Tutorial for STS and 1RM?

I haven't started attempting to do my 1RM and am wondering whether I can wait until I have the actual STS in my hands. Am I correct in understanding that there will be a tutorial section? I've heard rumors about this, but may be confused.

If so, will this be on each DVD or separate? Will there be one big section for each Mesocycle that shows all the various exercises or will they follow each individual DVD or be an integral part of the workout only?

I'm wondering because it seems like a lot of work to download the lists of exercises, then have to hunt online to find directions to do the ones I'm not familiar with. I do understand the concept of the 1RM and see its value, so I still want to do this, but would like to use the most efficient way possible, and am willing to delay actually starting the STS program until I've finished the 1RM process.

P.S. I am curious as to why it's called 1RM when it's actually based on the weight you use when lifting for 8-10 times???

I haven't started attempting to do my 1RM and am wondering whether I can wait until I have the actual STS in my hands. Am I correct in understanding that there will be a tutorial section? I've heard rumors about this, but may be confused.

If so, will this be on each DVD or separate? Will there be one big section for each Mesocycle that shows all the various exercises or will they follow each individual DVD or be an integral part of the workout only?

I'm wondering because it seems like a lot of work to download the lists of exercises, then have to hunt online to find directions to do the ones I'm not familiar with. I do understand the concept of the 1RM and see its value, so I still want to do this, but would like to use the most efficient way possible, and am willing to delay actually starting the STS program until I've finished the 1RM process.

P.S. I am curious as to why it's called 1RM when it's actually based on the weight you use when lifting for 8-10 times???

Yep you're right SNM will have a tutorial. I cut and will paste below(see the last line of the "paste"). I'm with you! I want to do it efficiently, too(time is a valuable commodity to me) but people on this forum say it is easy to get it done quickly! I haven't attempted it yet, though...:eek:

post_new.gif
11-23-2008, 03:42 PM
SNM Videos
user_offline.gif

Administrator
SNM Videos's Profile FieldsWhen I began doing Cathe Workouts: How I found out about Cathe Workouts: Why I love doing Cathe Workouts: Where I work out most often: HomeOther Workout DVDs that I own: My Fitness Goals: My Success Story:

icon1.gif
One Rep Max
Your One Rep Max (1RM) is simply the maximum amount of weight you can lift one time for any exercise. Since it would not be safe or practical for you to try to determine what the maximum weight is you can lift for every exercise we use a 1RM test calculator to help you determine approximately what your one rep max is for every exercise.

Taking a 1RM test is easy. All you do is select a weight for each exercise you want to test for that you "think" you can do about 10 times with good form. Then perform the exercise doing as many reps as possible.

For example say you wanted to do a 1RM test for "Bicep Barbell Curls, standing". You would simply load your barbell with a weight that you thought you could do about 10 times with proper form. Lets assume you thought you could do 10 Barbell Curls, standing with a total barbell weight of 50 lbs. Next you would perform the exercise and write down the total reps you actually did. Let's assume you thought you could do 10 curls, but actually did 12. You would then go to our 1RM Calculator and first select "Barbell Curls, Standing" from the exercise list. Then in step #2 you would enter "50 lbs" for your weight lifted and in step #3 enter "12 reps" for actual reps performed. Click the calculate button and our 1RM calculator shows that your maximum weight you could lift (1RM) for "Barbell Curls, standing" is estimated to be 72 lbs.

Once you know your 1RM for each exercise you can quickly and easily determine the correct weight to use for each exercise in every mesocycle and week of the STS series. Knowing the correct weight to use for every exercise is extremely important and will help you obtain the results you’re striving for more safely and quickly.

Our 1RM calculator will be a lot easier for you to use and understand once we release the final version of the calculator which will also include a video tutorial.

The reason it's called a 1RM is because it is just that. It is heavier than the 10 RM that you will do. You plug that 10 number into the calculation and it will give you a number that is actually heavier than what you lifted 10x. The 1RM is the most weight you can SAFELY lift one time -- notice that even in mesocycle 3 strength - you still never lift that heavy. You will go to 80-90% of that number. But if you tried to lift that much, you risk injury, so the calculations are based on the weight you can do 10x to fatigue. HTH.

video tutorial

"once we release the final version of the calculator which will also include a video tutorial."

So... my understanding is that the video will actually be a part of the online calculator, not the actual STS DVDs. Does anyone know when this final version is planned to be released?

Edited to include: hmmm... just re-read that and realized it could be interpreted to mean that the video tutorial could be about how to use the 1RM calculator, but it wouldn't necessarily include a video "dictionary" as it were of all the STS exercises. If that's the case, I may still have to follow along with STS to actually do my first 1RM calculations ... not necessarily the most efficient method, but "sigh" I guess we can't always have everything laid out for us too easily :-(

On the bright side, being one who likes to have things laid out easily, I'm seriously pumped about getting to use the STS program to have a complete custom-designed plan for working out!!!!

Last edited:
User Guide

Hey Everyone,

Just read the post about "packaging question" and SNM also answers my question! Looks like what I want to "efficiently" do my 1RM will actually be available after all in this user guide. SNM - you guys ROCK!

"Yes, as long as you order the complete program STS will come with a Free 100 page user guide that will contain details about every workout and DVD in the series as well as how to properly do the program. The STS Users' Guide will contain details about every exercise in every workout. Each workout will have a table showing in order each exercise along with a picture of the exercise as well as other details like reps, muscle group worked, equipment needed etc. Other information in the STS Users' Guide includes which exercises you need to do a 1RM test for. We even rank the importance of performing a 1RM test by giving each exercise a ranking of 1 through 5. We will have more details later about the Users' Guide in a future Blog Update."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.