poundage in STS

grad2010

Cathlete
I hope my question doesnt confuse you or anyone, but what weight do I use if my 1rm at 60% is 9, 11, 13 or 17lbs and I dont have the plates or weight magents to attach? For example, if I am supposed to use 9lbs for a particular exercise, should I decrease my weight to 8lbs or increase to 10lbs?

Also, in Meso 2, when doing the double incline press lets say that my 1 rep max is 15lbs for the 1st set. For the 2nd set I should reduce my poundage by 20% which is using 12lbs, the 3rd set should be reduced another 20%, what poundage should I use? If I reduce another 20% from the 1st set the weight to use is 9lbs, if I reduce another 20% from the 2nd set I would use 10lbs. Which poundage would I use? Thanks, Veronica

Last edited:
From another thread I found pace weights and bought them. They are 1/2lb weights that are magnetic and attach to your db or bb. The worked on my plastic coated db also. They are at www.paceweights.com
They seem to be perfect for this application. I have also seen Cathe use weighted gloves to add a pound.
Joan

I hope my question doesnt confuse you or anyone, but what weight do I use if my 1rm at 60% is 9, 11, 13 or 17lbs and I dont have the plates or weight magents to attach? For example, if I am supposed to use 9lbs for a particular exercise, should I decrease my weight to 8lbs or increase to 10lbs?

Just use the closest weight that you have. A 1RM test is not exact and does have a degree of inaccuracy.

Also, in Meso 2, when doing the double incline press lets say that my 1 rep max is 15lbs for the 1st set. For the 2nd set I should reduce my poundage by 20% which is using 12lbs, the 3rd set should be reduced another 20%, what poundage should I use? If I reduce another 20% from the 1st set the weight to use is 9lbs, if I reduce another 20% from the 2nd set I would use 10lbs. Which poundage would I use? Thanks, Veronica

You would deduct the 20% from your previous set and thus would use a 10lb weight. FYI: as long as you use our WM all calculations will automatically be done for you and the weight you need will be printed on your workout card.

another option is to use ankle and/or wrist weights that are adjustable. I got a 10# set that will add up to 5#'s per arm/leg... I have the microloaded gloves, but haven't tried to use them with DB's yet... but as Joan said, it only adds up to 1# per hand, so sometimes that is just not enough...

Another past post suggested to search a hardware store for just some standard magnets... they apparently have some that work well, but I haven't done any search for them at my local Home Depot yet... Here's that link (I hope):

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252660

I hope I read this right, because it might be only to "hold" plate weights, not actually used as additional weights... not sure if they come in different sizes or what, but worth the look-see...

not knocking Pace or Plate weights at all, but they are a bit expensive and shipping adds even more cost...

good luck...

Last edited:
Thank you for replying. Money is sort of tight for me right now, so buying anything additional is not an option for me. I guess I'll have to wing it without the weighted gloves or magnetic plates. Veronica

couldn't you just buy the cheaper plates for a barbell or hand weights pretty cheap? I want to say I got these ankle weights tht have removable 1 lb weights which i use almost like a hand weight. I bought them for less then $10? Just an idea :D

I hope it works b/c i spent my money on the sts system as my xmas gift :D I am excited :D

http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Adjustable-Ankle-Wrist-Weights/dp/B0007IS70K/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1229591867&sr=1-22

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2727761

I have similar to those , hope they work. These are only $10 or less :D

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.