STS Philosophy with current Cathe workouts

jane_grace

Cathlete
I'd to apply the STS philosophy to my current workouts. I feel as though I am always lifting 90% of IRM and clearly this is not the most effective.

Has anyone checked out how the current Cathe lifting workouts compare to the philosophy? I'm assuming this would mean rep count. I thought I read on another thread that GS would roughly equate to Meso #2 so 70% - 80% of 1RM would be appropiate and I am assuming that Slow and Heavy would equate to Meso #3 so 80% - 90% of 1RM should be used.

Do these assumptions make sense? Does anyone have the info regarding number of reps for different workouts?

Cheers,
-Jane

Working smarter, not harder ....

Hi Jane -- Yes, it makes perfect sense!

A group of us on the VF forum are doing an STS model rotation with our current Cathe workouts (we've just started week 2). Going off of rep count and Cathe's descriptions in her catalog, we've grouped the weight workouts like this:

Meso 1 --
Power Hour
Muscle Endurance
Legs & Glutes
CTX
Super Sets
Push Pull

Meso 2 --
Gym Styles
Pure Strength
Muscle Max
MIS
Pyramids
Body Max (BM2)

Meso 3 --
4 Day Split
Slow & Heavy

Some of us are finding on this first Mesocycle that we can't even get to the 60-70% of 1 rep max on the muscle endurance workouts because the count is pretty fast. So we either have to slow the count or use more like 50-55%. I find that I'm lifting as heavy or almost as heavy as Cathe with that range, so I imagine she wasn't lifting 60%+ of her 1 rep max either. There may be an exception for CTX -- from memory it isn't doesn't move as quickly in the weight work, but with the others, that's been the case.

So it's making me curious if the STS Meso 1 workouts will have slower reps. I was just on here to see if that question has been addressed. If not, I'll be sure to ask :).

Let me post a copy to a similar thread I just answered:

I can’t say I know what the rep speed was for muscle endurance as I’m sure it varied depending on the move and weight used. You should not have any problem with the rep speed in STS as Cathe, our testers and our crew have never had a problem keeping up until they approached failure. People will always fail at different points in the set and thus their rep speed will start to slow down as this occurs, but until then you should not have any problems.

Also remember that workouts like Muscle Endurance are done to music. By that I mean the rep speed is dictated by the music. In STS the exercise will dictate the speed and the music will follow the movement.

>What and where is the VF forum?
>Roselyn

If you want to find our check-in -- go the the Check-ins and Challenges section of the forum and look for the STS-like Mesopsychos ;) group -- we start a new post each week.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.