1 leg sit n stands

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
Ok, I have tried and tried but I can't do these for the life of me!! I usually wind up doing 1 legged squats instead because I find these impossible. Do you think I can blame it on long legs? lol ;)

Try them without weights and see how you do. Also, sit somewhat on the edge of the chair rather than all the way back.

(I actually did one of these in my class the other day, to demonstrate what a student was telling another student to do "stand up on one leg". I was very impressed with myself, LOL!

I could not do them at first either so I got a small table that was higher than my chair and was then able to do the move. After a few weeks I felt stronger and tried the chair again and can now do all the reps from my chair.

Ok, I have tried and tried but I can't do these for the life of me!! I usually wind up doing 1 legged squats instead because I find these impossible. Do you think I can blame it on long legs? lol ;)

I can't do them either. I do low pulse lunges ( from Butt & Gutts) instead.

The first time I tried them I couldn't do them and was LMAO at myself. I can do them now after much practice:) Keep trying!

The height of your step/chair is crucial. IIRC Cathe's chair is 17 inches from the floor to the seat.
I think that the relation of the chair height to your own height would be key as well. Cathe is only 5' 2", so for anyone taller, a higher chair might make it easier (depending on where you keep your length: some people are longer in the upper body, some in the lower body).

I agree

I think that the relation of the chair height to your own height would be key as well. Cathe is only 5' 2", so for anyone taller, a higher chair might make it easier (depending on where you keep your length: some people are longer in the upper body, some in the lower body).

I'm 5'3" and use my dining room chair, never measured it but it's higher than the length from my foot to my knee. Maybe that's why I'm usually able to do this. I also "sit" VERY close to the edge and only just slightly "tap" down before standing, if I'm down too long it's very hard to get back up with one leg and I sometimes have to cheat. :)

I agree with doing them without weights first, or very light weights. I could barely do them at the beginning (I'm 5'3 as well), but each time you do them, it does get a little easier. Try putting the other leg (that's in the air) crossed over the ankle of the other...it helped me for balance at first too!

I had trouble when I first started with them too. I called them wobble and plops instead of sit and stands. What I did was use my risers. I have 8 eight risers and the topper. I started with eight and no weights. Once I got that, I took off 1 riser and tried it that way, etc.

I just read a tip on doing these in "Women's Health Big Book of Exercises": move your foot back underneath you a bit farther and see if that helps.

I had trouble when I first started with them too. I called them wobble and plops instead of sit and stands. What I did was use my risers. I have 8 eight risers and the topper. I started with eight and no weights. Once I got that, I took off 1 riser and tried it that way, etc.

Love that very apt description! I use a whole boatload of risers, too.

I started off crossing one leg over the other, using a high dining room chair. (I have no idea why crossing makes it so much easier, but it does)Then I was able to do them with one leg out, like Cathe. Now I am doing them with a 5 pound weight!
Tucking your leg farther under the chair helps because it uses more quad, which women are traditionally stronger in than hamstrings. However, the point of STS is to balance your strength out so I am trying to edge my foot to a more straight down position each time.
Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.