Workout Warriors July5-11 In the Heat Wave!

lightening16

Cathlete
Hey Everyone

Hope you all survived Independance day!!! We ended up having people over yesterday as well and my butt was so sore from the walking lunges that I didn't do anything but stay in the pool. Today I have tonnes of yardwork to do and I started ROP!!! The kettlebell Rite of Passage.

So I loosely followed AOS workbook but it felt a little too light! I did:
WU: dislocates and figure 8's, squats and halo's
WO: 3x3 C&P with assisted pull-ups.
5 min snatches, 10L/10R repeated 4 times.
CO goblet squats.

I found that my left hand side was having a hard time with the presses at the end but I guess that's the idea but my right had no problem. I also did a clean with each press. The snatch time I found that I didn't need the minute rest that was suggested so I just did 30 sec.

I just finished battling with the Rototiller and I am drenched in sweat. I am going to jump in the pool and hopefully find something less torturous to do for a while. We haven't turned the A/C on yet but we may have to break down today!

Cathy - Do the boys get to swim in the pool that they clean out??? I am assuming that you are getting this heat too. Did you ride today?

Janis - You must be counting the minutes by now!!! Hope you were able to enjoy the weekend and celebrate yesterday!

Hello to MJ and Tara -

Cheers Heather
Heather

Hi Warriors

I haven't been doing much of anything. The highlight of my day is taking a shower and of course eating. I have lost weight, however I think it might be muscle loss.

Heather - Thanks for the description of the Ninja Tuck Jump. I'm not sure how I got 'box' in there. I used to do those as a kid but from a Hero yoga pose. Ah, those were the days. Your workout + rototiller sounded like a brutally athletic workout. Congrats on graduating to ROP. I meant to tell you that I was not impressed with AOS Providence. I can send it to you, if you want to look at it, I don't think I'll be using it for a loooonnnnggg while. And, yes, I am counting down the hours until my Orthopod date. :p. I hope I'll be at least one step closer to an answer.

Cathy - I was wondering, too, if you are suffering from the east coast heat wave? I love weeping willows - so poetically beautiful. The pool must have been installed after the willow, yes? Otherwise, what were they thinking? Hey, have you ever harvested tender green branches and attempted to weave a basket? Not too dissimilar from knitting, I think. Did Sparty get to swim in the pool too?

T-48hrs (2880 minutes)
:eek:

Last edited:
Yesterday I finally got in a decent ride of 14 miles in 85 minutes. The whole time I was trying to wrap my brain around a decent size route that would have me doing the steeper hills going down! However, there are so many ups and downs I don't think it's even possible.

This morning I did Step, Jump and Pump - step, hi-lo and abs.

Yes, the boys have been swimming - every time they go over. One skims while the other dives for leaves on the bottom and then they both swim/play for awhile. They were pretty bummed to notice that the guys were back a little fly ago, and we went over so they could ask it they should still do it the second time today, but Gerry had already done it. However, he told them they could go ahead and swim and dive for the ones on the bottom if they wanted, so we're going over in a bit. The willow was planted after and Sam says that he really likes the way it blocks the pool, which is fine for him to say since he makes Gerry clean it. :p

Only 48 hrs Janis!! I'm sure you are counting every minute/second!

Heather yes, it's hot here. It was already in the mid-70's at 8 a.m. today! And it's supposed to be that way again tomorrow, too. Good thing we got our air fixed!

Have to finish up the dishes before we go over to the pool.

Ahhh..... Janis I just bought Providence as it was on sale. Oh well. Tomorrow is going to seem like a long day I bet. Is there anything for you to weave????

I have to work tomorrow but it will be indoors over a computer (but with a good friend - very fun). Then I am going to see Eclipse with another friend and my mom when I get home. Crazy but we all read the books and juvenile as they are want to see the movie. Then is will be another early morning audit the nxt day. So I may not be able to post tomorrow so...all the best Janis and Cathy good luck keeping cool!

Heather

This morning I did disk 10 - Chest, shoulders and biceps and I'm saying good-bye to all those bleeping push-ups that go with Meso 1!

The boys have friends over. One of Derek's teammates and his brother who plays on the other 12U team, but played with both of them last year. There is a lot of noise coming from the basement right now and I'm hoping everything down there survives! :p I am not going to be a popular person in about 1/2 an hour when I tell them it's almost time to take them home.

Janis I've got everything crossed for you!

Heather hope you are also staying cool and enjoy your day.

MJ & Tara are you out there?????

This morning was Disk 12 Legs. I was thinking all the way through how much I like the leg conditioning extra exercises at the end - until I had to do them. :p

Going to be our hottest day yet today and we're finally able to go to homeschool group again. Only going for 2 hours - that's about as much of the heat I can take.

Janis I hope you get a chance to let us know your news later. Heather stay cool! MJ & Tara - going to send out a search party for you!

Hey Warriors
THis morning I had to leave at 3 am to go to an audit and I worked all day yesterday so I am not feeling very warrior-ish. I am hoping to get something in this afternoon (in the basement) Yesterday morning was Variety Day so I did a mix. Each round started with 40 jump rope and ended with 10 swings

1. 20 Prisoner squats,20 1armed swings
2. 20 Cleans, 20 push-ups
3. 20 Presses, 20 Forward backward lunges
4. 20 KB squats in rack; 20 Reptile
5. 20 snatches; one legged sit to stands
6. 20 split push-ups, 20 windmill
7. 20 Jump forward 2 jumps back; 20 Side-V sits

It was about 30 minutes.

Cathy - I hope you are staying cool! I should be adding in those Leg drills again. Great job with Disc 12! SO how did your calf like step? It must have been so nice to get to do it again. I was wondering if you did it barefoot or in your vibrams? Did you say already? I have been a little out of touch lately.

Janis - I was thinking of you yesterday. I really hope that you got the best possible news. Let us know when you get the chance.

Hey to MJ and Tara
Sleepy Heather

Hey again!
So after my morning nap I did my Medium Day.

WU: Dislocates, halo's, wall squats
WO: 3x3 C&P with 12Kg with Pull-ups
HTH Swings 6min. 20/20,15/15,10/10,10/10, 10/10,3/3 =136

40 Russian Twists, 20 Lat-pulls with leg extensions, 10 KB sit-ups
CO: Pool 6min. flutter board laps, vertical sitting flutter laps, arm pulls and 40 jump lunges with arms out for resistance

If you can believe this for my last ladder I was all the way through when I remembered I was supposed to be doing pull-ups too. (I am blaming lack of sleep). So I did the 6 at the end. I had to wear my weight lifting gloves as one of my callouses managed to pull some skin.

Hope to hear from you Janis and Cathy - I hope you are staying cool!
Heather

I actually did the step barefoot with no problems - mainly because I didn't stub my toe this time. :p Normally, I'd ride tomorrow, but I learned last week that riding the morning after a leg workout isn't necessarily fun! I'll see how I feel.

Heather, when I read the list of what you've done I feel like it's in a foreign language and that if I could understand it I'd be very scared. :eek: :D

Hey Cathy

Sorry for the mumbo jumbo! I have a journal that I keep so I write it all in there and then cut and paste it...Kettlebell language takes a bit of getting used to!
Warm-up
Dislocates sound terrible but is a great way to warm up your shoulders. You take a broom stick and then hold either end with the bar horizontal. Slowly rotate your arms around so that the bar is behind you (You have to keep your hands loose - or they would get all twisted up).
Halo's are done holding on to the kettlebell horns and you slowly rotate the bell around your head - it also warms you up and warms up the shoulders
Work Out
The 3x3 C&P is basically that you do 1 Kettebell Clean and then a press on one side then the same thing on the other followed by one pull-up. The next round you do 2 on each side and 2 pull-ups, then 3 on each side and then 3 pull-ups. Then you take a break and start the whole thing over again. The HTH is Hand to Hand swings, so at the top of the swing you pass the bell to the other hand so for the 20/20 I have really done 40 swings total.

Hope that helps... so really not so scary!
We just had a crazy rain storm but it is still hot! The garden will be very happy!
Cheers
Heather

Hi Warriors!

I am finally home from my day in Santa Rosa and my visit to the Orthopedic doc. An x-ray did not reveal any full fractures, which is good news. However, stress fractures usually do not show up on x-rays right away; he thinks, from my description of my pain and from my activity (running), that it is a stress fracture. Just to be sure and to rule out other scary possibilities he wants me to have a bone scan done. I made an appt for Saturday. It involves injecting me with radioactive isotopes and being scanned three times, so it will take a chunk out of Saturday.

I'll write more tomorrow. I am exhausted from hauling myself around on crutches. The doc wants me to continue to use them and was pleased that I had taken the initiative to begin using them when I did.

He had never heard of kettlebells (ha!) but didn't think they had anything to do with my injury, he did think I should abandon running in favor of bicycling (his sport).

Heather - my goodness - you're working crazy hours and doing double workouts! Look who's the Warrior, even if you don't feel like it, you are!

Cathy - bicycling uses quads in such a uniquely different way - I completely understand why biking shouldn't follow STSlegs (or Hiit).

Waving Hi to MJ & Tara - miss you both.

P.S. People stare at people with "disabilities", I was gawked at today in ways in which I have never experienced. Such an eye opener.

Janis I'm glad you are starting to get answers and hopefully that test Saturday - while certainly not fun sounding - will give you all the answers you need. Do you have a bike? So your doc is promoting his sport? I do think it's much easier on the body than running. I know it's easier on mine! Hopefully, he'll soon have you on the road to working out again. And he's right about you taking the initiative to stay off it until you could get there. Better to play it smart.

Why do people feel free to gawk? Even if they are curious there's no reason to be blatant about it. I certainly have talked to the boys about such things. Maybe you should wear a sign like "injured warrior."

I opted to do Stretch Max with the mat and with the band today. My legs aren't killing me, but they are tight and so is my lower back. With tomorrow being a back day, I decided resting it was the better option.

Heather thanks for the descriptions definitely sounds much better when explained. ;)

Another full day at home. I really don't know what to do with myself this week. I'm even out of reading material until Saturday.

Last edited:
Finished off Meso 1 this morning with Disk 11 Back and Triceps. I have to say Meso 1 just flew by this time. I think mainly because the first three weeks we were in baseball almost every day mode and life in general was chaotic!

Next week will be cardio, core and stretching! Yes, stretching....really....I'll do some stretching....

Janis I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping your test goes smoothly!

Heather was things with nasty sounding names are you doing today? :p

MJ & Tara I'm rounding up the search party.

Hi Warriors!

Cathy - Wow wow wow, Meso 1 finished! That did seem fast. A week of stretching and cardio sounds divine! I am shocked at how quickly I am losing muscle tone. Most of the 'gawk at the disabled person' looks I received fell into two categories, 1)Pity or 2)Puzzled curiosity. I don't "look" injured and can put my foot down without pain and even walk on it, so it is puzzling to people who can't "see" an obvious injury.

Did you find something to do or read ?

I have a cheap-o stationary bike and a mountain bike. The stationary one is ok for about 20 minutes, then it just isn't worth the effort. The mountain bike I have hardly ridden as I need to install a hitch on my vehicle in order to take the bike somewhere to ride - safely. Right now sitting on a bike of any sort sounds like torture. Doing any exercise, for that matter, sounds like torture, although I am thinking about breaking out the Pilates dvds.

Heather
- How was Eclipse? I haven't read any of the books, boy - they sure are popular! Have you caught up on your lost sleep? Has the heat wave broken?

So - I was up and around yesterday and did a lot more than I should have, by afternoon I was feeling it - a lot - and feeling foolish for having pushed it. I need to find the right balance between activity and rest. And the balance between using crutches and walking a few paces in and around the kitchen. Because there isn't immediate feedback like - put foot down:experience pain - I end up walking and bearing too much on it then I pay for it later. Frustrating.

Tomorrow is radionuclide day. Fun Warrior like stuff! (Not!)
:D

Hey Everyone

Today I am listening to my body and taking a break. I am sore from yesterdays workout and have been reading a bunch of stuff on why rest days are so important. So I am "resting" So no crazy moves todays just alot of stretching is my plan! I am coaching DS8's soccer game tonight so I am kind of excited!!!

Janis!!!!I am so glad to hear from you but so sad and mad for you! How is it that you are in the state you are in!!! Are you more inclined to have stress fractures? Why you? Is it because you are a true warrior and go out so strong? At least once you know what is going on you can move forward with a plan! So did he really so no more running or was he just pushing you towards cycling? There may be some validity if you are going to keep suffering injuries but I know what running means to my brain and sense of well-being! I guess you will have to do what you have to do! My Dh had a bone scan not too long ago and he didn't find it to be rough.
As for stares... When I was on crutches it was Febuary and I was on campus where it was slippery and slushy. People would stare but then not hold the door open as you muddled through. People are funny about that kind of stuff. As for muscle tone.... it can go fast but I know that you will build it back fast too! Don't worry about that stuff!!!!

Cathy: Congrats on getting Meso 1 done!!! I hope you find something to do... I always end up on the internet when that happens which tends to lead to purchases that I don't need to make!!!

So I was pointed to this site that has some innovative warm-ups and something called movement prep... as well as info on how to get your hips working better and alot of other stuff for free (you can subscribe but why would you if you can get all this for free!) Check it out!
http://www.coreperformance.com/knowledge/workouts/a-better-warm-up.html

talk to you soon
Heather

Janis I hope everything is going smoothly for you today! Are you getting any answers today or do you have to see your doctor again for those? Have you recovered from your day of too much activity. It would be hard when you don't have a good way to judge how much is too much. :(

I finally made it to the library this morning, so I now have plenty of reading material. Yesterday, however, I finally pulled out my scrapbook stuff. I did the boys pages for 2005. :eek: Yes, that means I'm still 5 years behind in their books and I also have to work on the family book. My goal is going to be an hour a day during the week whenever possible and maybe be caught up in...oh a year! :p

Heather how was it coaching soccer? I could, if someone was in desperate need, coach a baseball team or even basketball. However, soccer is something at which I'm almost totally clueless. Did you get a workout in today? I'm resting as I went and did my Saturday shopping/errands all by myself for the second week in a row. :D

Nicholas has a double header tomorrow, but Derek and I can only go to the first though as we have a birthday party to go to. Nicholas was supposed to go, but he'll be playing instead. Personally, I'd rather watch the game, but I know Derek would feel really bad for his friend if at least one of them didn't make it. It's almost an hours drive though and at a park that is always really crowded. In truth, I think that his parents haven't really grasped that the location by a playground is one that he's outgrown pretty much, but they are so used to doing the same thing every year that it doesn't seemed to have crossed their minds to move to something more appropriate for his age.

Hey

The bone scan revealed that my bones are clean. There was no evidence of a stress fracture, inflammation, infection, disease, or cancer. Nothing. I am happy that I am not broken, but I am still puzzled why I have pain even after weeks of bed rest.

Once he has seen the results the doctor will call me sometime next week, he'll probably recommend an MRI and/or seeing a physical therapist.

Since it is not skeletal, that leaves muscle and tendons. The treatment for both of those is rest from the activity that created the injury, stretching and isolation type strengthening exercises (both can be achieved with yoga and Pilates), and regular use of NSAIDs.

I have resumed acetaminophen and ibuprofen.

We'll see what happens.

Heather - thanks for the link, I bookmarked it and will definitely refer to it often. In my reading one point surfaced again and again, and that is we do not tend to warm up enough, nor do we stretch enough, hence injuries develop. How did the soccer game go?! I love soccer and watching/coaching that age level is a lot of fun. (I have never coached, but I have been to a life-time worth of practices and games!)

Cathy - How did baseball and birthday parties go? I know what you mean by parents doing the easy-same-'ol-same-'ol birthday party. It is so boring and really lazy. Your creek birthday party puts their toddler playground of slides/swings to shame.:)

While we were down in Santa Rosa yesterday we bought three more fruit trees. An O'Henry peach, a Fuji apple, and a Santa Rosa plum. We're talking about planting some table grapes too.

Time to get caught up on laundry and baking and cleaning the fridge.

I'll try some stretching/strengthening tomorrow and will report back.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.