts very quickly to strength training, which is why I think we would benefit from STS during weight loss.

Thanks!

Thanks for your input! Indeed, I figured the shock to my muscles from the constant changes in STS would be a help to weight loss, but it's always nice to hear input from others.

Congrats on your weight loss! That's amazing. I lost about 45# a few years ago and more or less kept it off, but never quite managed to lose the final 20# or so to get to my goal weight/size. So, I'm finally finishing what I started those years ago, and I think STS will be a great tool in the battle.

Congrats on your loss, and especially on maintaining it! I am always impressed by people who maintain their losses (MUCH harder than losing, I think). Yes, I really think STS will kick both our butts and launch us right to our goals.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.