Am i doing enough?

mjw1967

I'm close to finishing the first Mesocycle and I've been following the every other day routine, which amounts to working out specific parts of the body just once a week. I have to be honest, I don't feel like I'm doing enough. In the past, I've generally worked out the same muscle at least twice a week (I.e I'd do triceps say on a Monday and Friday).

I know it's working strength wise because I can lift a little heavier after four weeks (based on what the 1rep max info is telling me to do of course)...but I guess the mental side of my working out is getting to me. I feel like I'm not doing enough!!! I should just tell my head to keep it down right? The next cycle is going to be tougher and by the third i will be glad it's only once a week??

I guess I just need to hear that once a week on specific muscles (in addition to my aerobic workouts) are enough.

2upper 2lower per week

I have to be honest, I don't feel like I'm doing enough. In the past, I've generally worked out the same muscle at least twice a week (I.e I'd do triceps say on a Monday and Friday).

I feel like I'm not doing enough!!!

Hi,

You can work your muscles twice per week if you want to. The once per week recommendation was made bearing cardio requirement in mind IMO. We are all different. Some prefer not to lift weight at all and others can not live without getting busy with their iron toys ;):eek::D. Then you have a third group who want to keep a balance of both:):).

2x per week for upper and lower is an adequate frequency for lifting weight. I would do Monday one upper group, Tuesday legs and Wednesday another upper group. If you workout 6 days per week. It easy to get both 2 upper and 2lower plus cardio workout in per week. I would bear in mind that you need 48 hours for recovery for each muscle group.This is achievable as long as you are not working out beyond your abilities.

Hope this help,
All the best:)

I was worried about that too, when I first started STS a couple of years ago.

I did find once a week to be enough when I did STS. I used to work muscle groups 2/week, too, but I think STS challenged me to work in a more structured and concentrated format. I know that after the 3.5 month cycle, I was much leaner, more defined (toned), and stronger. I think part of it was the fact that I really looked forward to working each muscle group intensely because I had "neglected" them for 6 days.

My suggestion would be to follow the program as it is set up the first time you do STS. Once you learn how your body reacts, you can adjust for future rotations.

Good Luck. It sounds as though you are seeing marvelous results already.

Hi mjw - I'm feeling the same! I've just started meso2, and still feel I need to add to STS, so in addition I do 1 total body w/o per week (sometimes just a metabolic w/o rather than using heavy weights, sometimes Kettlebells). That seems to exhaust me!!! (I do cardio as well of course ;)).
justine

Thanks everyone for your input. Glad to see I am not alone. I am doing T25 at the same time, so I guess I'm using my muscles slightly differently anyway. Between working out and getting my kid to soccer games and practices, I must be mad to even consider squeezing in a few more rounds!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.