STS and Half Marathon Training

TXGin

Cathlete
Cathe,
I am planning on training for a half marathon that will take place at the end of February. I plan to run 2 times a week (3-6 miles) plus one long distance run on the weekends during training. At the same time, I would like to start STS in January (on alternate days, of course). Is this a good idea to be doing both long distance runs and STS or should I wait to start STS until after the half marathon for best results?

Thank you and I can't wait for STS!!!:D You're the best!!:)
Gin:)

Hey, Gin! What half will you be doing??? I tried to make arrangements to do the San Antonio half and come visit my Texas Catheite friends, but it just didn't work out!

I'm glad you asked this question, because I'll be starting up my training runs again, very soon, and have been wondering this same thing. Thanks for posting it, and good luck with your half! KEEP US POSTED, ok?

Gayle

I will start training for a March full marathon in December, so I am curious to the answer myself....:)

Gayle...I'll be doing the Cowtown Half in Feb. Oh I wish you could come to TX for the San Antonio Half. Why don't you try for the Cowtown (Ft. Worth)? :) And thanks for the wish of good luck. I need it. The last 2 times I trained for a longer distance I was injured and then sidelined for WEEKS!:mad: So which one will you do now?

Carole...Which marathon will you be training for?

BTW....I placed 2nd in my age group today on a hilly adventure race 5K. :D Never mind that my time was slow or that it was a very small race!:eek:

Gin...Congrats on 2nd in your age group!!
22.gif

I will be training for the Napa marathon on March 1, 2009....:)

Sts and Half Marathon Training Together

I would love the answer to this question as well, I am going to run my first 7K on Thanksgiving and then will be training to run the Mini in Indianapolis in May and I am hoping to do STS while training accept I will be running 4 days a week. Any suggestions if they can be done together would be great , I can't wait for STS!!!

Gin-what really was the deciding factor of missing the San Antonio half was the cost of the flights. I want to find a half or full so that I can turn the trip into a family vacation for my kids. Multi-tasking, really. lol THe cost of the flight itself isn't bad, but multiply it by 3 and I get hit with a big WHAMMY!

But I AM doing an April half in my neck of the woods, that I do every year and LOVE this course.

While we're waiting for Cathe's response........

Carole-what websites do you find your running sneakers at? I remember, several times, you saying that you buy your sneakers cheaper online. I've been running in Mizunos since my first full in 2006 but I cannot find it any less expesnive online than in the stores, and they're anywhere from $80 on up!!!! I need a new pair but I've been putting it off because I'm trying to find a good deal.

Gayle

(sorry for the typos, guys..on my new laptop toy! LOL)

Yes Carole, what websites do you use, because I want to get another pair of my favourite Fila Sanctuary running shoes....waiting with baited breath!

Clare

I guess I don't understand why you think that STS training and running are incompatible.

if you are a runner and will be running regualry as your main sport and form of cardio, then you should just add the 3 workouts per week for the STS in place of the weight training you do now. It's only 3 workouts, 3 hours per week, not exhaustive. And if your mid-week runs are only 3-4 miles long, then I simply do not see you getting too tired to complete your weekend log runs. Rather, I think the weight work would strengthen you for it. Having a strong upper body and core actually helps you keep going in running, especially when you are beginning to fatigue and the core work helps with stabilization and prevention of injury. Runnersworld increasingly recommends weight training as cross training for runners.

I also do not know what people mean by "the best results". I think it is something of a misnomer, quite honestly. The best results are achievable by everyone every time they weight lift, simply because they are doing it and putting forth the effort. The results you will get when combining running with STS will be the best results because they represent all that you can achieve at that moment in time, in that particular group of circumstances, assuming you put forth your best, concentrated effort.

The results you achieve will be particular to you. They will be different from the results achieved by any other person, because too many factors come into play to influence the outcomes: genetics, how much and what type of cardio the person is also doing, amount of rest, nutrition, and effort put forth.

I wouldn't worry about it. I would just do it. As long as you are still full of energy for that long weekend run, you are achieving your best results.

Clare

I totally agree w/ Clare on this one. I've been training for the San Antonio race since the beginning of august. I've been alternating strength training on the other days. My long runs on saturdays have not suffered at all. As Clare mentioned, strength training especially w/ a strong core have totally improved my running all around. I'm running faster and stronger and w/ no injuries...knock on wood :)

I also plan to use STS and keep on running on alternate days. Can't go wrong w/ that IMHO.

take care
Gloria

Thanks, Carole!!! Keep your fingers crossed! My wallet doesn't want to let go of the $85 my shoes cost! :)

Gayle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.