Post-Surgery Weight Limit question

LovingLife

Cathlete
I'm just about over the fence on pre-ordering here, but I have one final concern -- I had pelvic floor surgery a few years ago and am not supposed to lift over 40 pounds while standing. If I'm sitting or lying down for upper body work, I can lift over that because it doesn't put any weight on my pelvic floor. But I won't be able to lift over 40 pounds for squats, lunges, or dead lifts. Is this going to hinder me from getting progress on Mesocycle 3?

I'm not Cathe, but she was showing tuck jumps as a sub or option in place of some of the squat rack exercises so if you can do that or sub other exercises (perhaps more volume, less weight), then I would think you could still make gains.

By the way, just watched Return to Slender by Charlene Prickett today. I'm recovering from a total abdominal hysterectomy but I got it for the pelvic floor exercises. She has a great anatomy lesson and lesson on kegels on it. Can you do those types of exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor some?

Hopefully Cathe will have a second to chime in with her recommendations for you (or kathryn or Jordan or some of the more experienced lifters... maybe even aquajock).

Gibbee

Thanks for the info Gibbee. I'm sure every little bit with Kegals, PF work, and even Pilates helps. I tried all sorts of books, videos, and Physical Therapy before my surgery and to quote my PT, she said it was like trying to catch the water from Niagra Falls with a pail. It could make a difference and is helpful, but I do really have to watch how much I lift too.

The other thought I had was that you could approach your weight training like Cathe does in pure strength and some of her other workouts... doing a pre-exhaust set (or maybe a post-exhaust set) at a lighter weight, higher reps, to exhaust the muscle and then you could still hit that 40 lb. ceiling w/a barbell or 2 20lb DB's or whatever for muscle group you're working...

Just a thought!

Thanks for that idea Gibbee -- I'll have to pull out Pure Strength again so I can familiarize myself with the technique.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.