1RM Tests - Can't get myself to do them!

Dela

Cathlete
Is anyone else having this issue? I just can't seem to get myself to do the 1RM tests. A while back, I did a bunch on discs 1 and 2, but now just won't do them. I feel like I did in college procrastinating to study before a test.

Whenever I start to think of doing even one, I just can't seem to fit it in to my normal workouts. Or if I'm not doing a workout, it seems like a pain to stretch out and warm up just to do a couple of tests. This is so dumb, if I had even just done one a day since I pre-ordered, I would be done!!! I know I need to "just do it" but that knowledge is not translating to action. :(

I guess I'm hoping to hear some new motivating tales of how others have managed to complete these. Or at least commiserate with those in the same boat :p

Sorry, no motivating tale here. Another procrastinater :( I haven't even really looked at the page for the 1RM. I figure I will wait until we get that golden e-mail stating when they will be shipped. I've been bumping up my WO's lately so I'm hoping to have some strength gains by then & wouldn't want to do it AGAIN!! :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll actually go take a look now at the page - thanks for motivating me to at least do that! :D

Now I'm actually freaking out a bit :eek: That's ALOT of 1RM's!! I did go through & read Cathe's FAQ & that helped. still another question though:
Some of the 1RM excercises I'm not sure what they are & how do you do 1RM on excercises with no weights like some of the ab work or do you skip those? I assume you do the test when that particular muscle is fresh, right?

You are not alone! I haven't started and dread the thought of having to do it. I don't want to interupt my current lifting workouts either. My plan is to wait until they announce the shipping of STS and then set aside a week to do the testing. BUT...I still am not looking forward to it:rolleyes:

JJ

Now I'm actually freaking out a bit :eek: That's ALOT of 1RM's!!
Some of the 1RM excercises I'm not sure what they are & how do you do 1RM on excercises with no weights like some of the ab work or do you skip those? I assume you do the test when that particular muscle is fresh, right?

It's totally alot!!! The exercises without weights will not need a 1RM test.

And a long time ago I asked a similar question, you should allow at least a 5 minute rest between test if using ANY shared body parts. So when I did do some, I did an upper like shoulders, rested for a couple, then a lower, rested for a couple, then an upper again, but this time biceps.

One day I got really motivated and knocked off quite a few of them, but then I got lazy about them again.

Also, I found a great sheet on someone's blog, I did not bookmark though, but thought I did. The sheet has all the exercises from all discs on one spreadsheet. I'd be more than happy to email it to you if you want to send me your mail through PM. Or you might know the blog, it has something to do with Figs, and it's in the posters signature.

OK, back again on this one. I did just do 3 1RM excercises. 2 - bicep & 1 tricep. Although on the tricep I feel I could have gone heavier!! It was the standing tricep kickback - are those single arm or double? If I feel I could have gone heavier should I retest it on another day now?

OK, back again on this one. I did just do 3 1RM excercises. 2 - bicep & 1 tricep. Although on the tricep I feel I could have gone heavier!! It was the standing tricep kickback - are those single arm or double? If I feel I could have gone heavier should I retest it on another day now?

I find it very cute that you just ran off to do 1RM tests!

If you give the triceps a good rest, like 10-15 minutes you can re-test today.

It's a nice feeling when you do what you think is your max, and then realize you could have gone heavier!

Oops, missed a question, I just checked that spreadsheet, and she has both 1 arm and 2 arm kickbacks listed, so either test is valid since we need to do both.

I don't plan on doing the 1 rep max either.

Depending upon how many rep's are in each exercise I'm just gonna pick up what I think is my max for that rep/exercise. For example on the previews they say find a weight for the reps that you can manage that is not too light and not too heavy that you cannot complete the sets.

You could do the 1 rep max test but then find when you are doing the sets that 60% is either too light or too heavy. So once you know what your body can do then pick up the weight that challenges you and allows to go to the full amount of reps with good form.

1RM Tests

I am also a little bit of a rebel. There are way too many exercises for me to test out. I am also going to do the workouts and take what I think will be a good weight and go from there. I do other Cathe workouts and have great results just taking a weight that I know will challenge my muscle and if half-way through the exercise I know that I can use a heavier weight, well I stop the exercise, start it from the beginning again with a heavier weight. So with STS I am planning on doing them and as time goes on, I will increase weight as needed.

I started out doing a few of them, but then lost interest. It does seem overwhelming. My procrastination plan now is to wait until we get the promised tutorials on how to do it and what the exercises look like.

Maynardsmom: I also asked the question about what you do with exercises listed that do not require weights, and even though i got no reply :( I did finally read somewhere else that you just skip them...

I am another procrastinator, I have done exactly ONE 1RM exercise... and I think I just guessed based on the workout I just did.

I might just try to take my computer upstairs to my WO room and do a few every day, but it's a pain to have to remember the computer... It's not hooked up to a printer, so I don't have the option to print a list... and since i'm sort of a Cathe and strength novice I also have a hard time figuring out what exercise is what...

apparently there are going to be demo's and descriptions... so until then I might be with all y'all and keep procrastinating!

I'm in the rebel group as well; but I am going to err on the heavy side to really challenge my muscles.

(P.S. Not only am I a rebel, I am also a bit lazy...)

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I whipped out a dozen 1RM's a few months back, and I've also lost interest. Also, I don't think a lot of them are correct, I feel like I should retest....you know how some days you're stronger than others? Sometimes I feel like I could keep going forever without failing, but then on a regular workout, I fail right away with the same weight.

-Donna (in the same boat):confused:

Well I must say this thread has motivated me to start - Thankyou little powerpuff girl!!
In my 40 day hiatus I will hopefully get alot of them done. Honestly there are quite a few I'm unsure of what they are. I guess I can google them ? :confused:

*raises hand sheepishly* Another procrastinator here! I keep putting it off since there are an awful lot of exercises, but I do plan on doing most of them before STS ships. I was planning on starting in December . . . .

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.