Abbreviated 1RM testing?

kathryn

Cathlete
The prospect of performing a 1RM test for every single exercise is quite daunting to me, and it discourages me from doing any 1RM tests. :confused:

Ideally, there would be a way of doing one 1RM per body part, on one basic exercise and being able to guesstimate closely (based on some calculations that SNM could do with some software, perhaps?) the 1RM on other exercises for each body part.

SNM : could you provide us with such an 'abreviated 1RM' list? (Pretty please?). That, I would do. ;)

Kathryn,

If this helps, I made my own abbreviated 1 RM list during the "STS-like" rotation at VF. I did a few basic exercises per body part and extrapolated for the rest and it worked pretty OK.

My list of exercises from memory:
Squats
Lunges
Deadlifts
Chest Press
Chest Flye
Overhead Shoulder Press
Lateral Raise
Lat Pull down on Lat tower
Bent Over Rows
Bicep Curl
Bicep Concentration Curl
Tricep Lying Skull Crusher
Tricep Kickback

I did the barbell version on all exercises that have that option, and adjusted dumbbell versions to about half that.

Even with a 1RM test, you may find you have to adjut the weight when you actually do an exercise because 1 RM testing is not an exact science.

I found there was trial and error on the first set of an exercise this way, but it was more for the dumbbell variant. The extrapolation for new exercises was not hard - it is quite easy to think for a second of what muscles you are using relative to the basic exercise and figure out if you need to go a bit heavier of lighter iif you have been lifting for a while.

Not an ideal system versus comprehensive testing, but good enough for my fitness goals and habits.

Thanks Vee!
(I might abbreviate that list even more!)

Kathryn, :) Life is too short for too much precision. I fully approve of further abbreviation. From the STS clips the workouts look INTENSE and effective even without 1RM testing (to me!).

Leanne, you are welcome.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.