STS & age

Peer Tree

Cathlete
Hallo all,

New member here. I'm very interested in the STS dvds and am considering pre-ordering.......

So I'm wondering; how many of you "out there" are around my age, 48 years? Although I'm quite fit (lots of running & vinyasa yoga) I guess I'm a bit apprehensive about whether this system is too intensive (especially after seeing the plyo legs video!!).

I'm not usually hung up on this age thing.....I guess I need some words of encouragement.

cheers Rosemarie

I'm 53 and I cannot WAIT for STS!! I may not be able to do everything as produced, but if I can't I'll simply modify. Some of the plyometric moves come to mind because I have a plate and 6 screws securing my head to my shoulders -- LOL!!!

Last edited:
I am 52 and I am looking forward to STS!! Like Miss Lee I may not be able to do everything as scripted but, I will be doing as much as I can! :D
I have been working out with Cathe for over 5 years and I look at this as a good measure of my progress. :D

I'm 51 (and there are quite a few forum members around my age), and I will be modifying some of the moves (not necessarily because of age, but because of my individual history of injuries and my own physical tolerance and limitations, and desire to keep functioning knees into my 60's/70's/80's and beyond!).

Even though the plyo legs workouts looks very high impact (and some moves are, as they are shown), that shouldn't be a deal breaker for the system.

1) You don't have to do the plyo legs workouts (they are alternatives to the heavy-lifting leg workouts)
2) modify-modify-modify. I think everyone should be their own personal trainer, and figure out what is right for them. For example, there's no way I jump OFF a step (WAY to much, and unnecessary, impact for me). For those 'jump-on/jump-off step" moves, I will jump on, then step off, and maybe even use a lower step (Cathe and crew show us a goal to reach for, but we should all do what we can while still challenging ourselves).

I don't tuck jump (that's just a move that doesn't work with my body and never did, even when I was 20!). Instead, I may do a jump squat.

If there's ever a move you want suggestions for modifying, just post in the Open Discussion forum or the "Workouts" forum, and other forum members can give suggestions.

3) you can go at a slower pace, maybe doing 2 reps to Cathe's 3 or 4.

As for STS overall: it will be a challenging, advanced training system, but it's also individualized. You lift what is challening to you (if that's 10# when Cathe's lifting maybe 40#, then so be it. You'll get better in time).

You may need more recovery than STS plans for (I find that after about 45, my recovery needs increased, and even Martina Navratalova sp? and other top athletes need more recovery time as they get past the 40-year mark or so). If so, then take it. There are no "exercise police" checking you out!

If you read certain posts and threads on the forums, you might sometimes feel that 'everyone' here is a hardcore, advanced exerciser, but that's not so. We all just enjoy being fit and healthy.

HTH!

Hi Kathryn,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I certainly recognise the need for more recovery time these last 4 - 5 years but my ego still wants to resist admitting it. But that's another story!!

cheers Rosemarie

Kathryn, thanks for posting how you plan to do STS Plyo Legs. I am 64. I don't know that I will ever do this workout as shown.

As for the upper body workouts, since we all will be starting where we are I am not afraid! I have been doing strength training a long time and plan to keep doing it the rest of my life.

Maybe by the time I'm 90 I will have mastered Plyo Legs LOL!

Hallo all,

New member here. I'm very interested in the STS dvds and am considering pre-ordering.......

So I'm wondering; how many of you "out there" are around my age, 48 years? Although I'm quite fit (lots of running & vinyasa yoga) I guess I'm a bit apprehensive about whether this system is too intensive (especially after seeing the plyo legs video!!).

I'm not usually hung up on this age thing.....I guess I need some words of encouragement.

cheers Rosemarie

46 here! I already modify any and all moves that dont feel quite right to me... I think STS is an "All levels" program. You lift according to YOUR 1RM %'s - you are in competition with nno-one else.... I never use heavy Barbells for legs because I have shoulder issuse...I use a weighted vest if I want to go heavier than my 35# BB ...Plyo? Well its my FAV leg workout...I dont even compare to Cathe & Crew in terms of jumping but I do it modified and still get a great workout.

Hi Peer Tree,
I'm 55 and I'm looking forward to my STS. I still haven't found time to do my 1 rep max test though. I'm not so organized that I can do Holiday stuff, Cathe's December rotation to the best of my ability and squeese in a 1r max test. I'll get there after New Years when my DS goes back to school in Jauary.
Way to go Tinkerbell!
Colleen

I'm 48, too, and really looking forward to STS. Go for it! :) 48 is no where near old. I'm aiming for 140, so I figure I'm still a baby. LOL

47 here and so far I have been able to keep up with what Cathe dishes out. Some days I am more cautious than others, just depends what is going on injury wise. I am looking forward to this because it can build my strength up as I age.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.