X'ers Check In 12/ 5 Tuesday

teddy16410

Cathlete
Good Morning To All-

Tracy- I am pasting your message over hear as we decided to call post X'ers to leave out controversy...
Thanks for starting board so early

From TapriceThis AM:

Hi Traci and any others,

Sorry I missed yesterday. I just wasn't able to get to a computer at work and once I got home, my older son was using the computer because apparently he has a lot of papers to catch up on before the end of the week

I did shoulders, chest, and triceps yesterday. One armed pushups, are they nuts? I didn't do as bad as I thought on the rest, but I struggled with some of the overhead tricep exercises once I got tired. It went by quickly though. ARX seems to really be working for me, so I was glad to get to do that again.

Do you think we're Ok with the name?

I'm still struggling with getting enough food prepared to take with me all day. I've had to resort to Power Bars some days. Any ideas?

Today is Plyo X. I'm looking forward to that and will probably do 30 minutes of step as a warmup.

Tracy
RE POSTED BY TEDDY16410 (traci) @ 5am

Good morning,

Traci, nice of you to copy Tracy's post over to here.

Tracy, today is PlyoX for me (for the first time). Looking forward to it. Boy, I was tired yesterday, but I'm usually tired on Mondays. Think the 40 mile bike ride in cold conditions wasn't a great rest day for my body, but oh well. I'm a little sore in the chest area today, but not bad. One armed pushups:eek:! Oh my! Glad that's not any time soon for me. I was hungry all day, a burning feeling in my stomach that I rarely feel when I'm eating more carbs. I sure looked forward to my sweet potato last night. I was hungry even though this is more food than I normally eat, think it's all the protein that makes me feel hungry for some reason. But actually, it's better than feeling bloated and blah.

I'll check back later, after my workout.

Here are my stats that I took on Sunday:

Before P90X 12/3/06
Weight: 121.6
BF (Tanita) 25.3
Chest: 33"
Waist 26"
Hips 35"
L. Thigh 20"
R. Thigh 20"
L. Bicep 11"
R. Bicep 10 3/4"

I finally got my Picture Trail working again and am in the process of loading pictures to my P90X album. Have a few on there. Sigh, my legs are huge, maybe from cycling, most may be from my genetics. All of us women in our family have stocky, sturdy, short legs.

BBL,
Jeanette

Good Morning Xers!
Yesterday caught a 24 tummy bug... the "Natural Cleanse" kind so could not muster up strength to do my w/o. Its great how P90 plan is set up tho because I can tack yesterday on to todays w/out a problem. Todays: Kenpo X (my fav!) + yesterdays Legs, Back, Abs

Tracy: LOL: i-arm pushups! Dont ya just sometimes look at Tony at say "You gotta be kidding dude?" Food planning: I cook 1-2x a week and make my Chicken breasts & Turkey Breasts & Veggie Burgers in bulk. Grab some salad in a bag... some LF String Cheese and a few nuts and you're good to go! There are some pretty cool little containers out now (not alot of $$) that are insulated... We mustr be a huge market of "take with" food people right now! Enjoy Plyo X ... its a burner if you BRING IT

Buffy: LOL on you too about CH-SH-TRI... Just when you start to feel a little smug in phase 1 BAM-O He hits you w/ this one! I am absolutely in AWE of level of DOMS this week... Never in my life has it taken days to start feeling recovered.

Sandra: Congrats on completing day 1! I'm w/ ya on Ab Ripper X. I changed it up a bit until next week because I felt I was modifying so much that I just wasnt getting the job done. Next week I bring it back into the rotation. Until then... I ve been using Abs Hits As follows:
Day 1: 20 minutes Obliques Work
Day: 3: 20 min Crunches & Planks
Day 5: 20 min Lower Abs & Back Work (my weakness)
plus I do whatever abs are on the end of my "add-ons" for the day.
Seems to really be helping strengthen by the 20 min intensity
Are you adding in all your "new calories" at once? That could be a big jump for your body to process....Dont want you to gain and get discouraged!

FOX2: VERY smart the way you did Plyo X! I usually do 1 full set at low impact anyway just because I NEED my knees for step!

JEANETTE: Pictures!!!! I love pictures!!!! We have almost the identical body shape.... Your shoulders & arms are already quite impressive!!! You look like my GOAL! How tall are you btw? 121 is teeny tiny to me...I'm 5'5' w/ a 125 goal wt. Had to LOL... ya THINK your 40 mile ride contributed to fatigue????? I too seem to drool a bit more at my sweet potatoes these days.... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Maybe I'll have one w/ my egg whites....

Chat later- May we all have a BRING IT! kinda day

Hi all X-er's!

Today was Shoulders and Arms. Wowza! Love this workout. I was able to do all including the Bonus Round and on most upped my weights from last time! How do you guys get here so early? I was up at 4:30, am ready for work, walked the dogs and now I sit down and you all have been here already! That is what I call "bringing it" LOL;-)

Fox2: LOL I get up between 3 & 4am every day... no alarm clocks.. I have been this way since I was in grade school! DH is same way & so are the 3 kids (our dogs)!!!
I am so envious of you and Shoulders & Arms! That is my all time favorite strength w/o. TIME FLYS! I love the quick pace and the diversity move to move!!! Its out of rotation in phase 2 but back in phase 3. I'm already having withdrawals.

Question for you all doing the X... I am scheduled for my first recovery week next week and except for Sunday, ( my day 1) I will be out of town in a hotel Mon, Tues and Wed. Should I just use the treadmill and get a lot of cardio that way, and when I get back pick up the other stuff? I guess I am glad that the travelling was scheduled for the recovery week or I would really be bummed!

Deb ( aka Fox2star!)

Deb: I'd take P90 especially Core Syn & Kenpo and do them in room... The only reason I say this is Kenpo is Kick designed to work Shoulders & Arms (as a 2nd day in a reg week) and Core Syn is designed to be a Cardio W/ Intense Ab focus.
If you decide not to use at least make sure you are getting the full purpose of each w/o so you dont lose ground. Recovery Week is about resting major muscles BUT getting in cardio and Extreme core work.
(according to manual).... I didnt do my recovery week as outlined and I was really mad at myself. The longer I do P90 the clearer I become on how it all masterfully works together... I'm unfortunately a "tweeker" by nature so I feel I was not getting the most out of phase 1. Just my thoughts...

Hi all you X'ers!

Well, I brought it today with PlyoX and felt super athletic doing these moves. The time went by pretty fast. I tried to use my HRM, but it immediately went to 191, stuck there, dropped to 147, stuck there and then went to 0. It just doesn't like my TV. It's an M32 and is a waste. It does work away from the TV though. It even malfunctions when I ride my bike under large power lines. I'd like to get a better one sometime.

I need to get more organized in the evening with my meals and such. DH has been off work for a couple of days so I don't have to worry about his lunch but will tomorrow. It just takes some time putting it together.

Traci, I'm 5'2". Yep, short arms and legs so I don't really want to build more muscle, mostly define and lose the fat covering. Hope you are over your 24 hr. bug. Not fun. I like your suggestions for the meals and making chicken breasts ahead of time and such. That will work for me. I'm not much of a meal maker so the portions work good.

Fox2, way to go on increasing your weights. I'm looking forward to that workout. Have to check which phase it's in. I get up at 2:30, veg until my workout at 3:30. Then get on the computer around 4:45 or so to post. Running out of time as I have to get ready for work now.

Hope everyone has a great day today. I feel pretty energized right now. Must have been my barley I ate this morning (like oatmeal). It's good and a nice change from oatmeal.

Must go now,

Jeanette

Morning Everyone,

Today will be Chest & Back and Ab Ripper. Last night I did Kenpo and really enjoyed the work out. All the punching was great. Really feel it in my shoulders and arms. My HR only went out of the zone during the blocks. I must not be doing those with enough intensity. These moves where something new for me though.

I don't know how you all get up so early, but then I'm a night owl so that probably explains it. DH works nights and I like to see his face. :+

Have a great day,

Laurie

Good Morning!!

This morning I did PlyoX. I really love that workout. Tonite I will do Ab Ripper and some hanging ab work.

I cannot believe the DOMS I'm having from chest, shoulders and tris. I felt kind of wimpy during the workout because there were quite a few types of the pushups I had to modify, but, my goodness I am really feeling it today.

BBL.

Buffy

Hi X-ers!

Today in prep for P90X I did David Kirsch's Ultimate NY Body Plan workout. A very, tough challenging specially sequenced series of exercises, using low weights-high reps and tons of plyo/push-up work.

I am waiting for the arrival of my package this week. I cannot wait to go to school!

BTW, I am also 5'2", 147 pounds (down from 160 since September) and know from experience that I get very good results from weight work. I have a tiny, solid waist that develops good abs but bottom heavy so I will have to continue to work on that while doing P90X.

Have an Xcellent day!

X

Mid Morning Check In!

Completed yesterdays Workout... It was TOUGH
P90 Legs & Back
Kick Max Leg drills
SJP Warm Up + Hi Lo Drills + Abs & Planks
69 minutes total - I was starving so took a break to get a Protein Drink in me.... My legs are NOODLES
I may go to store and then whip out Kenpo + Ab Hits Crunches & Planks
I'll just put on baby powder so I dont stink out WalMart!

Jeanette: Great job on Plyo X... Its a power hitter for sure. Bummer on HRM . My Polar F4 & F6 are fine w/ electrical stuff... I think it was a glitch w/ watches ones high tech TVs came out. The newer versions seem to have no problems. Maybe Santa????

Laurie: Glad you liked Kenpo- & I agree its an awesome upper workout. I love it because it is doable w/ my 2# gloves without risk of throwing my neck & shoulder out! I am always leery when I do Cathes w/ them

Buffy: Plyo X DONE! Good for you girl. I STILL have DOMS from my Thursday CH-SH-Tri.... It is amazing that even w/ modifications we are feeling it so much GOOD JOB

X: I LOVE NYBP workout! I did the 14 day program about 3 months ago and it kicked a plateau thru the roof.... Its a great pre-P90 prep!!! Good choice! I think he has it out on video - I may look into it after I finish P90X

Off to get the groceries for holiday baking.
BRING IT

Good morning, Xers!

Okay, okay. I did some good yesterday. My body hurts. Back and shoulders, mostly. I've gotten much more DOMS from Cathe's GS Chest workout, but I'm not convinced I reached my upper limit with the push ups. I'll probably feel it more the next time I do the workout, and know what the heck is going on.

In a little bit I'm going to attempt Plyometrics for the first time. I'm a bit nervous, but I keep telling myself "just do your best; forget the rest." I love that statement. It's exactly what I need to hear (for most things that I procrastinate about doing).

Who else is following the eating plan? I'm on Day 2 of the First Phase (level 1). It's taking a copious amount of time to plan my meals, and required a trip to the grocery store last night. Hopefully I'll get into a routine soon enough. I was very hungry by time I went to bed last night, starving for breakfast this morning, and have just had half a Power Bar to give me a bit more energy for the workout I'm going to do. I'm telling myself that I need to give this 3 or 4 days for my body to adjust to the nutrient changes. I really don't like eating so few carbs - I'm a grain-fed girl LOL! Must be why I'm so soft and tender. A number of years ago I followed the Zone diet, and I remember the first few days were rough, as my body went through carb withdrawl. So, I shall stick with this for a few more days.

Traci - It's kind of interesting. They say that with Level 1 of the food plan you eat 1800 calories a day, but when I allocated WW Points to what I ate yesterday, it worked out to 30 points, which is approximately 1500 calories. Today's menu that I've planned will be about 1600 calories. Interesting, hey? I wonder if they anticipate people will "cheat"? Since I've been eating around 30 points a day with WW for a long time now, I don't think I'm overloading my body with too many calories. Hopefully I will adjust to the new protein/carb/fats ratio in a few days and start to lose my bodyfat. I plan to follow Phase One for 4 weeks at the most. I hope you ate 45 points today to fuel your marathon workout! :) :) I don't know how you do all that in one day.

Jeannette - Your PRE-measurements are what I want my POST measurements to be LOL!!! Seriously, what is your goal with P90X? More muscle? More definition? I don't have a HRM so when I do PlyoX today I will just have to go by my perceived exertion.

This Saturday night is DH's work Christmas party. It's a dinner/theater event. How do I handle the dinner part of this? Should I phone the theater, ask what the menu will be, and tell them how I want my plate modified? What would you do?

Have a great day,
Sandra
- going to Bring the Baby to Bed, then Bring It Baby!

Morning Sandra!
RE: Dinner party- GREAT IDEA to call and ask about menu! Even if they cant/wont modify your plate at least you know how to plan your food day. Also If its stuff you REALLY dont want to ingest... I'd eat a full dinner at home and politely take a few bites at the dinner. How fun tho! My DHs party is Tuesday the 12th... food is a place where there isnt a veggie in site! Its not a bar but it is what I call bar food only. Its only 3 hours and starts at 6 - I normally eat no later than 5pm so I'm just eating at home.

Glad you have DOMS today:p You are EXACTLY right about your ability to increase intensity tho. I just re-read the big manual last weekend and he states that each phase has 3 parts: Adaptive, Mastery & Revovery. Week 1 is Adaptive.... Just learn the moves, try and focus on form over reps. Weeks 2&3 are MASTERY: "Bring IT!" and of course the much deserved Recovery for cardio/Ab focus.

About Food Plan- Ya know I didnt think I was doing it right because my calories were lower than they state... LOLOLOL I think its because foods dont come in EXACT calories if they are un processed. I try to stick w/ 1400-1600 days (zig zag) using his block plan.

RE: Plyo X and HRM. Interesting workout... It only burns about 300 calories for me BUT its an incredible leg workout. Its actually designed to be your 2nd lower body every week. Its like Core Syn. - thats another "cardio" one but your ABS are what the real surprise is all about. Cant wait to hear how you like it since you are a Cathe vet. I could actually do moves he does similar to Cathes but I could never do them w/ Cathe because of the pace. Its really a wonderful balance with Cathe/Tony. I see myself (down the road) getting rid of all my other stuff except these 2 instructors.

Hi all,

Glad to see so many people are checking in. Forgive me if I miss anyone on the personals. I can't seem to read and remember...

Jeanette, 40 miles is what I strive for in good weather. I'm starving afterwards though. Have you ever tried a freestyle approach for legs. I did a modified approach doing 60-80 reps for 6 exercises 3 times a week all spring and summer and saw excellent definition and help with endurance. I've switched for a while because I hit a plateau. I'm going heavier now and had much more power on my bike.

Buffy, you and I are at exactly the same place. I'm happy to do plyox tonight so I can feel like I'm not back to square one again.

Sandra, be sure to eat enough. I got the water weight gain in my legs at the end of the 3rd week, cut calories and paid dearly with my performance.

Janet, I surely don't lift as heavy as you. Great job. I'm aspiring to that later in the program. Also a few unassisted chin ups.

Deb, I'd try to do core syn while you are gone. I couldn't believe how flat my abs were the next day after doing it. It is much harder than it looks. Especially the chaturanga runs....

I have both of my sons doing p90X too. I know it is because they have noitced the increased muscle mass that I have. That really says a lot for a program.

Traci, you get up really early. I though I was up early at 4:45.

Well, back to work.

Tracy

Hi again!

Hoo hoo. The DOMS is starting to soak in from yesterday. Anything involving putting bodyweight on my arms is really feeling, ah, painful. I guess I worked harder than I thought I did!

I did PlyoX this morning. Very, very interesting workout. I don't have a HRM, but the amount of sweat soaking my body seemed to indicate that I was working hard. I have to credit Cathe for making this workout very achievable. I worked hard, no doubt, but nothing was beyond my capabilities. All of that plyo work Cathe puts in her IMAXes, blasts, and leg workouts really works! I liked how fast PlyoX flew by.

Am I correct in presuming that this is like an interval workout, where you work in the high-end of your THR during the drills, and then let it drop for recovery in between? Your heartrate is not meant to remain at a steady high level throughout this whole workout, right?

Trac-i: Ooooh, your idea to eat your dinner first at home is a good one. These Christmas party dinners are always served notoriously late in the evening, and like you, I eat dinner at 5pm. I've been wondering how I'm going to get by until the dinner. I was thinking if I ate a meal at home first, and refused the dinner at the theater, it would appear rude or weird. But everyone's usually more interested in themselves and their own meals, aren't they? Who's really going to care if I eat or not? I think I'll call the theater, find out what's on the menu, then decide what I'm going to do. Thanks for the suggestion!

Regarding the food plan, are you following the phases? That would put you in the second phase, where you get more carbs, right?

I completely understand how PlyoX is a leg workout. The workouts in the first three weeks of this program seem to have the cardio folded into them. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the idea that these kinds of workouts can burn body fat. I've been so programmed to think that losing fat is all about doing pure cardio until you're worn to the bone. I'm hoping that by the end of P90X I'll have lost that connection; it's only one short step to exercise-anorexia, and I have the kind of personality that could inadvertantly take that step (actually, I've been there many, many years ago. It's not pretty).

Trac-y: Thank you for the words of advice. So, you're suggesting that if I start to feel like I'm bloating or gaining, to be patient, and not change the eating plan? I will keep that in mind. Frankly, if I start looking fat, I'll be sending out the alarm on this forum big time, and you can all rush in and remind me of this good advice. :)

Okay, time to get some other work done.
Cheers,
Sandra

Hi all again,

I have pretty good DOMS in my upper body from shoulders, arms and triceps.

I was glad to get to do PlyoX. I don't have a HR monitor, but I sure feel like I'm burning calories. Towards the end I was landing a little heavy :(. I did the warmup the did 3 sets of the following wieght circuit before I started the actual plyometrics.

Squats 90lbs 15 reps,
Static lunges 50lbs 15 reps,
Deadlifts 80lbs 14 reps,
Front bar squats 50lbs 15 reps

This took me about 15 minutes; the rests got longer as I got more tired. I'm sticking with lower body weights 3 days a week because that's working for me in addition to the classic rotation.

Tracy

Laurie,
I'm feeling more DOMS now in my triceps, back and shoulders from Chest & Back yesterday. Have AbX to do tomorrow along with Shoulders and Arms & think. I'll see if I do better on the abwork.

Buffy, wimpy we are not. I enjoyed PlyoX today too. My first time.

X - seems like you and I have similar body types. I'm finding that I do better with more weight work. I'm doing the Classic rotation as I want to see what my body does with less cardio as designed by this rotation.

Traci, you got a great workout! I love SJP too. Hungry? I'm so hungry eating more protein for some reason. I usually eat less calories overall but more carbs and never felt this hungry. But it's a good hungry, think I explained that before. I haven't had any bloating either. Yep, I think a new HRM is in the cards.

Sandra, how was Plyo? Not too scarey after I got into it. Yep, Cathe has prepared us pretty well I think. I'm doing the regular Phase 1 eating portion plan. And I'm hungry, I guess from all the protein? I agree, it's taking me longer to get the meals ready. Before, I was just so bad at making a quick bowl of oatmeal for dinner. Now I have to think about it. I'm going to get some stuff ready tonite as the workout is longer tomorrow and I also make my DH's lunch after my workout. My goals with P90X? To lower the bodyfat %, rev my metabolism with more lean muscle, get more definition. Don't really want to gain any size. My DH has a company party on Friday night. Usually they have buffet so I think I'll go for the veggies and meat. May save my 1 carb serving for then too. The hard part is the dessert. We'll be dancing afterwards so maybe I can work off a few calories. I really think Plyo is a leg workout for me. Where I've been sore is my hip flexors, especially doing AbX yesterday. They are sore today.

Tracy, I did do Slim Series for a while and it did help slim my legs. On the bike, I'm more of a masher than a spinner, but have built a lot of power too. I may go to a Slim Series or freestyle later on and see if it helps. I've been drinking tons of water lately and have much less water weight puffiness.

Must go now, way to go everyone, for bringing it!

Jeanette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.