Did all my upper body 1RM tests

morningstar

Cathlete
So I did all my upper body 1RM tests today. It took just under 3 hours. I alternated between different body parts so as not to be fatigued when I did the next one, but I think by the end my results may not have been so accurate as fatigue was definitely becoming a factor. I just decided to treat the testing as an unusual workout, with low reps, heavy weights and longish breaks between working the body part again. How are you all doing yours?

Tomorrow, lower body! Legs, don't fail me now! (or at least, not until I have hit at least 8 reps of each exercise!)

I got 20 exercises done - upper body. I could lift heavier than I thought I could :p. I'm going to have to get heavier weights down the road. This was hard work!!! I can't wait for STS to arrive!!!

I'm very limited with lower body weight due to knee issues.

Today was Day 2 of testing for me. I did 17 yesterday for chest, biceps and shoulders, and 18 today for legs, tris and back.

I gotta tell you.....I'm sportin' some awesome DOMS.

And I'm glad to hear some say they're stronger than they thought. As I was choosing a weight, I started putting on my 1.25 plate weights just because I KNEW I could lifter heavier than I initially thought.

Gayle

Okay, I think I have a plan...

I started the January rotation today and see that in the next week the three Gym Style workouts are scheduled. For those of you who have done your 1RM work, what do you think of my subbing the GS workouts for the corresponding 1RM testing on those days (as many as I think I can productively get done), leaving out the 1- and 2-star exercises?

sporting some wicked shoulder DOMS today!

I think I will just do GS Legs and Butts and Guts today - do my lower body 1RM next weekend. You know what Cathe says -make it work for you, but don't stop!

Does anyone know how to do the 1RM for squats? I don't have a squat rack, and I already use a 55# barbell for squats. I think I may be as high as 90# or 100# to fatigue at only 8 or 10 reps, as I can do a lot of reps at 55#; barbells that heavy would not be safe (or even possible!) to lift over my head.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I think I will just do GS Legs and Butts and Guts today - do my lower body 1RM next weekend. You know what Cathe says -make it work for you, but don't stop!

Does anyone know how to do the 1RM for squats? I don't have a squat rack, and I already use a 55# barbell for squats. I think I may be as high as 90# or 100# to fatigue at only 8 or 10 reps, as I can do a lot of reps at 55#; barbells that heavy would not be safe (or even possible!) to lift over my head.

You could always get a weighted vest.

I've been using the 10 pound vest, but it's still not enough. I can only get 65# safely over my head, so it's 75 pounds with the vest. So with the 75# I just do as many reps as I can, I think it is around 18, and those are the numbers I'll put into the 1RM calculator, it will just have to do.

For those of us who have not done all of the, what.....97 exercises!, I don't think that we are lazy or procrastinating. I'd like to believe..... smart! We won't be asked to do all of them in one day anyway. If we try to record them all in one or even two days, it doesn't seem accurate. My biceps, (or any other muscle) can only do so much before fatigue sets in. If I do 6, 7 or more in trying to get my 1RM, but only do 3 when doing one of the videos, then I won't be lifting as much as I should. I did what arwenlong did and alternated muscle groups when I did my first stage yesterday. (I did 17) I am pretty sore today, since I am pretty out of shape. But I still think that waiting a day or so before continuing will be the best bet for me. Ladies, don't beat yourselves up when you are not doing what someone else is. We're here to lift up, encourage, and be inspired by one another, not discouraged because we aren't keeping up! Hang in there, and keep keepin' on ! Lynn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.