STS - Week off Every Four Weeks?

wake up eager

Cathlete
On the program schedule/overview it lists (((((Active Recovery - Take one week off and do light activities)))))) after every 4 week cycle.

Curious, do any of you do that now?
Is this there because this program is so intense that we'll need it?

I 'hit the wall' in July and took a week off-but that was after steady workouts (5 days a week) for 6 months. Taking the time off was exactly what i needed but bothered me some because I missed my routine of working out and I was a little concerned that I'd lost my enthusiasm.

While it was exactly right for me - I did need the rest - I am wondering about taking a week off every 4 weeks with STS.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I think STS will be so tough that a week off will give ample time to recover and be fully rested for the next cycle.

Just curious from your photo I'm guessing your an am news anchor? I have a friend here in Boston who is also an anchor and her photo is just like yours!

I've done 'recovery weeks' when doing P90X (they are planned in). During that week, one does core work, light weight training (in the coreworkout), cardio, stretching and yoga. It really helps you be ready for taking it up a notch.

For STS, I would plan a 'recovery week' something like this:

Day 1: moderate cardio
Day 2: functional fitness workout (TLT's, Fitness FX, etc.)
Day 3: stretch/yoga
Day 4: moderate cardio
Day 5: FF workout
Day 6: rest or stretch
Day 7: rest or stretch

I think doing Functional Fitness workouts during this time (Like P90X Core Synergistics) is an excellent way to work te supporting mucles, and get them and the core ready for the work to come.

Last edited:
I'm in the habit of taking a week off after every four. Sometimes I'll do a little stretching or whatever, but I use the time to do some other stuff (like clean out the fridge or go for more horseback rides).

Works pretty well for me. I lost weight, toned up and got some muscle definition using this approach. I'm most into healthy living. Getting a 20" waist or getting ripped is not a real (or realistic) goal of mine.

April

I was thinking that would be a good time to get extra cardio and/or streching in and give the muscles time to repair.

I haven't had a week off in years. Prabably since my last major vacation which was 3 years ago. I remember because we were out of the country when Katrina hit. It probably would do me good. I think I might take this approach this week.
But what is functional fitness?
Rachel:)

But what is functional fitness?
Functional Fitness focuses on moving the body through all planes of motion (especially the transverse or diagonal plane, which many regular weight workouts ignore), with a lot of core involvement. It also focuses on types of movements that the body is called on to do in everyday life and on multi-muscle moves that work stabilizing muscles rather than just the major body muscles (which is why I think it's good to use between bouts of a rotation like STS).

For example: a lunge, in a functional fitness workout, might include lunging forward and reaching towards the floor, which is similar to a move one might do when picking something up.

Some ways of working out are more functional than others. For example, using a machine in a gym is usually not very functional, because it isolates muscles and supports the body rather than having the body do the supporting. Using free weights is more functional (and combo moves with weights are more functional that an isolated biceps curl, for example).

I think STS will be so tough that a week off will give ample time to recover and be fully rested for the next cycle.

Just curious from your photo I'm guessing your an am news anchor? I have a friend here in Boston who is also an anchor and her photo is just like yours!

Hey there...not a news anchor (tho' I did major in journalism) I own a business as a corporate consultant, speaker, trainer. I keep thinking I need to get more casual, fun, fitness picture for my avatar...but until then I'll look like a news anchor!

I schedule time off and love it. I have one coming up in two weeks and plan on practicing yoga only.

I used to be so set in my ways where even one day off was something that bothered me. Then I read about the effects of overtraining, which was definitely NOT what I wanted to experience. I have also read that our muscles often do their best "growing" when we rest, while too much stress can inhibit strength gains.

Rather than a Rest Week, I consider it an Injury-Prevention,-Muscle-Growth,-Enthusiasm-Protection Week. :D

I think this could be my problem.
I feel like if I take a week off from weight training I might lose strength but as of right now I am not gaining any. My muscles are probably on strike. :D
I think I will enjoy this week and add extra cardio and some yoga. Right now the only yoga I have to rely on is Inhale on oxygen. And I really do not like the guy that hosts but it is pretty good yaga.
But should I be doing hard core cardio this wek or should I be taking it easier?:confused:
:)Rachel:)

I would avoid intense cardio, but that's just me.

Quick story: I used to think that if I missed one day of cardio, or if my cardio wasn't tough enough, I'd run the risk of gaining a couple of pounds here and there. Days off came when I got sick, and taking a week off was out of the question.

When I started with Cathe, the thought of doing something like a 3 day split was so foreign. Only 3 days of cardio?! And Cathe's BootCamp had only about 10 minutes total of cardio, so that didn't seem like enough. Yet what I had been doing up to that point wasn't really working anymore, so I figured, "What the heck. It can't hurt."

Fast forward to my point: More weights and less cardio led to a loss of weight that I couldn't budge any other way (including Krav Maga classes, which almost killed me :p). Due to an injury, I haven't done any serious cardio for the last 3 weeks and have only lifted weights...managed to lose another half pound. Go figure.

As a result, I still like and do cardio, but I'm not afraid to lay off.

It sounds like you have received your STS tapes???? Am I missing something? I have not yet receved the program and am extremely anxious to get it!

Rather than a Rest Week, I consider it an Injury-Prevention,-Muscle-Growth,-Enthusiasm-Protection Week. :D

I love this - if i look at it as a time for Injury-Prevention,-Muscle-Growth,-Enthusiasm-Protection - then i think I can really relax and enjoy it.

All - thanks for the thoughts.

Bring STS on!!

Note - I haven;t received my tapes, I was reading the program details on the blog. I wish i had it now!
looksmiley.gif

But should I be doing hard core cardio this wek or should I be taking it easier?:confused:
If your goal is to build some muscle, and you haven't been lately, I'd definitely NOT do intense cardio. It would eat up the calories that could go toward muscle repair. Instead, concentrate on core work, stretching, moderate cardio. That's my advice.

It sounds like you have received your STS tapes???? Am I missing something? I have not yet receved the program and am extremely anxious to get it!

No one has STS.
It's not done yet!

(I'm guessing October/November? My guesstimate keeps getting pushed back!)

I agree I think STS is going to more like a "holiday gift"! I do keep my fingers crossed in hopes that one day I will open up the web site and it will say "DONE"!!!

Thanks Kathryn and Laughing Water...
It is soo hard to take a week off, but today I did yoga for the first time in years that something wasn't sore or week from a previous workout. Except from some residual leg soreness from Saturday.
I hate to keep questioning myself. But just like laughing water I feel like if I take it easy it will be hard to get back to work with the same intensity. Maybe though this time is different because I have a goal for taking a break.
I think tomorrow I will just walk on an incline and work on my core and stretching.

You know it also doesn't help my self esteem that this is the "week to eat" if you know what I mean. Even though I keep a pretty clean house as snacks are concerned there are still little things here that I can start munching on and it is over. ie...trail mix, whole grain crackers or my #1 go to comfort meal Cereal...it's always here for me:eek::D
:)Rachel:)

Rachel - when that TTOM craving hits - come to the Cathe board with a bottle of water where you can post, catch up on what everyone else is up to and, of course, get your giggles and laughs in.

Before you know it, time will have flown by and it will be time for your next scheduled meal.

Works for me every time ! :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.