Cathe Friedrich Forums

Want our Forums on the go?
Get Cathe’s forum on your mobile device.

Go Back   The Cathe Nation > Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums > STS Forum

STS Forum Please post all questions about our STS Strength Training series in this forum.

STS first time!

This is a discussion on STS first time! within the STS Forum forums, part of the Cathe Friedrich Fitness Forums category;; Hi, I'm starting STS for the first time and am looking for a workout partner to help me stay with ...

Like Tree103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 AM

Default STS first time!

Hi,
I'm starting STS for the first time and am looking for a workout partner to help me stay with it. Is anyone interested?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:08 PM
walkingchick's Profile Fields

Mine should be showing up today! I think I would like to join you guys. A group is another incentive for me, and it would be good for me to have that support.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:05 PM
walkingchick's Profile Fields

Carolyn-

I was thrilled to open that box today. I wasn't expecting such a large manual, so that was neat to flip through. I didn't have a lot of time to look at the book, and I really wanted to pop a disc in, just to take a look. But tonight was too busy for any of that. Hopefully, tomorrow will be better. I definitely need to do the 1RM test. That alone has me feeling a little overwhelmed. Part of me wonders if I should just skip it for now and get moving, since I am feeling pretty motivated. However, the other side of me says do it right!

When it comes to the pull ups, I will be using bands for now. Oh, and the T is super cute. But, I got a L instead of the XL I requested, so I won't be able to wear it for a while.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:17 AM

I'm starting on 12/19. I'm doing the Low Impact Series and working on my 1RM tests until then!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Cathlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuldog View Post
Jean, I am in the midst of doing my 1rm's. Question! Since I am right handed, my left arm is much weaker than my right. When doing one arm exercises, should I test with my left arm? or my right?
This is a lot of work!! I can't wait to start! I am a litte leary of only doing my legs once a week though. I usually do them 2 and sometimes 3 times a week. It is my trouble zone! How do you guys fit in your cardio? My workout week usually goes something like this: Run 3.5 miles MWF. T &TH I have been doing lower body. Sometimes I do cycle max and turbo barre, lower body tri sets, or butt and guts. I often will do lower body on S or Sun also. So for me to go to lower body just once a week, kinda freaks me out! I used to do pyramid upper body on my run days, but I have been a slacker this past month. Both of my kids are in school full days for the first time, so I have been a shopaholic! lol! By the way...a little about myself. I live in southern NH with my hubby and two kids. Daughter 7 and son almost 10. I will be 42 in March. I am on this endeavor to tone up all the parts that are heading south! I am a stay at home mom. I think one of you refers to yourself as a domestic goddess, which I LOVE! Brilliant! I look forward to the next 3 months with all of you!

Hope you don't mind me *butting* in, but I would use your dominate arm for your 1RM. I think we all have stronger/weaker areas of the body, especially if one has had sports injuries, so I wouldn't necessarily handicap your stronger arm. As far as working legs more then once a week, I work my legs 3-4 times a week, but in different ways. So if I'm doing STS Legs in the morning, in the afternoon I may be skiing or riding (depending on the season). I just don't do consecutive heavy lifting on the same body part and will wait at least 24 hours. This is such a great program, you will LOVE IT!
STS ... oh my #10 is looking good!!!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 AM

Yay! I'm done my 1RM tests for the first week! Now some exercises will be repeated.

Betty - I don't have a barbell or slanted risers either so I will be using dumbells for the weight and a stability ball for inclines. I acually love using my ball this way, it engages other parts of the body and supports the back wonderfully at the same time.

~Rachel
Old 12-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Betty,
It took me about 4 days - I'd do them in the evening, (My normal exercise time is in the morning) so that I wasn't too worn out when I did it. From now on there will be some repeating of the exercises with each disk, so the rest should not take as long.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Catheite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuldog View Post
I am almost done my 1rm's!! What a lot of work! I think I need to go back and do some again. Some of the weight selections were off and I was able to do like 30 reps! That isn't right!
My pull up bar just arrived today! I got the kind that hooks to the joists in the basement ceiling. I am also going to move a small tv/dvd combo into my teeny tiny weight room. That way I can use my weight bench and tower, instead of my step on leg days. If I can do ONE pull up when the 3 months is up I am going to give Cathe a big huge hug through the tv!! I will be totally floored if I can do that!
We shall see!
Are you guys getting psyched up for this?! No one has posted recently so I hope we aren't losing our enthusiam!
Carolyn
Hello, Grateful Dog-

How long did it take you to do all of the 1RM tests? My STS package arrives tomorrow and I'm very excited. Part of me wants to start ASAP and part of me wants to wait until after the Holidays, where there is no danger of me skipping a workout because of impromptu gathering and what not.

Also, I don't have a barbell, but I have dumbells that go up to 60# total. I also have nowhere to put a pull up bar or a doorway for a bracket to use the tubing, since I workout in a great room. Grrrr..

Just call me Jen.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettypcw View Post
I'm scratching my head because I thought I finished shoulders/biceps/chest and triceps/back 1 RMs. I am using the Week 1 Discs 1 and 2 to guide me on the exact form and equipment, but it seems like there are many more of those exercises. So do I find them in Week 2 and so on?

I also calculated some incorrectly, with some exercises going over 30 reps! If only I had seen the tip "You need to experience failure as close to 10 reps as possible when you do a test" before I started! I re-did them today, so my arms are quite tired as I'm typing this.

I'm doing this week's regular workouts on MWF (no weights), and then right after, I do the 1RMs. So this Friday I'll do legs. I think I'm still on track for Dec 19, since I'm following the Week 1 discs.

It has taken me just under an hour and a half to do each group so far. And then I do an extended stretch after. All very time-consuming! I keep asking myself why I complicated things by adding STS, when I have so many Cathe workouts I haven't quite mastered yet?!

So do I understand correctly that when I start the rotation, each time I do a workout I'll have to print out an STS card?

I'm excited for you, Epcot Chick/Jen! Have fun! I don't have a pullup bar or doorway bracket either, so I'm not sure how I will deal with those when I get there.

Keep on truckin'!

Betty
Betty, about your pullup bar dilemma, If you go to CatheTV and watch the first video for STS, she demonstrates how you can do a "pull up" with a band. I've done P90x before and they also demonstrate this method. For me, I have a ballet barre and will be doing mine lying down. Although this targets the muscles a little differently, and I have an in the door pull up bar, I have to use a chair (because I can't do even one unassisted) and I always feel that I put to much weight into my supporting leg, so I like the supine position better.

Yes, there is a workout card for each disk, and as you go the weight it recommends will increase. Fortunately, once you finish your 1RM tests for the first week, you will be using some of those exercises again. And so when you do the tests for the second week, you don't have to repeat the tests for those exercises (unless you want to - since it takes a while to start choosing the right weight to test with, I think I'm going to finish and then go back and do the first ones again).

In regards to the tip "You need to experience failure as close to 10 reps as possible when you do a test," for some exercises the muscles I'm working don't get really close to failure because some other part of my body (my back usually) starts to strain. Has anyone else had this problem while testing?

~Rachel
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Cathlete

Hey Ladies! Just wanted to give congrats to you all for getting ready to start w/STS. It's a great program and you're sure to love it and be SO proud of yourself when you finish! There are a couple of STS check-in's over in the check-in and challenges forum, if you wanted to have even more encouragement. It's always fun doing it together, plus with so many people doing or having finished you'll have people at every level. This always makes it exciting since those that are doing it with you are experiencing what you're experiencing, and those that are ahead of you can give you advice from experience, and those that are behind you can benefit from your advice and encouragement.

Just a suggestion. When I joined a check-in, it really helped me to maximize my goals w/STS and it's a great way to really get to know your fellow Catheletes I'm in two of the STS check-in's now, and either one would be glad to have you:

STS Pyramid Challenge - December

STS BODY ROCKERS WEEK 12/5=)

Or you could start your own!

Happy STSing!

~KiKi~