1RM

teddy16410

Cathlete
Should we wait to figure out our 1RM for the Meso 2 cycle AFTER we've completed the four weeks of Meso 1? Will doing Meso 1 increase our strength to some degree, such that our 1RM for Meso 2 is higher or different than it was for Meso 1?

Should we wait to figure out our 1RM for the Meso 2 cycle AFTER we've completed the four weeks of Meso 1? Will doing Meso 1 increase our strength to some degree, such that our 1RM for Meso 2 is higher or different than it was for Meso 1?

Not really, you can actually even start testing now if you like. 1RM tests are only estimates and will always have some degree of inaccuracy. I wouldn’t test more than once or twice a year. Just make adjustments if you find your weights are too heavy or too light.

Think of a 1RM test as a starting point and quick reference. Though they’re not perfect they are still much better than simply guessing or working out without a plan. You will have good days and bad days during any 90 day program and you will need to make adjustments based on how you’re workouts are going. Don’t get caught in the trap of feeling you have to exactly use your 1RM totals. If you’re feeling down decrease your weight and if you’re feeling extra strong don’t be afraid to add a few extra pounds. Just always use your 1RM as your reference point from which slightly vary your weight selection.

I can understand not doing 1 rm tests between mesocycles but I would think you would want to do it at the end of the full cycle because you will have strength gains and can lift at 65% of your 1rm max with a higher weight than you did during the first cycle. Am I wrong?

Missy

Thanks!

Not really, you can actually even start testing now if you like. 1RM tests are only estimates and will always have some degree of inaccuracy. I wouldn’t test more than once or twice a year. Just make adjustments if you find your weights are too heavy or too light.

Think of a 1RM test as a starting point and quick reference. Though they’re not perfect they are still much better than simply guessing or working out without a plan. You will have good days and bad days during any 90 day program and you will need to make adjustments based on how you’re workouts are going. Don’t get caught in the trap of feeling you have to exactly use your 1RM totals. If you’re feeling down decrease your weight and if you’re feeling extra strong don’t be afraid to add a few extra pounds. Just always use your 1RM as your reference point from which slightly vary your weight selection.

Makes perfect sense! Thanks so much.:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.