Pull up options

janie1234

Cathlete
Hello. I saw in the clips that someone was using the tubing as an option for the pull up. Where do you buy the wall mounted structure that you use to hook the tubing to? I know that there are door options but all doors are far away from my workout area. Thanks in advance

Hello. I saw in the clips that someone was using the tubing as an option for the pull up. Where do you buy the wall mounted structure that you use to hook the tubing to? I know that there are door options but all doors are far away from my workout area. Thanks in advance

here is a direct link: http://www.power-systems.com/p-2938-web-slide-exercise-rail-system.aspx

The wall racks are pretty expensive and I think a simple hook screwed into a wall or ceiling would be a much cheaper alternative. If you do have a door nearby our resistance tubing comes with a door strap that makes it super simple to install and remove.

Wow, SNM thanks for the quick reply. Oh my goodness you weren't kidding. It cost more than STS itself!! I was thinking of making my own contraption using a bike hook. I would love to just get your door tube option, but and I know it may be so hard to believe the closest door in my house is pretty far away and just wouldn't work. Can I ask if there are other excerisizes using weights that would mimic a pull up or work the same body parts? I keep researching and asking but I keep getting the same response, use the door and the tubes. This can't be the only way, . .is it? Does an arnold press work the same muscle group? Thanks for your help.

If you can catch a Go-Fit tube it usually comes with a door attachment (you stick the thick end over the top of the door and close the door). The bands run $12-$20 (depends on where you buy them - and sometimes you can find similar bands at TJMax for $7-$12). They work well.

I purchased a Total Trainer from bayoufitness.com last January. I found out I could do pull ups on the machine lifting anywhere from 4% to 69% of my body weight. I am now able to pull up about 53% of my body weight in 3 sets of 12 reps each. Once I can pull up the 69%, I can add extra free weights to the machine up to 100 pounds. I'm not suggesting anyone should buy the machine to help with pull ups, but if you already own the machine (or a Total Gym), it may be helpful to look at the machine in a new light.

Have a TT, too!

I purchased a Total Trainer from bayoufitness.com last January. I found out I could do pull ups on the machine lifting anywhere from 4% to 69% of my body weight. I am now able to pull up about 53% of my body weight in 3 sets of 12 reps each. Once I can pull up the 69%, I can add extra free weights to the machine up to 100 pounds. I'm not suggesting anyone should buy the machine to help with pull ups, but if you already own the machine (or a Total Gym), it may be helpful to look at the machine in a new light.

I have a Total Trainer, too, and do the incline pullups on it. I do as many as I can assisted, then with the Iron Woody band, last with the Total Trainer. I just don't do them enough 'cause they're HARD and I guess I sort of avoid them! Shame on me!

I have a doorway pullup bar that's worked out great for me. At one point I was able to do 9 unassisted pullups. I wish I had kept it up but I can't do any now. What I do is put the high step under the bar and put some of my weight on it so they are sort of assisted pullups. I still get good DOMS from that and as I get stronger I won't need to use the step as much. I think I paid $30 for the bar and it comes off the doorway very easily without needing any hardware to attach it. The only thing you need is moulding around the door frame. I got mine from Amazon.

I was at the playground with my kids yesterday and I was using the bars at various heights to try pull ups in different ways. The way I liked the best was with my feet resting on the ground and pulling up in a supine position, pretty much exactly as the modification on the new Cathe tower will work.

_MG_0060.jpg

I really liked it!! With the bar at different heights and my legs at slightly different angles, like Cathe and Denise are doing above, I felt it in different places.

So this confirms it....I REALLY want the Power Tower when it comes out!!

I've been doing flexed arm hangs. I do a set of three. I'm doing the chin up arm position. They're easier and then I'll move over to the pull up version. I started a couple of months ago and now I can do 2 chinups. That's how I started with the military pushups. Once I got one, I was on my way. My goal is to be able to do a pull up by the end of the year. I hope to do more than one.

These are great suggestions. I think I will actually just loop a long resistance band over a door and then shut it in there. Can't wait for the PowerTower to come out!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.