20 1RM in a day

careyben

Cathlete
Hi all,

I just had to share how I did 20 1RM's in one day. I'm planning on doing it two more times in the next couple weeks, and I'll be done. In Sept/Oct, I did a few per day, but lately it's been hard to find the time to exercise at all. So yesterday, I did them like a circuit workout. I did 5 min treadmill, then five 1RM. (Legs, shoulders, biceps, legs, triceps) That kind of thing. That way, the legs are separated by 5-6 minutes. I had a bunch of legs 1RM left to do. Then I got back on the treadmill for 10 minutes (nothing too intense), then did 5 more 1RM, always alternating body parts.

The time went really fast, and it was really fun to be able to input all that info at once.

I think I only have 35 or so left to go.

Happy testing,

Ben

That sounds like a great way to try it. Maybe when I'm done with FF's fantastic December rotation I will do that. Thanks!!

-Beth

Hi Ben,
Cool approach! Can I ask, did you find a big change in weights from what you'd been doing? For example, is 60-70% of your 1 rep max for squats different than what you'd been doing for, say, squats in Gym Style Legs? TIA!

Congrat's Ben. Very creative. You're almost there. I'm glad you kept your cardio very low key when doing this. Way to go. You don't want to have muscle fatigue when doing your testing.

Hi all,

I just had to share how I did 20 1RM's in one day. I'm planning on doing it two more times in the next couple weeks, and I'll be done. In Sept/Oct, I did a few per day, but lately it's been hard to find the time to exercise at all. So yesterday, I did them like a circuit workout. I did 5 min treadmill, then five 1RM. (Legs, shoulders, biceps, legs, triceps) That kind of thing. That way, the legs are separated by 5-6 minutes. I had a bunch of legs 1RM left to do. Then I got back on the treadmill for 10 minutes (nothing too intense), then did 5 more 1RM, always alternating body parts.

The time went really fast, and it was really fun to be able to input all that info at once.

I think I only have 35 or so left to go.

Happy testing,

Ben

Jonahnah,

Yeah, I did find a change. I think I'll be upping my weights some for STS. I just looked up my 60% for squats on disc 3, and it says 94 lbs. I think squats might be the exercise I won't be able to keep up. I have trouble lifting anything over 85 lbs over my head. I'll see, though.

The rest of them look pretty close, like the first one to test for on disc 1 is alternating overhead press and it came up as 28 lbs. I bet I've picked something in the lower 20s myself.

I'm excited (and a teensy bit nervous) about the challenge. I'm super excited to have 3 new workouts a day for 3 1/2 months.

Ben

Jonahnah,

Yeah, I did find a change. I think I'll be upping my weights some for STS. I just looked up my 60% for squats on disc 3, and it says 94 lbs. I think squats might be the exercise I won't be able to keep up. I have trouble lifting anything over 85 lbs over my head. I'll see, though.

The rest of them look pretty close, like the first one to test for on disc 1 is alternating overhead press and it came up as 28 lbs. I bet I've picked something in the lower 20s myself.

I'm excited (and a teensy bit nervous) about the challenge. I'm super excited to have 3 new workouts a day for 3 1/2 months.

Ben

Just my suggestion. You can use a 20# vest that way you will only need 74# weight for squats

Thanks, Cathe for the encouragement. I wonder who's more excited. Us to get STS in our hands, or you to get STS out of yours .. :)

Ben

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.