Barbell weights question

Peer Tree

Cathlete
Hallo all,

I need to buy barbells for STS and I'm wondering which assortment of weights are best/most practical.

Any suggestions from barbell owners?

Thanks and best wishes for 2009.
cheers Rosemarie

Hallo all,

I need to buy barbells for STS and I'm wondering which assortment of weights are best/most practical.

Any suggestions from barbell owners?

Thanks and best wishes for 2009.
cheers Rosemarie

I think Walmart (store + online) has a good selection that wont break the bank. I have a 60# max one from there and have been happy for over 3 years with it...If I ever want to go higher I have Cathes Weighted Vest I wear.

You may also want to post this in Open Discussion for more responses from the peeps.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not in America so I can't make use of Walmart stores unfortunately.

BTW, does 60# mean 60 pounds?

cheers Rosemarie

Yes.

Troy Lite is an excellent barbell set. Don't know if it's available where you are at, though. It's more compact than many (the bar is shorter), and has rubber-coated weights. The set usually comes with a total of 40# of weights, but it's a good idea, IMO, to get a couple of 10# plates as well.

I agree that 60# is a good set to get. Even 40# for a beginning lifter. Both weights will still give you some room to grow before you need to add more plates (which you can usually buy separately).

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not in America so I can't make use of Walmart stores unfortunately.

cheers Rosemarie

Hi Rosemarie:

I think you might mean, what combination of plates you might need? Depending on the load you are looking for and how much you can lift (and not knowing how to convert them to Kilos) in american pounds (yes, # = pounds (lbs) :)) I recently purchased my set that came with 100 lbs total: has 6-10 lb plates, 4- 5 lb plates, 2- 2.5 lb plates and then before I got my "set" I had 2 more 10's, 4 more 5's and 4 more 2.5's...

obviously you need an even number of plates, *what you do to one side* and all :) so if you lift heavier with lower body work, you can either get a few more 10 lb plates, or move up to the 25 and adjust the smaller ones from there :) Don't forget to include the weight of your bar into the totals as well :) and definately make sure that the bar you are using is weight rated for the weight you will be using...

I haven't even opened the new weights yet, but have them for when I will need more for STS...

hope that helps :) a little anyway...

It depends on how much weight you are going to be lifting. I have a barbell I bought from The Firm about 20 years ago. It came with 2 each of 5#, 2.5# and 1.25# plates (total of 17.5#, and the bar weighs 10#). This worked well for me until I started doing more serious weight lifting recently.

Last year I bought 2 10# plates, and a set of Pace Weights (half pound magnets you can attach to the plates) so I can get the barbell up to around 50#. I wish I could go heavier though - I'm not sure how much this barbell can handle.

To me, the perfect barbell would be short (the one I have is 5 feet or so, which works well and doesn't crash into the walls or knock things over when I'm working out) and able to handle at least 75#.

Hope you don't mind me adding another question to your post: How do you know how much weight a bar is capable of handling?

Good question on the bar bell. Mine is the old Firm padded bar bell as well. I bought two extra 5#'s and can make it plus 40#'s. My workout space is a small room too. Now with STS coming,'m wondering if my bar bell can handle more weight or if I should just get the 10# vest and worry about a heavier bar bell after doing STS.
(I'm waiting for the online workout manager to be working with a tutorial before I do my 1R. Yep. I'm still stalling.)
Colleen

Hi Colleen... did you see SNM's recent thread about the 1RMs So Easy A Caveman Can Do Them"? They have a PDF file attached to that thread that has broken down the 1RM exercises with one pic each so you can better tell what they are doing... and have also ranked they (by the star system) so you know which ones to concentrate on :)

we are all running out of excuses here ;) me included!

I just printed out the 1R pdf file. The pictures really helped me know what I need to do.I'm such a visual learner. Ok, I'm starting to get psyched. My DS 6th grader goes back to school on Monday and life get's back to a regular family schedule. I'm out of excuses now. :eek: Cathes January rotation will help me get the holiday pudge off too. LOL.
Colleen

Last edited:
Hallo all,

Thanks for all your comments about weights. It gives me an idea of what I should be looking for.

At this stage, I'm checking the blog multiple times daily to hear the latest about the STS release date.....can't wait!

Cheers Rosemarie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.