1RM for Standing Barbell Front Press 21's?????

banslug

Cathlete
Specific question concerning the Standing Barbell Front Press 21's.

I'm assuming that "21" means 7 FULL reps, 7 HIGH END reps, and 7 LOW END reps. If that's the case, what do we put into the 1RM for our number of reps? I used a 45# barbell and was able to pretty much max out after an entire set of 21 as I described above. But when I put in "21" for my number of reps, my 1RM is 101. Meaning that when I go to use, say 60% of my 1RM, I'll be told to use 60.6 for this set of 21, which I wouldn't make sense.

So......what do I enter? Do I enter "7", or "21"?

THANKS (and sorry if I didn't explain that correctly).

Gayle

Great question Gayle! I haven't entered any of my 1 rep max tests yet so this will help me when I do. I'm waiting until they download the new version of the WM.

JJ

Gayle,

Fantastic question!

I'm having problems like that with other exercises as well.

On the 1RM Chart, I've tried to do a squat standing exercise. For example: I used a 50# barbell and a 10# weighted vest, and started the exercises. To my surprise I did the squats 30 times down and back up again. I knew that I couldn't do more than 30 reps (because that is the limit on the calculator), so I stopped (but I could have done more). I figured that I'll try and put this information in the Workout Manager 1RM's calculator. I did, and my 1RM is 310#. WOW! I don't think that is correct.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Last edited:
Janie-LOL about that 300+ # 1RM!!! You definitely need a squat rack for THAT! What I've been doing this week: I finished all my 1RM tests (except for a few paper plate and 1* tests). Yesterday and today, I RE-TESTED any test that I was able to complete more than 10 times. For instance, I tested squats at 90# and did over 15 of them the first time. Today I loaded the bb with 120 and did 12. This weekend (maybe Sunday or Monday) I'll retest with, say, 135 to get in that 8-10 max-out rep.

I'm very curious about these 21s still.

Gayle

Gayle,

In case we don't get a response, maybe you could ask Cathe when you see her this Friday? I'm still stumped about this too:confused:

JJ

I did, and my 1RM is 310#. WOW! I don't think that is correct.

It could be closer to correct than you think (though calculations using reps over about 10-12 get less and less accurate.

1RM is more a theoretical number than one that is actually used (you would never actually be doing as few as 1-3 reps in a workout without safety equipment and spotters, it would be to great a risk for failure and injury). Our lower bodies are strong!

Janie-LOL about that 300+ # 1RM!!! You definitely need a squat rack for THAT! What I've been doing this week: I finished all my 1RM tests (except for a few paper plate and 1* tests). Yesterday and today, I RE-TESTED any test that I was able to complete more than 10 times. For instance, I tested squats at 90# and did over 15 of them the first time. Today I loaded the bb with 120 and did 12. This weekend (maybe Sunday or Monday) I'll retest with, say, 135 to get in that 8-10 max-out rep.

I'm very curious about these 21s still.

Gayle

Gayle, How will you get 135 lbs. on your shoulders?????????????????????????????????????? You must be Wonder Woman :) Way to go!!!! Kay

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.