"Rotation" for week of 1 rep max tests?

paulababy

Cathlete
I am thinking about setting aside one week in December to try to knock out my 1 rep max tests. Any suggestions from you fitness gurus on the best method? Should I try one body part per day? Break the exercises into 2 body parts per day? Any ideas are welcome. I'm trying to get this done before the dvds arrive, but I need a game plan!!
TIA,
Paula

Paula-I'll be interested to see what the 'gurus' have to say on this! :) I'm currently trying to fit in my 1RM tests around my current rotation. I started yesterday, by adding on some bicep 1RM tests after my shoulder workout.

Gayle

I am thinking about setting aside one week in December to try to knock out my 1 rep max tests. Any suggestions from you fitness gurus on the best method? Should I try one body part per day? Break the exercises into 2 body parts per day? Any ideas are welcome. I'm trying to get this done before the dvds arrive, but I need a game plan!!
TIA,
Paula

Paula- LUV the idea...Did you post this over in OD? There are some real rotation guru's over there..Shoot I'd do it in a heartbeat if I thought my workout could double as the 1RM!

I think I am going to post this in OD. That forum seems to get a little more traffic. Good idea.
Paula

Any Response on this?

I just posted a similar question in Ask Cathe, before I saw this one....Did you get any responses to it anywhere? I'm jumping over to OD now, but just thought I'd ask. I'm doing Cathe's December rotation, and wanted to also work in my 1RM tests by the end of this month.

Tricia,
No replies on a way to do this via a "rotation". What I've been doing is tracking my weights when I'm doing "heavy" work, such as Gym Styles or 4DS, then trying to guess how heavy I could go. I then enter that as my weight for 12 reps. I just don't have the time to do 102 exercises with 5 minute rests in between. Another person said that she does a calculation with her "normal" weight, counts that as 60% of a heavy weight, and then enters that weight for 12 reps. I figure I'll get close enough and then adjust once I start doing the workouts. So far, most of my 1 rep maxes have been higher than the average listed. We'll see - maybe I'll be killing myself the first week!
Paula

Hi Paulababy & Tricia,
I don't know how helpful my plan will be for you, but I thought I would post it since you haven't gotten any other suggestions. I just copied and pasted it from my check-in. So far, I've selected a weight that I can complete 9-11 reps for the exercise. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

My Pre-STS Rotation:
I’ve changed my plan a couple of times, but I think I’m going to stick to this version. I may switch out some of the cardio to a brisk 20 minute walk if I need to save on time.
I’m using the Gym Styles for company when figuring out my 1RM and I’m using the 4DS for my workouts.
For the 1RM, I’ll use the mix and match menu and do 1 set per exercise (of course I'll stick to the 1RM test guidelines). Most of the GS exercises are what I need, but I may modify the exercises a bit if needed.
I’ll start the 1RM days with the exercises listed * and then continue with my daily workout.

I did some assorted leg exercises last week. Mostly, they were the odds & ends and the paper plate exercises. The remaining exercises should represent everything else I need in order to fill out my workout cards. I also think the 4DS will help in gaining any other 1RM information that I may need.

Week 1
S- GS Shoulders (1RM*) & 4DS HIS, Chest, Back

DB OH press (seated)*
DB lateral raise (long & bent)*

M- B&G (1RM* 1st part of overall legs pm), B&G abs, & Bodystrikes (1&2)

Sit N Stands*
Leg Press*
DL w/ wt under toes*
Walking lunges*

T- GS Shoulders (1RM*) & 4DS KB & Biceps, Triceps

Standing front raise (& incline)*

W- B&G (1RM* 1st part of overall legs pm), & Bodystrikes (3 & 4)

One leg squats*
Squats*
Lunge squat combo*
(add) Wall Squats*

TH- GS Shoulders (1RM*) & Abs & PU (plus pull ups)

DB rear flys (modify to prone position on step)*
Upright rows*
(add) BB front press*

F- PS5

S- B&G Abs & Yoga

Week 2
S- TM w/ vest + 4DS Chest, Back & Shoulders

M- 4DS Legs (1RM*), Abs, & Bodystrikes (1 & 2)

Squats heels raise*
DL on step*
Plie squats*
Leg press*
Low plane lunges*

T- GS Triceps & Biceps (1RM*) & 4DS LIS

Flat bench BB triceps extension*
DB Standing OH ext. (1 arm)*
DB cross body kickbacks*
DB double arm kickbacks*

BB curls (standing- narrow grip)*
DB curls (seated)*
Seated concentration curls*
DB Hammer curls (incline)*

W- 4DS Legs (1RM*), Abs & Bodystrikes (3 & 4)

Leg press outer thigh lift*
Outer thigh with band
Squats*
(add)1 leg DLs*

TH- GS Triceps & Biceps (1RM*) & 4DS HIS

Seated double arm overhead ext. on SB*
Side leaning ext. on SB*
DB one arm kickbacks*

BB curls (standing- wide grip)*
DB Hammer curls (standing)*
Reverse DB curls*
(add) Preacher curls on SB*
(add) Seated quarter stop curls both arms*

F- PS4

S- Abs & Yoga

Week 3
S- TM w/vest & 4DS Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders

M- GSL (1RM*) & Bodystrikes (3 & 4)

BB squats*
-narrow
-wide
Front lunges*
Rear lunges*

T- GS Chest & Back (1RM*) & CM

DB Bench press*
DB Chest flys*
BB Close grip bench press*

DB rows*
BB rows*
(add) Horizontal rows (both)*

W- GSL (1RM*) & Bodystrikes (1 & 2)

BB DL (toes elevated)*
Slow motion lunges (may change to Static lunges)*
Calf raises*
(add) Side lunges*

TH- GS Chest & Back (1RM*) 4DS KB

DB incline bench press*
DB Incline chest flys*
DB Incline chest fly on stability ball*

1 arm rows*
BB pullovers*
(add) Horizontal rows (1 arm)*

F- PS5 & CM

S- TM w/vest & Yoga

Well that's my plan,

jordan

Last edited:
Thanks, Jordan.
That's very helpful!
And thanks to the OP for bringing up this idea. It's a less daunting way to do the 1RM tests (I might even end up doing some!).

Thanks, Jordan. Looks good. Using my "best guess" method from working out with 4DS this week, I calculated 28 "tests". Next week, I was planning to do GS anyway, so I think I might try your rotation. Can't wait for Christmas to get here - I think I have DH talked into using STS with me! BTW, I think Cathe will kill him :D!!!
Paula

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.