STS for Teens?

Mom25

My daughter is wanting to get into weight training, and I thought STS may be good for her... Has anyone allowed their teen to do STS? Everything that I have read states that weight training is indeed good for teens. She is 16 and isn't overweight at all, but needs to tone up!

Or... maybe I should start her somewhere else? I also have the pyramid series, gym styles, 3 of the total body workouts, pure strength, and a few others... help?

My 15yo son is planning to start STS next month to be in top shape for football camp this summer. He's really slim and wants to put on some muscle.

STS is a pretty serious commitment for someone just starting out. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but I wouldn't want her to get overwhelmed and frustrated from the start, you know?

Maybe STS Total Body to just get a taste of it for a while? Or High Reps? Older faves of mine are Muscle Max, Muscle Endurance, or the Gym Styles. Anything Cathe is great! :)

I am normally all about the 1RM and pushing yourself with STS. However, for a teen just starting out with weight training, I would probably start with an easier set to lay a muscle foundation. Supersets/push-pull comes to mind, but if you don't have those, possibly the pryamids. Then the total body ones you have. Finally, the gym styles to get prepped for STS.

I would not push the entire 1rm concept with a teen. More of a Tony approach of do your best and forget the rest.

Mom25, I think it would be good for a teen to commit to fitness like that. If your teen decides to go out for a sports team, practices can be a bear so this would get him/her in shape for it. I remember when I was on ski team in high school and the practices before the snow so STS wouldn't be that bad.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.