Cathe, More 1RM questions for STS prep

morningstar

Cathlete
So, trying to figure out my 1RM and have a couple of questions:

• How to calculate for exercises that I only use body weight (such as hip raises or crunches)?

• If I use dumbells instead of barbells, do I double the dumbbell value to be equal to the weight I would be using if I used a barbell?

• How do I calulate for exercises that use resistance bands, (such as firewalkers)?

• When I look at the list of exercises in the Workout Manager's 1RM calculator, I get worried, because I do not have cable machines or chin up bars. Are the exercises listed all done in STS, or is this a global list meant to capture all of the exercises in the whole world?

• I do have a flat bench, step, high step, incline/decline risers for the step, dumbbells ranging from 1# to 35#, a barbell, resistance bands in many resistance levels, 5# ankle weights, a stability ball and a 27# body bar. Will the equipment that I already have be sufficient for STS? And will there be options that I could use if I don't have the equipment that STS uses?

Thank you!

So, trying to figure out my 1RM and have a couple of questions:

• How to calculate for exercises that I only use body weight (such as hip raises or crunches)?
  • If I use dumbells instead of barbells, do I double the dumbbell value to be equal to the weight I would be using if I used a barbell?

• How do I calulate for exercises that use resistance bands, (such as firewalkers)?

• When I look at the list of exercises in the Workout Manager's 1RM calculator, I get worried, because I do not have cable machines or chin up bars. Are the exercises listed all done in STS, or is this a global list meant to capture all of the exercises in the whole world?
  • I do have a flat bench, step, high step, incline/decline risers for the step, dumbbells ranging from 1# to 35#, a barbell, resistance bands in many resistance levels, 5# ankle weights, a stability ball and a 27# body bar. Will the equipment that I already have be sufficient for STS? And will there be options that I could use if I don't have the equipment that STS uses?

Thank you!

I can answer some of this, SNM recently posted a pdf with all of the exercises that require a 1RM test, you do not need to test for body weight or band exercises. This list is great, it even has pics of each exercise.
http://www.thecathenation.com/images/STS_1RM_Chart.pdf

You definitely will not need cable machines for STS, and as far as pull ups go, many people will be using the resistance tubes with the over the door attachment to substitute for pull ups. Some people have bought the "Iron Gym" for pullups, it's cheap and does not require that you screw it into the wall.

If you search the threads, I know there have been other posts about required vs. optional equipment, but it sounds like you are all set with what you have! Unless you go with the resistance tubes to replace pullups, then you will need one of those. The Cathe one is nice because it comes with the over the door attachment, and it works great!

http://www.shopcathe.com/The_Step_p/1211410.htm

I'm not sure how to handle the dumbbell vs. barbell question.

Last edited:
With respect to the DB vs. BB question... there was a thread awhile back that others asked about this and I am not sure there was a real concensus on how people were handling it... I guess the most important thing is to be consistent! if you use the weight of one DB for instance where a dB would be used, then go with that and use it to always adjust your weights throughout the program... I think it would be about the same if you used the total weight combined, just have to cut it in half to see what size DB's to use...

in short, I don't think it matters, just do it the same for everything so it will be consistent :)

That's my 2 cents anyway :)

STS Equipment

You don't calculate a 1RM for every exercise. Exercises that use bands or body weight don't need to be tested.

This is up to you to choose, but we suggest entering a weight for one dumbbell so you don't have to do any further calculations.
You don't test for exercises that use bands.

The global list contains nearly every exercise in the world and has about 1000 exercises. Only some of these are used in STS. We don't use cable machines in the STS program.

You pretty much have all the equipment you will need except some paper plates and either tubing or a pull up bar to do pull ups.

Thanks, everyone. I think I will try those gliding discs instead of the paper plates, although I do have the paper plates.

I am curious, does anyone know how to do the 1RM for squats? I don't have a squat rack, and I already use a 55# barbell for squats. I think I may be as high as 90# or 100# to fatigue at only 8 or 10 reps, as I can do a lot of reps at 55#; barbells that heavy would not be safe (or even possible!) to lift over my head.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The idea behind the weighted vest is to make sure you don't have to put so much over your head... but if you are getting past 70# total, I have no idea what you'd do! (I believe Cathe said at some point that about 60# is as much as you'd ever want to lift over your head and remain safe.)

The idea behind the weighted vest is to make sure you don't have to put so much over your head... but if you are getting past 70# total, I have no idea what you'd do! (I believe Cathe said at some point that about 60# is as much as you'd ever want to lift over your head and remain safe.)

I've definitely been eyeing a weighted vest for some time now, but I'm not sure I want to purchase it just to do a 1RM test. It's definitely on my list of things to spend money that I don't have on.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.