% vs. reps for STS 1RMs...

gettingfitmom

Cathlete
OK- I did my 1RM for standing barbell curls. My 1RM is 53lbs. What % does mesocycle 1 (or disk 1) start at? Disc2? and Disc 3? Let's say the first disk is at 60%, then I want to be lifting 32lbs.? Is that how I want to look at this? Then what about the rep chart? If disk 1 does 10 reps/set, then I should be lifting 39lbs. Which one do I follow? Thanks in advance for clearing up the confusion.(Hope my question didn't add to it):)

Rep Chart

The rep chart that we currently include on the one rep max calculator is just for general use and is not meant to be used for the STS program. In our final version of the Workout Manager we will separate this chart from the one rep max calculator as it seems to cause confusion.

As far as STS is concerned you only need to know your 1RM for each exercise. This is the figure that shows in the orange box on the 1RM calculator. In your case your 1RM for Barbell Curls is 53 lbs. In mesocycle #1 if you do barbell curls during the first week you will need to use a weight that is 60% of your 1RM or in your case (.60 x 53 lbs = 32 lbs). During the 4th week of mesocycle #2 we will instruct you to do the same barbell curl using 80% of your 1RM. In your case this would be (.8 x 53 lbs = 42 lbs).

You don't have to worry about the math in STS, the Workout Manager will calculate everything for you. Knowing your 1RM just makes it easier for us to communicate to you what weight you should be using based on your fitness level for any exercise.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.