1RM in workout manager

wennell_dennell

Hi all,

I'm doing a few of the 1RM using the calculator in the workout manager...but it seems that whatever I enter for my 'I can do 8 with good form, but no more than ten' is being entered as my 1RM, which obviously isn't the case....

This seems particularly odd to me as then my one rep max in most cases is well below the average listed for the CatheNation - I know there are a lot of strong women out there, but I'm pretty strong, particularly my upper body so having a 1RM of 36 kilograms for an exercise when the average is listed as 50 seems a little off to me....

Is it possible the CatheNation average is in pounds? Or should the workout manger be taking the value in I put in for my 8-10 hard reps (i.e. the 36kg) and change it to something heavier for my 1RM...I thought that was how it worked.

I searched through the forums for a few of the threads on 1RM, but couldn't find an answer to this particular question...

Thanks Joan - that would explain the reason my weights are so different from the CatheNation stats...I'm assuming I set it at one point to be kg (being Canadian), but does anyone know how to change the weight units? I'd rather be using the same unit for comparison purposes! And all the weights I have are in pounds, so I have to do a quick mental conversion which isn't exactly rocket science, but it would simplify everything if I had it in pounds.

And what about the 1RM calculation....does anyone know if it just uses the weight you enter, or should it be calculating upwards? Conceptually it seems like that's the way it should work....

User CP

Hi all,

I'm doing a few of the 1RM using the calculator in the workout manager...but it seems that whatever I enter for my 'I can do 8 with good form, but no more than ten' is being entered as my 1RM, which obviously isn't the case....

This seems particularly odd to me as then my one rep max in most cases is well below the average listed for the CatheNation - I know there are a lot of strong women out there, but I'm pretty strong, particularly my upper body so having a 1RM of 36 kilograms for an exercise when the average is listed as 50 seems a little off to me....

Is it possible the CatheNation average is in pounds? Or should the workout manger be taking the value in I put in for my 8-10 hard reps (i.e. the 36kg) and change it to something heavier for my 1RM...I thought that was how it worked.

I searched through the forums for a few of the threads on 1RM, but couldn't find an answer to this particular question...

You set your "weight unit " preference in the the "User CP" for the forums. You will see this link in the upper left corner of this page. Then select "edit details". Finally, you will need to select and set the weight preference to "kg".

Last edited:
Thanks - I reset my weight unit preference....

Any answers on the issue of 1RM - should it be the same weight that I enter as my max weight for 8 reps?

Thanks - I reset my weight unit preference....

Any answers on the issue of 1RM - should it be the same weight that I enter as my max weight for 8 reps?

I'm not sure if I understand your question. In taking a 1RM test you simply find a weight that you think you can lift for about 10 times. Then do as many reps as you can. For the test to be accurate you should experience failure somewhere between 8 and 12 reps. You then enter the reps you actually did and the calculator will determine what your 1RM for that exercise is based on the reps you entered. Your results will be shown in the orange box at the top of the page. If this is not what you're asking then please provide us with more details and we will help you further.

Hi again,

Never mind - I wasn't entering the number of reps, just leaving it at 1! That's why my one rep max was too low. Silly me!

Cheers!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.