Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum app for the iPhone, iPad or Android device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

STS first time!

This is a discussion on STS first time! within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Hi, I'm starting STS for the first time and am looking for a workout partner to help me stay with ...

Like Tree121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 AM

Default STS first time!

Hi,
I'm starting STS for the first time and am looking for a workout partner to help me stay with it. Is anyone interested?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Cathlete

Im in!!! I just ordered it on sale! woo hoo! It has not arrived yet. When are you planning on starting? Wait for me! lol! Do you have the tower? I don't. I ordered the slanted risers and they should be here within a week. I have dumbells from 5 lbs to 20lbs, and a barbell that I can add weights to. I feel like I am prepared!
Carolyn
Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Cathlete

PS: maybe not physically prepared!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Cathlete

I'm in also. I am on my 3rd. round of STS and I LOVE it.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:08 PM
walkingchick's Profile Fields

Mine should be showing up today! I think I would like to join you guys. A group is another incentive for me, and it would be good for me to have that support.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Cathlete

Mine came today too!!! With my very cute free t shirt! I am so excited to start!!! I need to figure out my one rep max for quite a bit of exercises. My slanted risers still have to arrive, but I think I can make do without them for a little while. How are you guys going to do the pull ups? bands? I bought one of those in the doorway bars, but it is denting the wood!
carolyn
Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 PM
walkingchick's Profile Fields

Carolyn-

I was thrilled to open that box today. I wasn't expecting such a large manual, so that was neat to flip through. I didn't have a lot of time to look at the book, and I really wanted to pop a disc in, just to take a look. But tonight was too busy for any of that. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better. I definitely need to do the 1RM test. That alone has me feeling a little overwhelmed. Part of me wonders if I should just skip it for now and get moving, since I am feeling pretty motivated. However, the other side of me says do it right!

When it comes to the pull ups, I will be using bands for now. Oh, and the T is super cute. But, I got a L instead of the XL I requested, so I won't be able to wear it for a while.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:17 AM

I'm starting on 12/19. I'm doing the Low Impact Series and working on my 1RM tests until then!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Cathlete

when doing the one rep max test, should we do all on the same day? It seems like I will not be as strong for the ones that follow the others. You know what I mean? By the time you get to the last exercise, after having done a set of each body part, I will hardly be able to lift my usual weight! Right? How do you go about doing it then? You can't possibly test one body part a day. I won't be able to start forever! help!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Cathlete

Here is something SNM has posted at the beginning of the STS forum. Maybe this will help. Jean
1RM Test - So Easy a Caveman can do it

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can easily determine the importance of each 1RM by checking the exercises rating in the chart: five stars means it is highly recommended that you establish a 1RM, while one star indicates an exercise that is not as essential to establish a 1RM. Blank lines are provided in the chart so that you can record your results, but consider using our online version of the Workout Manager (The Cathe Nation - Workout Manager) to record this information for greater flexibility in making changes as you progress, and to automatically create your workout cards.

1RM Test Exercises Download:

http://cathe.com/tutorials/PDF/STS_1RM_Chart.pdf

Taking a 1RM test is easy. All you do is select a weight for each exercise you want to test for that you think you can do about 10 times maximum with good form. Then perform the exercise doing as many reps as possible.

For example, say you wanted to do a 1RM test for Barbell Curls (Shown as exercise number #178 on your download form). You would simply load your barbell with a weight that you thought you could lift about 10 times with proper form (record this weight in the space provided on the 1RM forms you downloaded). Let’s assume you think you can do 10 standing barbell curls, with a total barbell weight of 50 pounds. Next you would perform the exercise and write down the total reps you actually did on your downloaded form. Let’s assume you thought you could do 10 curls, but actually did 12 (in this case you would record 50 lbs and 12 reps on your 1RM sheet).

You would then go to the 1RM calculator and select “Barbell Curl, Standing” from the exercise list. For the next step, you would enter “50 lbs” for your weight lifted and “12 reps” for actual reps performed. Click the calculate button and our 1RM calculator shows that your maximum lifting weight (1RM) for “Barbell Curl, Standing” is estimated to be 72 pounds. Once we know this number we can easily tell you what weight you should use for any intensity level.

I think i would go by body part and do it that way. It is very time consuming to do all of these 1rms. They are very helpful when doing the program.
Mariposa1973 likes this.