How are you preparing for STS?

CollinsMom

Cathlete
Now that we *sort-of* know when STS will be released, I feel like I need to be doing a structured program to prepare. But I'm not sure what that is... Especially with the holidays and all the extra eating right around the corner...

I'm confused!! What are you all doing to prepare??

I am actually in a recovery mode

and take it easy. I usually work out hard 6 days a week, with at least one hour a day. Now I am doing workouts that are only 30 - 45 minutes long, so I will have the focus of longer workouts for the STS rotation. The shorter workouts really fit into the holidday schedule and when STS comes out, the body will be shocked by doing longer workouts.

I am using Cathe's Pre Mixes, Tony's PHH, Coach Troy's Strendurance and Jillian's 30 day shred.

Since the first mesocycle is endurance, I'm doing 4 Day Split because it's a heavier series for me. That way I can mix it up a little. I don't know if that's actually "preparing" for STS, though,

Right now I'm doing one part per day plus cardio worked in and when I'm done with that I'm going to do the 4DS series for 4 weeks which should bring me right up to STS if it's shipped around Christmas.

Now that we *sort-of* know when STS will be released, I feel like I need to be doing a structured program to prepare. But I'm not sure what that is... Especially with the holidays and all the extra eating right around the corner...

I'm confused!! What are you all doing to prepare??

I just finished a month of splits & now I'm starting the following: (hoping sts will really shock me!)

Day 1: Upper Body
Day 2: Lower Body Heavy Weights
Day 3: Full Body (Tony Horton or Tracey Staehle)
Day 4: Plyo (usually Tony)
Day 5: Upper Body
Day 6: Lower Body Glutes Focused

I'll keep with this format until I start STS - I am also using as many other instructors DVds as I can stand just to keep things mixed up.... Extra lower focus too- just because thats the area I'm really focued on this time of year.

i'm following the November rotation right now. I have a feeling STS will be like getting my first digital camera, it sat in the box for awhile beacuse it was intimidating...I plan to use STS for the months of Feb., March, and April to be in "good shape" for the summer, and then us it again in the fall and repeat. I hope that's the way to use STS. I don't just want to use it once and put it away, it is too much of an investment for me to use once. Kay

Not me boy... i'm gonna be ripping open that packaging like it was a million dollars!!! I'm also recommitting to getting my body back into shape after it arrives! I am working on solidifying my workout routine to 5-6 times per week right now and doing Cathe's November Rotation, so I won't have to worry about that as it will be more automatic, and then will hit the eating thing hard after all the Holiday festivities... I know I could be getting better results right now, but I am just not into torturing myself (any more than Cathe already does) at the moment I will just wait until after all the temptations of the Holiday season have past!

I would also hope that Cathe will take the STS release into consideration when she is preparing the December rotation and hopefully that will be a good gear up for STS release and all the New Years resolutions!

I'm not as worried about getting into the STS routine as I am about figuring out how to eat right to lose fat.

I too am just waiting out the holiday/vacation season, and am fine right now maintaining my physical status while being able to enjoy what I eat.

But I don't want to do STS and not see real results because I can't curb my eating. I plan to use STS as a way to motivate me to eat right, and really use those 3 months as an opportunity to lose some stubborn fat.

In the past, January through April are my best months for "dieting". I guess there is not much going on, and it's cold so I don't go out as much. I'm definitely not the person who needs to 'eat more' to lose weight. I actually eat pretty healthy about 90% of the time, just too many calories.

Right now all I can do is cardio and legs after shoulder surgery, so once I get the okay from doc to do upper body, I will work my way back up with weights and plan on starting STS in February ... just in time to get ready for summer!

Um, I'm mixing it up a lot... I probably could be more focused but feeling a bit schizophrenic at the moment. Pyramid alternated wtih 45 min cardio this week. Next week I'm not sure. I will probably move over to a rotation soon but travel is getting in the way so mostly I'm just trying to maintain my improvements without losing more weight but building definition.

I've just started Slow & Heavy and will probably use this routine for 3 weeks or so matched with any type of cardio I can manage. :) This will be tough. Nothing totally fries my muscles as much as S&H (except if STS will). :eek:

JMHO: no prep needed... (long post warning)

Hello,

I have been doing periodization programs for several months in addition to some boot camp and conditioning classes as well as running and spinning. As far as preparing - there was really no preparation needed other than know what weight I use for each exercise. I will try to explain what I mean.

Let's say on a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is total beginner who has never picked up a weight before in his/her life and 10 is advanced and has lifted weights for years. for this example, person A is a number 3 and person B is a number 7. These two individuals are surfing the web and come across Cathe's site. They see the STS and decide to give it a go. For next few weeks/months, they continue their regular exercise routines. They decide to do their 1 RM tests and now have that information.

Person A's 1 RM results might look like this:
Bicep Curl Dumb bells: 1 RM = 20 lbs
Shoulder Press dumb bells: 1 RM = 20 lbs

Person B's 1 RM results might look like this:
Bicep Curl Dumb bells: 1 RM = 35 lbs
Shoulder Press dumb bells: 1 RM = 30 lbs

Let's say person these two individuals decided to really push it the upcoming weeks and lift heavier in order to get ready for STS. After taking a bit of time off to rest, their 1 RM results would probably change:

Person A's 1 RM results might look like this instead
Bicep curl dumb bells: 1 RM = 25 lbs
Shoulder press dumb bells: 1 RM = 25 lbs

Person B's 1 RM results might look like this instead
Bicep curl dumb bells: 1 RM = 40 lbs
Shoulder Press dumb bells: 1 RM = 35 lbs

The 1 RM test establishes your starting points so that you will know what it means for you if 60% or if 80% of your 1 RM is required for a given exercise. The whole point of my example is that any preparation you make prior to receiving the discs will most likely just increase your 1 RM results (hopefully) and therfore increase what your percentages are for a given exercise. In other words: the workout is not going to get any easier if you lift a ton of weights ahead of time.

Periodization is designed to consistently and constantly challenge your body and increase your capabilities with every phase and each exercise. Since you will have your 1 RM results, you will be able to do the workout no matter what level you are. Theoretically, if you follow my example, person C could be a number 1 and do STS. That person's 1 RM might be 10 lbs for a bicep curl. Therefore if 60% was required for the exercise, then that person would use 6 lbs of weight. If 80% was required, then 8 lbs of weight would be used.
By the end of the STS that person should be able to lift a heavier amount of weight the next time through the routine.

Sorry for the long post, but I kept reading about people preparing for the STS. The routine is not going to be easy regardless of how strong you are. For me - currently I am in a strength phase (3rd phase) of one of my routines and I am doing bent rows with a barbell 5 sets of 5 reps at 105 lbs - either overhand or underhand grip. Next week I will increase that a few more pounds. At my second phase - I was doing 10 - 12 reps of the same exercise at 70- 85 lbs. When I repeat this routine, I will be increasing the starting points of my 1 RM - constantly challenging myself.

I hope that helps! Good luck!

kryptychyck, thank you for posting that information. It certainly puts everything into context.

For me personally, though, preparation is mostly mental. I haven't been in a strict routine for some time and need to get used to the idea of pushing myself again. But I do admit, I'd really love to advance that 1RM a bit! :D

kryptychyck, thank you for posting that information. It certainly puts everything into context.

For me personally, though, preparation is mostly mental. I haven't been in a strict routine for some time and need to get used to the idea of pushing myself again. But I do admit, I'd really love to advance that 1RM a bit! :D

Ditto. This is really what I meant with my question in the OP. Are you continuing to lift, taking a rest, doing more cardio, etc.

got it!

Ditto. This is really what I meant with my question in the OP. Are you continuing to lift, taking a rest, doing more cardio, etc.

Aha! I understand what you mean now.

I am excited to add Cathe's variety to my mix. Plus, I am having a surgey at the end of December and I will use this workout to get back into the groove once I am cleared to exercise again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.