i do not understand 1rm

when sts is delivered will there be a manual that explains how to use the 1rm calculater. i will understand it better if it is thoroughly explained on paper

laura

maybe this will help...

Hi Laura:

try http://www.cathe.com/STS-FAQ.htm

this is Cathe's explaination of STS and 1RM and how they are used together...

but maybe your question is how to use the 1RM testing page in Workout Manager?

There are many who will not be doing the 1RM testing for STS, however, Cathe has said that in order to get the most benefit from doing STS it is highly recommended... I have done a few of the 1RM tests, but honestly I am fairly new to working out and I do not know what all the exercises are as they are listed. According to Cathe and SNM they will be adding video clips of how to do each exercise, but I'm sure that won't be any time soon as they are working on getting the rest of STS complete...

I tried to search for "1RM" for other threads, but it wouldn't come up... I would just say to play around with it in WM (Workout Manager). as long as you don't save anything in there, it does not affect anything.

In WM, there is a tab on the left hand column for it under TOOLS, and select the 1RM calculator... for Step 1 you have to select one of the "radio" buttons for the "Choose exercise to show in list above" and then it will populate the drop down Exercise box ~ use the down arrow to select an exercise... Select a weight that will challenge you (from your experience in doing other weight/strength workouts and do the exercise. for Step 2, enter the weight you can safely and in good form perform the selected exercise. the goal is to work your muscle to failure during the 8-12 reps. and in Step 3 enter the number of reps you can do. if you can do more than 12 reps, then wait for awhile until your muscles worked have recovered, and you will have to raise your weight until you fall into 8-12 reps. Then hit Calculate and then Step 4 SAVE your results. When STS comes out, and you are doing workout X you should be able to print out a workout card for every workout that will have all your 1RM results for all the exercises in that workout, and you will know what weights to use during your workout.

clear as mud I'm sure :) but again, play around in the 1RM calculator... you can't mess anything up, and you can always change your results when you get a few under your belt and understand things better... It's not so intimidating once you get in and get your hands dirty! ;)

HTH's

Last edited:
One Rep Max

Your One Rep Max (1RM) is simply the maximum amount of weight you can lift one time for any exercise. Since it would not be safe or practical for you to try to determine what the maximum weight is you can lift for every exercise we use a 1RM test calculator to help you determine approximately what your one rep max is for every exercise.

Taking a 1RM test is easy. All you do is select a weight for each exercise you want to test for that you "think" you can do about 10 times with good form. Then perform the exercise doing as many reps as possible.

For example say you wanted to do a 1RM test for "Bicep Barbell Curls, standing". You would simply load your barbell with a weight that you thought you could do about 10 times with proper form. Lets assume you thought you could do 10 Barbell Curls, standing with a total barbell weight of 50 lbs. Next you would perform the exercise and write down the total reps you actually did. Let's assume you thought you could do 10 curls, but actually did 12. You would then go to our 1RM Calculator and first select "Barbell Curls, Standing" from the exercise list. Then in step #2 you would enter "50 lbs" for your weight lifted and in step #3 enter "12 reps" for actual reps performed. Click the calculate button and our 1RM calculator shows that your maximum weight you could lift (1RM) for "Barbell Curls, standing" is estimated to be 72 lbs.

Once you know your 1RM for each exercise you can quickly and easily determine the correct weight to use for each exercise in every mesocycle and week of the STS series. Knowing the correct weight to use for every exercise is extremely important and will help you obtain the results you’re striving for more safely and quickly.

Our 1RM calculator will be a lot easier for you to use and understand once we release the final version of the calculator which will also include a video tutorial.

Definitely waiting for the tutorial but also definitely wishing for a manual or at least some kind of printed material.

. Since it would not be safe or practical for you to try to determine what the maximum weight is you can lift for every exercise we use a 1RM test calculator to help you determine approximately what your one rep max is for every exercise.
Ahhhh, this was the missing piece of the puzzle for me! I couldn't figure out why if its a ONE rep max we were told to do 10 reps! This is what I get for skimming through explanations! Thanks!

I've only done one 1RM so far but now I'm excited about doing the rest!

Your One Rep Max (1RM) is simply the maximum amount of weight you can lift one time for any exercise. Since it would not be safe or practical for you to try to determine what the maximum weight is you can lift for every exercise we use a 1RM test calculator to help you determine approximately what your one rep max is for every exercise.

Taking a 1RM test is easy. All you do is select a weight for each exercise you want to test for that you "think" you can do about 10 times with good form. Then perform the exercise doing as many reps as possible.

For example say you wanted to do a 1RM test for "Bicep Barbell Curls, standing". You would simply load your barbell with a weight that you thought you could do about 10 times with proper form. Lets assume you thought you could do 10 Barbell Curls, standing with a total barbell weight of 50 lbs. Next you would perform the exercise and write down the total reps you actually did. Let's assume you thought you could do 10 curls, but actually did 12. You would then go to our 1RM Calculator and first select "Barbell Curls, Standing" from the exercise list. Then in step #2 you would enter "50 lbs" for your weight lifted and in step #3 enter "12 reps" for actual reps performed. Click the calculate button and our 1RM calculator shows that your maximum weight you could lift (1RM) for "Barbell Curls, standing" is estimated to be 72 lbs.

Once you know your 1RM for each exercise you can quickly and easily determine the correct weight to use for each exercise in every mesocycle and week of the STS series. Knowing the correct weight to use for every exercise is extremely important and will help you obtain the results you’re striving for more safely and quickly.

Our 1RM calculator will be a lot easier for you to use and understand once we release the final version of the calculator which will also include a video tutorial.

Peh! NOW I understand too! Thanks, SNM! If only now you could come over and actually do it for me :p he he, j/k.

yeay! the video tutorial!

That's why I haven't started my 1RM's. (at least I thought it was a good excuse );) Will this be released well ahead of the STS so that I can calculate them ahead of time?

Thank you!

Workout Manager next release

You can actually start using the 1RM calculator now if you want to. The next version of the Workout manager will be a little easier to understand and will have pictures for all the different STS exercises, but it will still calculate your 1RM just like the current version does. But to answer your question, yes we will launch the next version of the Workout Manager before STS is released. This will be a major release and will offer a much improved and easier to use interface. Though work will always continue on the Workout Manager, our next release will look the way the final version of the program is supposed to look.

the 1RM pictures will be helpful!!

:D
You can actually start using the 1RM calculator now if you want to. The next version of the Workout manager will be a little easier to understand and will have pictures for all the different STS exercises, but it will still calculate your 1RM just like the current version does. But to answer your question, yes we will launch the next version of the Workout Manager before STS is released. This will be a major release and will offer a much improved and easier to use interface. Though work will always continue on the Workout Manager, our next release will look the way the final version of the program is supposed to look.

Thank you SNM! The 1RM pictures will be helpful! I will anxiously be waiting for the new-and-improved-next-version of the Workout manager release. :) I imagine it would be in the next couple of weeks if it is suppose to precede the STS release?

thx again!

For biceps, for example, there are something like eighty exercises listed in the drop-down box in the workout manager. Surely we are not doing a 1RM for each and every exercise are we? Is that really the idea, or are there representative calculations for each muscle group? This is unclear to me.

For biceps, for example, there are something like eighty exercises listed in the drop-down box in the workout manager. Surely we are not doing a 1RM for each and every exercise are we? Is that really the idea, or are there representative calculations for each muscle group? This is unclear to me.

I'm not sure where you're getting 80 bicep exercises? The STS program only has about 114 "total" exercises. You can not do a 1RM test for a "muscle group". Instead, you need to do a 1RM test for every individual exercise. You don't have to test for every exercise listed, but you should test for as many exercises as possible, especially the main ones like barbell rows, one arm rows, barbell curls, flat bench press, chest flys, lateral raise, squats, front lunges etc.

It really doesn't take that long to test. You can easily complete all of the most important 1RM test in one week.The alternative to testing is to just guess which weight to use and this takes time too and makes working out frustrating or less effective if you select the wrong weight.

Though testing is optional, a little time spent now will make your workouts more enjoyable and beneficial in the long run. And remember, you can use your 1RM test results to help you select the proper weight for any workout or DVD you do - not just STS workouts.

Taking a 1RM test will not only help you in your STS workouts, but will make you more aware of using the correct weight in all of your workouts. Studies have shown that most exercisers usually select a weight that is incorrect and thus their results suffer. A 1RM test does require some work and effort on your part, but if there is one thing I would recommend a person do or try to improve the results from their workout program it would be to take a 1RM test.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.