No STS For Me

princessbear

Cathlete
I'm so bummed. Had follow-up appointment last week with orthopedist for my shoulder - which has NOT been responding to PT. The doctor ordered an MRI which I had last Friday - went in for results today and....tendon is torn, spur is really impinging my movement, so he is going to need to go in and clean out the joint and repair the tear... so, I'm laid up for a good 6 weeks of workouts, and then not fully recovered for 3-6 months.... With $$$ being tight, I can't justify keeping my order for STS when I don't know when (or if) I'll be able to use it ... this bites the big one.... just needed to vent.

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} I am so sorry to hear that, Mary. I send prayers and thoughts your way for a fast recovery. Don't rule STS completely out - just look at it as something to work towards.

Also just got back from the vet with my cat Princess - who has been losing weight and appetite is sporadic... blood work first ($185) and then possibly xrays and ultrasound to see if she has intestinal cancer (another $600). So that was the nail on the STS coffin. Prayers for me AND Princess please. I'm just beside myself with all that is hitting me lately ...

sorry to hear about your shoulder and your cat Princess...hopefully surgery and rehab will go well and Princess will be OK :) (((((HUGS to you both)))))
julie

Hang in there!

Oh Mary, that is just not any fun.... I'm sorry about your shoulder, but hopefully with the surgery and the physical therapy that follows you'll be back and able to get full use of your shoulder again! Yes, you get pulled out of action, but you do get better! Or at least that is my hope. I can relate... I was out of action for almost 3 months with a sprained ankle. It has been very upsetting. So once all this is over, you can get STS and get strong too! Think of it this way, STS can be fabulous way to regain strength in the area once you are done with all the PT etc... (and I'm assuming your deductibles etc will be met by the time you are ready to start physically so that you can be ready for the $$ of the workouts).

And of course I'm sorry to hear about your fur-baby. I love mine and anytime things like this happen it is absolutely gut wrenching. I'm praying that whatever is causing this is not cancer, but instead something easily remedied.

((hugs))

Hi Mary -- I'm really sorry to hear about your shoulder! I know what you're going through because I had surgery for the same problem in mid-April (impingement and rotator cuff tear).

I hope my experience was atypical, but I wasn't cleared to work out again for about four months and even now, I still can't do certain exercises (dips, planks, overhead presses, etc.). Sometimes, though, you have to take one step back to take two steps forward. I wish you a super speedy recovery! If you have any questions about what to expect, feel free to ask.

{{{Mary}}}

I remember reading posts about your shoulder giving you trouble. So sorry to hear it is more serious and you need surgery. I just wanted you to know there is hope for a full recovery. I had a total tear of my rotator cuff repaired 2 years ago and I am back to doing everything I could do before the injury. Yes...it was a very long rehab but if you stay consistent with your PT exercises and follow Dr's orders you can do it.

Sending good thoughts and prayers for you and Princess. Please keep us posted.

JJ

Get Well Hugs

I'm so bummed. Had follow-up appointment last week with orthopedist for my shoulder - which has NOT been responding to PT. The doctor ordered an MRI which I had last Friday - went in for results today and....tendon is torn, spur is really impinging my movement, so he is going to need to go in and clean out the joint and repair the tear... so, I'm laid up for a good 6 weeks of workouts, and then not fully recovered for 3-6 months.... With $$$ being tight, I can't justify keeping my order for STS when I don't know when (or if) I'll be able to use it ... this bites the big one.... just needed to vent.

Hi Mary! I'm so sorry to hear of all your sad news. I wish you lots of luck with your shoulder. Shoulders can definitely be tricky but once you get to the root of the problem the recovery is usually very good. I wish you lots of recovery hugs for both you and your little kitty. I sure do hope it is not cancer. I'm sending extra prayers to both of you. We'll be waiting for you when your back in action (whether it be STS or any of your workouts in general) but for now make your healing your full priority:)

Mary,

I am so sorry!!!! You were so hopeful!!!! Was this your first visit with the orthopedic surgeon? Did your doctor take x-rays before prescribing PT? When I sought medical attention for my rotator cuff, I went straight to the orthopedic surgeon. I requested an MRi, but he took x-rays instead. Later, I asked my PT how he could rule out an impingement from x-rays. He told me that calcium deposits would show up on the x-ray.

PT must have been so painful for you!!!!

Focus on getting yourself healthy!!! Please keep us updated on how everything goes.

HUGS!!!!
Wendy

I'm so sorry. I'm sending plenty of healing vibes and prayers your way and I hope you recover quickly and fully.

just dropping in to say especially sorry for your kitty! We just had a mini scare with one of my beloved kitties (they are sisters, only 5) and FIP/cancer and it was a rough few months of tons of tests and stuff, so I completely know what you are dealing with and wish you all the best. Anyone who has a pet knows - it's as if they are your children!!!

Best of luck!

OMG - thank you all for your support, prayers and encouragement - for both me AND Princess. I'm not overly concerned about my surgery. First - Cathe responded to MY post!!! OMG - that brought a smile to my face to get a post from her. I saw the orthopedic doctor 2 months ago, and had already had xrays taken. I got a cortisone shot and he prescribed Aleve 2X a day for inflammation and PT - funny, but in the beginning, I had NO pain - just this bone protruding from the place where my clavicle meets the shoulder, which he said was likely from the tendon being so enflamed. But NOW - it is ... well, not "painful" - like it's not waking me up at night, but this past week it has been painful to move, etc. I have modified my upper body workouts to not include dips, overhead extensions or any shoulder work ... but am not going to do ANY upper body work until I am cleared and finished with PT. Dr. said it was okay this week to do what he okayed me to do before, but it is too sore and why live one more week in pain?

SET - I'm curious about the pain ... how much did you experience? Did your doctor indicate why you were an "atypical" case - were there complications?

As for Princess - well, it appears that she may have early stage kidney disease, so we are putting her on kidney food and I have to give her Pepcid 5mg, once a day ... the kidney issue is making her tummy upset when she eats, which is why she isn't eating too much. The bloodwork showed high creatinine and urinalysis showed high kidney levels, so the doctor is hopeful this is what the problem is. This is not GREAT news, because it is the start of a long road that we will "manage" but not cure... but it is nice to know (hope) that I have a number of years hopefully, instead of a number of months...

Thanks again, all. I'll keep you posted.

Mary,

I am so sorry!!!! You were so hopeful!!!! Was this your first visit with the orthopedic surgeon? Did your doctor take x-rays before prescribing PT? When I sought medical attention for my rotator cuff, I went straight to the orthopedic surgeon. I requested an MRi, but he took x-rays instead. Later, I asked my PT how he could rule out an impingement from x-rays. He told me that calcium deposits would show up on the x-ray.

PT must have been so painful for you!!!!

Focus on getting yourself healthy!!! Please keep us updated on how everything goes.

HUGS!!!!
Wendy

Wendy - I had the xray first, cortisone shot, PT and then since it was getting WORSE, an MRI which showed the tear and the spur ... fingers crossed I am good as new in a few months!

quote: SET - I'm curious about the pain ... how much did you experience? Did your doctor indicate why you were an "atypical" case - were there complications?

Hi Mary -- ha ha (laughs nervously)... I don't want to scare you or anything, but the pain was tremendous. After my MRI, my doctor thought that my only problem was the impingement (I too didn't have much pain before surgery, although my arm didn't seem to heal with just PT and cortizone), but during the surgery he found that I had a partial (almost full thickness) tear. I woke up from the surgery expecting 6-8 weeks to full recovery only to hear that I had three to six months! sigh

The pain was about a 6-8 on a scale of 10 for probably about five weeks (and an 8-9 when my PT was pulling on it in therapy!), and the worst part is that the pain was chronic. I was in a sling for the first four weeks (they will tell you to expect to be in a sling day and night for about that long). Then, one day during my fifth week of PT, the pain became less noticeable... and then it started to go away. They say that once you're over the pain you don't remember it, and I now believe that because that time is sort of a blur.

Anyway, all is now returning to normal for me -- I'll hit the six month mark on October 16. The pain is still there, but I only notice it sometimes. I can now do "real" workouts (except for dips, planks, etc.). And I can even sleep on my side! (If nothing else, this experience has (re-)taught me to appreciate the simple things in life -- like being able to put my hair in a pony tail or drive a car. It took several months to do either!)

I don't know if my experience is atypical or not. My doctor didn't tell me it was. The only reason I said that is that you'll hear that you'll be back to normal after about three months and completely healed after six, and I wasn't (although to an outside observer, I probably looked/look that way). Plus, when I went for my first month follow up with my doc, he asked me if the pain was less, and I told him it was more... so I inferred from his question that perhaps some people experience less pain than I did. I hope you're on that end of the spectrum!

Anyway, I wish you an uncomplicated surgery with a speedy recovery. On the good side, the scars are very small -- although I have four of them, a couple look like freckles! I will send you good thoughts and well wishes through cyberspace and hope that your experience is very different from mine (and yes, it really could be!).

SET
PS I'm glad to hear Princess is doing well. I'm sending her good energy and well wishes too!

My doctor said it is only a partial tear as far as he can see - but if it is more than 50% torn when he gets in there, he will repair it. Otherwise, it will heal on its own. I do hope that I don't have the same post-surgery as you, SET. How long until you were able to drive, may I ask?

As for Princess, she is taking to the new food pretty well, thankfully. Her appetite was better at dinner this evening so that is hopeful.

Thanks again, everyone, for your encouragement, prayers and support!

Hi Mary -- Yes, hopefully your surgery will be very different! My injury is on my right shoulder, and I drive a stick. So I couldn't drive for about three months, and even then fifth gear on the highway was a very scary proposition! If you drive an automatic, you should have a different experience there too. Where I live (in VA), it's illegal to drive wearing a sling. I met people during my PT that got back on the road as soon as their slings were gone.

By the way, I don't know if anyone told you this, but you should have a good supply of shirts that button in the front. Putting anything over your head for awhile will be a little dicey!

SET

i just got a steroid shot for my shoulder(monday). what pt were u doing before your followup? i am doing inhome pt i did when i had bursitus years ago but i am still in pain.today i did pushpull with light weight and was sore afterwards.

laura

I saw a physical therapist for 2 months - the pain got worse, although I know it wasn't from PT - doctor and pt said I likely may be one of the 15% who don't respond well to PT for impingement. I'm on day 3 after my surgery - the tendon was only 10% torn so he didn't have to repair it thank god - just decompression/cleaning out of shoulder joint and spurs. I am so excited that there is no real *pain* - just very sore. Manageable with Tylenol and Aleve - no Percocet since Saturday a.m. Took dressing off yesterday and am VERY MUCH looking forward to a shower today (had to wait 72 hours - needless to say I STINK!). I am out of work all week - doctors orders - and am already bored to tears though. It's not like I can work out to kill the time.:(

I'm dying from not exercising... and made the big mistake of getting on the scale yesterday to discover I am 8 pounds heavier than I was on Friday a.m. - I know that's from all the fluid they pumped into me ... but UGH.

Going to Walmart to shop for zip up sweatshirts to wear this week ... all my shirts are t-shirt style - and can't lift arm up over head yet. I see doctor for follow up on Friday a.m. and then will start back at PT next week I think...I'm going to follow doctors orders to the letter so I can get back in the game ... feel like I will be starting from scratch ... but it's all good.

Thank you all for your thoughts/prayers.

That is fantastic that they did not have to do so much to your shoulder. I'm assuming that means that your recovery will be that much faster. And absolutely wonderful that regular meds are working for you. My husband had a torn rotator cuff plus cleaning etc and was taking Lodone (sp?) for days. He said it didn't make him loopy but only cut the pain! Crazy...

I am one to get impatient, but you are right, following doctor's orders will absolutely get you back into the game faster. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.