Another 1R ?/ How much time to do?

cocob1

Cathlete
Sorry if this question has been answered before and I missed it. I only have about 1 hour a day to get my workouts in. I want to do my 1R tests before my STS arrives but I don't know where to set my priorities time wise. How long does it take to do all of the 1R's? I do Cathes monthy rotataions for my workouts and adjust as my time dictactes. Should I take a week off of Cathe's January rotation to get my 1R's in? Should I rotate every other day with cardio on alternate days with 1R's? How much of a warm up should I do so I don't get injured the day I do my 1R's? Is a 10 minute warm up enough? Do I need more than three 50 minute sessions to get them all in or will I need more time? Have any of you been doing any yoga or stretching to balance out the muscles after a long 1R session?
Sorry if I seem so clueless as to how to make use of my time but I could use some guidance.
Shoudl I just take a whole week off of any rotation workouts to get the 1R's done?Will I be lopsided from spending a week on 1R?
Was this all answered before? Forgive me and just steer me in the right direction.
Colleen:eek:

I haven't finished yet, but I can tell you that you will definitely need more than 3 50-minute sessions. I, too, am loosely doing Cathe's January rotation and subbed the strength days with 1RM testing last week. I did three days of testing for about 90 minutes each day. I've posted in a couple of places how I'm doing it, so at the risk of it appearing that I think my way is best (which I don't) I don't want to post it yet again.

I only have about 1 hour a day to get my workouts in. I want to do my 1R tests before my STS arrives but I don't know where to set my priorities time wise. How long does it take to do all of the 1R's?

I did mine in about 5, 2-3 hour sessions. But I was not in a rush, and did them on weekend days when I had nothing else pressing, I could have picked up the pace, but you do want to have a decent rest period in between exercises. I recommend alternating upper/body so you can reduce your rest periods. I was taking a full 5 min. rest between most exercises.

Should I take a week off of Cathe's January rotation to get my 1R's in? Should I rotate every other day with cardio on alternate days with 1R's? How much of a warm up should I do so I don't get injured the day I do my 1R's? Is a 10 minute warm up enough? Do I need more than three 50 minute sessions to get them all in or will I need more time? Have any of you been doing any yoga or stretching to balance out the muscles after a long 1R session? Will I be lopsided from spending a week on 1R?

You could take a week off the rotation, and alternate cardio/1RM days, the 1RM days were a good workout, that left me with some nice DOMS. But realistically you should plan for at least two weeks of this if done in 50-60 minute increments.

For my warmup, I would just do one of the Cathe warmups for a full body workout like the Muscle Max warmup, that felt sufficient for me, in general, you should warm up like you would before a weight workout.

I think you will need more than 3 hours to complete them all. BUT, I recommend starting with the five, four and then threes from the PDF that SNM posted. This way you are completing what they consider the more important tests. I also found that many similar exercises were testing just about the same for me, so for example any given side lunge was almost always the same weight/reps. So I did fill in some of the one's and two's with similar exercises in the 3,4,5 star range.

The way I see it, at least for me, is these weights will be close enough for me, since I'm basing them on my other tests. I'm not getting overly hung up on the perfect weight, because the 1RM would fluctuate anyway by a few pounds, since we all have stronger and weaker days and that days test, could realistically be a little lighter or heavier than if done on a different day.

I don't do yoga, and just do a regular stretch at the end of the session.

Regarding the lopsided comment, I wasn't sure exactly what you meant but, the 1RMs encompass all the body parts, so I suggest planning your day to include a variety of parts, and it will be like a full body workout (just less sets), and I did my tests on both sides for things like one armed curls and used either the weaker arm/leg rep number or a number in between to note my 1RM numbers.

HTH!

Great feedback! Thanks so much! Now I have an idea of how to plan my time. I think I'll finish this weeks Cathe January rotation and start next week with alternating cardio with 1R testing and see how far I get before STS arrives.
I'm one of those people who likes following a rotation for my workouts so I don't have to think and make too many decisions. My daily life is hectic enough.:eek: My perfect rotation right now would be for Cathe to design one with 1R testing in it. I'm such a sheep!
Colleen

My perfect rotation right now would be for Cathe to design one with 1R testing in it. I'm such a sheep!
Colleen

You and me both! I would have loved this. But truly, I was one of the procrastinators and once you get started it's not difficult. I had some TV shows I had taped (I never watch them when they're actually on!) and had them going while I was doing the testing.

I did some 1RM testing yesterday. Did 16 exercises in 40 minutes (not including warm up, cool down/stretch). I warmed up on the trampoline for 5 minutes (should have been 10), then started in. I alternated body parts and had a timer going so I could gauge how long since the last time I worked that body part. I had a chick flick on instead of a workout dvd. I'd do 2 - 3 tests (different body parts) and then rest/stretch for a couple minutes and then go again.

After I got done I remarked to DH that it was weird to lift weights without Cathe telling me exactly what to do! ;)

April

I love the idea of using the time to watch a movie/show that my DS and DH wouldn't want to watch. I've recorded a PBS one that would put them to sleep and I can do my 1Rs. It will be very weird not having Cathe telling me what to do as well!
Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.