Ok...I KNOW this is a stupid ?

Kimenem

Cathlete
I'm printing the workout cards so it's easier for me to test. But as I'm looking at them, obviously it has the ones listed I've already tested. So, when STS gets here, and I'm getting ready to work out, which weight do I use? The target weight? Or the 1RM weight?

The target weight. Each of the three series uses from 60% to 90% of 1RM. This is not stupid. I think this way of lifting is new to many of us.
Joan

I'm printing the workout cards so it's easier for me to test. But as I'm looking at them, obviously it has the ones listed I've already tested. So, when STS gets here, and I'm getting ready to work out, which weight do I use? The target weight? Or the 1RM weight?

As far as STS is concerned you only need to know your 1RM for each exercise. Your 1RM is the heaviest weight you can lift one time for an exercise. This is not the weight you will be lifting in the STS program. Instead we will use a percentage of your 1RM to tell you what weight to lift for every week of the STS program.

Let's say your 1RM for a Barbell Chest Press 100 lbs. In mesocycle #2 if you do a Barbell Chest Press during the first week you will need to use a weight that is 70% of your 1RM or in your case (.70 x 100 lbs = 70 lbs). During the 4th week of mesocycle #2 we will instruct you to do the same Barbell Chest Press using 80% of your 1RM. In your case this would be (.8 x 100 lbs = 80 lbs).

You don't have to worry about the math in STS, the Workout Manager will calculate everything for you. Knowing your 1RM just makes it easier for us to communicate to you what weight you should be using based on your fitness level for any exercise.

I am still one that does not "get" this. I did a hypothetical test for the seating alternating seated overhead press. If I put in that I di 8 reps using 10 pounds, it says that my 1RM is 12. How can that be the heaviest weight I can lift for one time for an excercise, when I supposedly just lifted 10 pounds 8 times? Will the "target reps" come into play at all? Do we use the other part of the calculator that shows "recommended weight to perform quantity of reps" ?

Sorry for all the questions, this just seems a little overwhelming for some of us. :confused:

If you can only lift 10lbs 8 times and absolutely no more, then your 1 rep is 12. In the first set of wo Cathe will do the target rep of 15. If using 60% of 12or 7lbs, you will also try to do 15 reps. If you can't, you record actual reps . Then you decide if you need to reduce your actual weight so you can do 15 reps.
Hope this helps,
Joan

Thanks Joan, I think I am going to just do them, put the numbers in and stop trying to analyze the thing! When it's time to do the workouts, I will try to use whatever it tells me to!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.