1RM suggestions

MAYNARDSMOM

Cathlete
I was one of those who ordered STS the last day before the price went up. I have only glanced at the 1RM page. A few questions for those of you who have done it.

Did you do it all in one day?
How did you break it down?
How long does it take to do?
Did you count this as a WO for the day or do it on a rest day or just in addition to your reg WO?

Testing the STS is not really that easy but it not very hard. It can be a workout if you leave 1 or 2 days a week to do it. Some people do 1 or 2 tests everyday or every other day.

I broke the testing down by using WM workout cards. At first it a lot of testing but then the exercises are repeated so it get easier.

I hope this helps.
Good luck.

I might just wait

I definitely don't think you can do it all in one day... even if that is all you do for an entire day! I have done some as a workout itself, and then if I don't know what the exercise is, I wait until I hear Cathe say that same thing in another workout, and then I test it. I'm not very far testing myself, so I can't say how long it will take. I'm seriously thinking about just waiting until the DVD's come, and then take the first 3 months to do my testing before I do the workout as it is intended. I'm still undecided on that though because I'm so excited to get started. I guess I'll just wait and see if the tutorial that is supposed to come out helps me get it all done before the DVD's come out.

I wouldn't do it all in one day. I wouldn't do it for all the exercises either.. just the ones you do the most.
For example, on leg day, instead of following the routine exactly, make the first set you do (only of the exercises you want to 1RM for) the one you use to test.
On leg day I did my 1st set was squats and I used this to test my 1rm.
If you rest completely you can use this for other exercise sin your workout as well.
I would just use the first set of each exercise to test your 1rm.. may take a couple workouts to get everything as accurate as possible, but I certainly wouldn't bother with testing a lot of the exercise that you don't do often.
The basic ones are the most efficient and worry about the rest as you do them in a routine.

Its actually very easy to use.. when you do the first set of the first exercise (say squats), pick a challenging weight (or in this case, whatever you can safely lift onto your shoulders) and squat as you normally would until failure. Put the reps you did with the weight you used into the program and it will calculate your 1rm.. it will also tell you what weight you would have to do in order to challege yourself in the rep range you choose :)

Last edited:
Hey guys!

I calculated a 1RM and I want to delete that one, not just re-test, but delete it. Is this possible? Sorry if this has already been addressed.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tami! I am doing 1RM tests a few at a time, usually at the end of my workout and in areas that weren't fried during the workout! I'll sometimes do more after a cardio workout, depending on how much time I have. I wouldn't be able to set aside whole days to do it, it would be too hard on my joints to lift such heavy weight the whole time. It was recommended that we rest for 5 minutes between each test.

I'm sorry Steph, I don't have an answer for you!

I did all the 1rm tests in two days and did them as their own workout. Because I was working to failure I had very bad DOMS the day after...in a good way. I noticed though that a lot of my weights were very different than the averages for the other Cathe-ites so I'm thinking I did some of the exercises wrong. I expect to be slightly lighter in weights than average but in some there was a 30 pound difference...and some I was 30 pounds higher on my 1rm test (like squats or deadlifts). So I'll go by my workout cards but I wouldn't be surprised if I did many of the tests the wrong way. We'll just have to wait for STS to see.

I'm noticing the same thing and am wondering how people are recording those types of weights. If you are using dumbbells for deadlifts, do you record the combined weights of the dumbbells like you would if you were doing the exercise with a barbell? Or do you just record the individual weight? My deadlifts and squats are way off too and I'm thinking it is because I added the weights together (since the legs bear the weight of both weights).

How are other people recording the weights. Is there a rule of thumb?

IMHO

If you are using dumbbells for deadlifts, do you record the combined weights of the dumbbells like you would if you were doing the exercise with a barbell? Or do you just record the individual weight? My deadlifts and squats are way off too and I'm thinking it is because I added the weights together (since the legs bear the weight of both weights).

How are other people recording the weights. Is there a rule of thumb?

I could be wrong, but I would think that you would indeed add the total of the dumbbells you are lifting... your legs, glutes, etc. don't know the difference between 2 - 10 lbs dumbbells and a 20# barbell, it's still 20#'s... I've just started a few 1RM's but that is how I anticipated recording the weights whenever I use dumbbells, as totals :)

anyone else have a different view?

I would agree with Dani as well - for the legs I have been doing the total weight whether it was dumbbells or barbell...

For upper body I do the weights individually since each arm is working separately....

Hope that is correct thinking...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.