Watercooler~~~~~Jimmy Buffett Tuesday!

aschendell

Cathlete
Hi all....just starting us off before getting going with my Jimmy Buffett preparations!! I should be back for a quickie in a few!!

Hope everyone has a fantastic day!
Debra

http://www.picturetrail.com/aschendell

To be a part of this Dance even for a moment is an unfathomably huge gift---Eoin Finn

0101_10009001662.gif
[/url]

Good morning!

I, too, want to know what these JB preparations are, and why they start so early in the day? Isn't the concert in the evevning?

I didn't realize we had so many JB fans in our midst. Hello Robin! I guess that explains your screen name :)

Today's workout will be 4DS Kickbox, including legs and pull ups. Then CoreMax premix #2 (Strong Core, I think it's called?).

Have a great day. I'll BBL to catch up on yesterday's posts.

Cheers,
Sandra

Hi Sandra. Yup, I'm a parrothead in training. I've never gotten to a concert, but I understand they can be an all day affair. I also understand tickets are up to about $200, which is one reason I haven't gotten to one yet.

Good Morning Ladies,

L&G is on tap for today. Yes, I didn't cross it off my to-do list yesterday.:eek: But, I did do Eoin twice! We had a matinee and late night getaway.:+ My shoulders are starting to loosen up a tad bit more thanks to Eoin.

Going back to read yesterday's posts. I took a nap once dh came home. Never made it back here. I hope Tracy wasn't in the tornado area.

Wendy

Good Morning Ladies!

Did we lose all our early morning posters?? lol. Today will be KP&C, which is not my favorite, but I'll suck it up since it's on the rotation. I will have to sub some b/c I don't have a treadmill or all of those workouts (like Ab Hits), but I'll still pick hard workouts, so NO slacking }( Things here are pretty quiet. I DID get my economic stimulus rebate yesterday, though :D :D :D I'm amazed the federal government managed to do something right and get it out EARLY!! Now if only my uncle's lawyer would get his act together and get the inheritance checks out to me and my sisters... }( They were supposed to be sent out 2 WEEKS ago... grrrr... lawyers... Otherwise, it's status quo for us today. Karate for DS later on and the usual amount of schoolwork for the kids :)

Laurie -- Wireless is nice b/c now all the computers will be hooked up to the internet. It means much less fighting over who's using the computer (previously only 1 was always online). I'd love to be able to get outside and run, but with 3 kiddos, I'd have to wait until DH got home and that just feels too late to my body :(

Wendy -- I hope you have a great time with L&G today. The pace in that one always feels SO fast to me, lol. Did you manage to get all the schoolwork in with all that organizing?

Sandra -- Ooh, I love Drill Max :) I'll have to stick that somewhere on my rotation when I have to sub (I'm doing the June '07 one). How cool about the certification. It sounds like you're doing great with it so far!

Patricia -- LOL about DH and the forums/STS. DH just leaves me alone with it. I don't ask about his computer/video games, and he doesn't ask about my fitness stuff. lol.

Christiane -- WOW! You've got a lot on your plate right now. I know how you feel about not being a daily poster. I struggle with that myself, too. Please do stop in whenever you get a chance and good luck with your upcoming move!!

Kim -- ^5 on being in the top quarter!! Way to go!

Debra -- I LOVE Wii bowling, lol! I wouldn't count that one as a workout, but if you had done the boxing, I'd have counted it as cardio ;-) DH gets SO sweaty doing that one! I hope you have an AWESOME time at the concert :D

Jeanette -- I DID do PUB yesterday :D I have to do the ab work first b/c otherwise my shoulders are too fried to support me on the ball pikes. I do the rest of the weight work as produced, though. The biceps work is a killer for sure, though! I'm definitely feeling it this morning! I hope you're able to get your bike ride in this afternoon :)

I hope you all have a great day!

Carol

Hello Robin! I do believe Debra is going to his concert. Lucky girl!:) :) I wish I had a soon to be rich XDH to whittle away his income!:p ;)

Debra: I still have to email you!!!!! I WILL do so today!!!:)

Sandra: Hello, my dear sweet Sandra! Nice workout salad you've got today! Yes, I saw your chatter to me on the OD. I will have to email you as to why I didn't chatter back. For one, I took a nice long nap. But, that's not the only reason I didn't have time.

Opening up yesterday's posts now. Really, I am!

Wendy

I see Carol is holding me back from opening up yesterday's posts.;) I haven't organized everything yet. But, I can see patches of my floor!:7

Carol:)
It's so good to see you more frequently here. How's your homeschool coming along? We are cramming in as much as we can before the dreaded evaluation. I managed to squeeze in three english lessons, a science chapter, and extra reading before dh came home to do math with the girls. Today, we've got history, english, and spelling before dh does math. I'm so relieved he's taken over the twins' math this year. I have such a hard time organizing. Do you keep your kids' schoolwork after the year is finished? Do you have a difficult time getting rid of curriculum you never use, but one day may use? Do you have a school room? How do you organize all the books, art, art supplies, science, science project supplies, history, historical living books, logic, math manipulatives, etc??? It gets harder for me every year since everything grows!!!! I should start getting rid of some things!!!! Ooooo! Why don't you sub ab hits with AB RIPPER X! }( And running around the house for the treadmill. Yeah, the ground is a little mushy; wear OLD shoes. }( Are we still meeting up this weekend for Power Torture Yoga? If so, keep in mind that I'll do my best. But, my best might seem pathetic considering I still can't extend my arm fully in child's pose.:-( I'm still game if you are.

This post is going to be for Carol. Opening yet another window.:D

Wendy

Hi ladies,
It was Lowmax premix 4-7, then B&G abs. I tell you what, my legs were burning right from the get go on LM. The next day of exercising after a long ride just really gets me, hard to breathe and the legs burn. Took a while before that left. Will do a bike hill climb after work if it's not too windy. 3 other girls supposed to show too.

Debra, I'm curious too, what are the JB preps?

Sandra, nice workout combo.

Hi Robin, nice to see you! I'm curious about the preps too.

Wendy, glad you got the yoga in. My shoulder/neck was bothering me a bit last night. Just fatigue I think, or could have been because I was helping DH hold up some plywood on the ceiling of the deck area.

Carol, KPC is not my favorite either. I've just gotten to where I'd rather string together pieces of different DVD's. I get bored after a while. Glad you got your rebate. I'm wondering how we will get ours, by DD or mail as we had to pay this year and didn't provide a bank account DD account. Inheritance check, oooooh, something nice to look forward to. I think a lot of people find the stability ball abwork a toughie in PUB and do it first. Good for you for not putting the biceps first, like I do!

Gotta run, still wondering about Debra and what she's doing to prepare for the concert.

Jeanette

Carol: Which rotation did you choose? I still haven't found my HRM. I'm sure if I actually looked for it...:7 I still remember you wearing your pink watch to the diner on the RT. I'm not that committed to knowing my heart rate.:+

Laurie: Aww, how long will your dh need to work long hours? Nice pace. I think I would die after the 1/2 mile mark. I'm not a runner anymore. Maybe, I'll start running now that I have some CCs. I don't know if the CC#6 with Candance is still for sale. I'll have to check it out. I'm glad you found the massage oil locally cuz their online cs sucks!!!!! I know what you mean about the HRM strap. I tried getting my resting heartrate, but that darn strap kept waking me up all night long! Is your boss in today? Hope he came back well rested, laid back, and not into working hard!!!!

Sandra: No, new computer. My Dell I got over the summer and my laptop I got back in September are still new to me! I just finally broke down and bought a new desk for my Dell. We had to rearrange things since we got two bookcases. So, I decided now would be a good time to replace my 15 year old, veneer worn, ugly desk. I think the Ikea store went out of business. I read that they are shutting down a lot of their stores. I didn't realize this one went under since it's about 40 minutes away from us. It might be renovating. There's a lot of construction going on where it used to be located. LOL I will watch for the wiggle. I never noticed it before. Will your 50 hours of service have to be completed within a certain time period. I could be wrong, but I thought Amy-X's dh taught at their Y. LOL What a CUTIE!!! I bet that was just picture worthy!!!! Did you ask her to move over and share some cookies too?:9 :) :)

Patricia: How's the eyes coming along. LOL on your dh rolling his eyes. Thankfully, Phil couldn't care less. He thinks it's cute when I play with my imaginary friends. He didn't even bat an eye when I went to NC to play with them IRL.:7 He's hoping Jeanette will host a retreat so he can drink beer and go to Reno with the Captain.:7 Hon! Why do you think we bought the bookcases and computer desk? So I would finally get in the mood to organize. Still hasn't worked!!!!}( :+

Okay, gotta heat up my coffee before I continue with more personals.

Tracy!!!!! Hope you're safe!!!!!!!!

Wendy

Christiane: I was wondering what was going on with you. Goodness woman! Here I thought there was a MAJOR crisis with your son. I almost emailed you to make sure you were alright. But, didn't want to overstep in any way. I can breath a sigh of relief now!!! I bet you're happy to be back on the same continent!!! How exciting that your dd will be living in NYC! We will definitely have to meet up there. I can take a train into the city and play for the day before coming back home. I'm sure dh won't mind.:+ Do what you've gotta do! Congrats to your dh for making a decision to do what's best for the family! He's just making all sorts of transformations with his life. huh! Wishing you all the best!!!

Patricia: I'm guess I should count myself blessed that I don't have to get Lasik anytime soon. I sweat ALOT!!! Especially during power torture yoga!!!! I can actually wring the sweat out of my hair and clothes after class!!!!! I use a head band (never a sweat band LOL) and towel to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Kim: That's an awesome time!!! How did your first timer friend without a clue do?:eek: ;)

Debra: While you were posting last night, I was still organizing. I did Eoin PY4H2 at 11:00!!!! I can't remember. Is CBL tailgating with you too? I hope there's some protein and luscious carbs on your tailgating menu!!!;) Please, feel free to send your nonsense to my AOL account. I'll get it on my Blackberry. I just hate sending emails using my cell phone since I'm all thumbs!!! I LOVE the Tick!!! He/She/It can come live in my house whenever you get tired of obese self!}( :+ Now, about your legs!!! Girl, why are you pushing your legs to the limit? Your legs look GREAT! Stop tampering with them!!! I wish my legs looked like yours!!! I hope they stay pain free today. With enough margaritas, anything can happen.}( :+

Jeanette: OH! You are sooo bad! Please!!! Comparing my impulse mid-day drinking to your impulse CAR buying!!!! :7 :7 :7 Oh, you should throw in some X stretch or yoga to loosen up your hamstring. My hamstrings are always tight. I can tell they are tighter since I started using the trainer. It's a good thing? Right? Well, I'm loosing them up when I loosen my shoulders with Eoin. How sweet of the Captain to massage your neck and back!!! Should I send him YouTube massage clips so he rubs you the right way?!?!?!:+ In exchange, the Woodrat can cut my trees down.;) LOL on getting a car to hold your sporting paraphernalia. If we got another economy car, I would keep my station wagon since I can fit dd's harp into it when I fold the back seats down. It's always something to haul.

Okay ladies! I have children needing to be educated!!!:eek:

BBL,
Ballistic Hugs to ALL!
Wendy

Morning Coolers,

Todays workout was suppose to be 3m Run and 4DS Lower Body Weights. I ended up doing XStretch, which I think my body needed more. I plan on doing the run and weights later tonight.

Didn't get the yoga in last night, not enough time. DD's dance class went a little longer. There are some young ladies that only show up every once in a while, and they don't know the dance at all. Good thing one of them stands right next to my DD, because otherwise she would be lost like the girl at the end of the line. :D She doesn't know the dance at all, and it really shows. Ms. Sharon was very upset, because DD's row of girls is in the front.

Debra, Have a great time at the Buffett concert tonight. Bet you are going to be tired tomorrow. Yes I did receive the wine, safe and sound. Maybe next week, when DH isn't working such long hours, we can enjoy a bottle. :D DH will be working long hours for the rest of this week because they are doing a TV auction to raise money for their PBS station. They go off the air at 1am every night. He doesn't have to work on Saturday, but then on Sunday he is driving a TV truck down to Florida. They bought a new one, so the old one was traded in. The company is in FL. x( This morning he looked really tired.

Wendy, Glad your shoulders are feeling lose! ;-) Sounds like the massage and Eion are doing your body good. I too hope that Tracy was not in the area of the tornado. My boss did not come into work at all yesterday. But he is smiling this morning, and in a much better mood. Too bad he had to bug me with e-mails this morning. I hate when he sends out an e-mail with out checking other places for the answer first. :D If he would just do approvals in our purchasing system, his questions would have been answered. :D :D

Jeanette, I too am wondering what Debra is doing to prepare. :) Maybe because I am not a Buffett fan, so don't understand what you really need. :) I will ask my co-worker today, since he is a huge fan! :) Oh I have to agree with Wendy on the XStretch helping with the hamstrings. That was one of my problems when I woke up this morning. My legs where feeling tired and sore. After my stretch, I feel much much better, and actually want to do my run. Or is it just Tony you don't want to visit with. :7 :7

Carol, You don't like KPC :eek: !! Just kidding, but it is one of my favorite workouts to do. :) The wireless would probably be a good thing to do, since my youngest did spend a lot of time on the computer on Satruday. Another reason why I wasn't able to get on to chat with all of you. :) I understand the need to be home with the kids, and not running outside. Now that mine is old enough to be home alone, it is much easier.

Christiane, Dang lot going on in your life right now. Take care, and know we will be here when you have the time to chat. ;-)

Sandra, I have to do some of those Coremax premixes. Those are some tough core workouts, and changes the core work up. Had to LOL about the purses being sold at the sporting good store. It was my own purse that was getting in the way. The shorts where on a hanger, and I couldn't figure out how to carry those, my purse and the dumbells. But I figured it out in the end. :7 Again that toddler of yours made me LOL. She reminds me of my DB's little one. They are just so dang smart sometimes that is scary! ;-)

Patricia, Ya my best thinking happens in the shower, but then as soon as I step out I forget the great idea I had. :7 :7 My DH is pretty cool with me posting.

Kim, WTG on the race time.

Have a great day!

Laurie

Good Morning Coolers

Looks like everyone is up and about today. I have my yoga class tonight to look forward to.

Hey Carol - I'm glad I finally found someone else who doesn't go all gaga for KPC. The way it is mentioned over on the other forums it sounded like a lot of fun. I only have it on VHS and just don't get all the hype for it. I'm enjoying Turbo Jam and trying to acquire some more.

Jeanette - what colour of car did you buy. Any bells & whistles? I'm really wanting a convertible VW Bug but can't quite justify it right now.;(

Debra - yah we want to know what preparations are required for JB? It doesn't include a Brazilian does it? LOL:p

Got the head honchos here today for an internal audit so better get back to work..

Wendy -- I'm honored to have a post all for me ;-) :D LOL about cramming in all the schoolwork before the evaluation. I'm so glad I don't have to count hours, or even days! LOL about the 3 english lessons, too! As for organizing, I took pictures b/c it's easier than trying to explain. I'll link so as not to hog board space.

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/...ureID=4752982582/a=2562441_2562441/t_=2562441

I don't have a "school room", but a lot of the school stuff is in the living room. We do our reading together (for history and science mainly) in the LR and the kids do seatwork in the kitchen. I have a TV table set up in the LR with the notebooks for history, science, writing, etc (pic 1) and I took one shelf of my wall unit in my LR for all the teachers' manuals, references and non-consumables (pic 2). This crate is right beside the wall unit in the LR and holds the kids' (well, DS and DD1 right now) seatwork/consumables (pic 3). The timeline and maps take up wall space in the hallway (pic 4). I keep lots of the art stuff and manipulatives/hands on extras in this beautiful secretary I inherited from my great uncle(pics 5 & 6). It's in my bedroom. It keeps things organized and out of site when we're not using them. As for previous schoolwork, I keep the portfolios on a shelf downstairs (pic 7). I also have a shelf for curriculum/consumable/books to read/etc that I'm not currently using (pic 8). It's taken years to find an organizational system that works well, but this one does. I sometimes have trouble getting rid of curriculum that I *might* use again, but I've been clearing out recently. It's been great, b/c I've also found some stuff I need used at a good price, too (got MOH 2 and Spelling Power). I do know the struggles of trying to organize. Our house is just not that big, and homeschooling takes up a lot of space, lol! Good luck getting all your stuff sorted and stored :) LOL about running around the house. I think the fence in my back yard might prevent that, though :-O I'll let you know about this weekend. MIL is coming for DD1's ballet performance on Saturday, and I'm not sure of the plans. The 2 weekends after that are out, too, since the one immediately following that is CHAP/Mother's Day and then the week after that I'll be in CA :D Anyway, I'll be sure to let you know when my MIL makes up her mind.

Carol

Hi all,

Yesterday was PLB and Strong Free and Happy. Today is a SS run and probably some core work. I think this will be a great rotation. It rotates weeks with faster rep workouts then slower rep workouts. The change should wake up the muscles nicely.

I have decided that I won't be posting as frequently. I too, have a lot on my plate and can probably use my time more wisely.

I will lurk around and once/if something starts up with STS, I may join back in. You all know, I'm more about the fitness, and less about the personal, even though I enjoy chatting with everyone.

I'm off to run. It's a beautiful sunny day here and about 60. What more could anyone ask for?

Tracy

Tracy: Sorry to hear you've got a life.;) Glad that you weren't in the part of the state that was hit by tornados. I think most if not all of us plan on doing STS once it's released. I love to go through STS with you. Take care!!!

Carol: I'm off to take a look see at your pictures. Thanks! I just got back from buying storage baskets. Yes, I'll do anything to actually organize!:D

Kim: I wanted to thank you for talking to me about nerve damage. Hopefully, it hasn't gone there. The arm pain is still noticeable since the massage. Thankfully, the back pain went away yesterday afternoon. I only feel it when I do the shoulder openers in PY4H2.

Ballistic Hugs to ALL!
Wendy

Evening Gals

Home from yoga and found both my men sound asleep in their beds. Ahhh, the whole place to myself and I love it.:p

When do you think we will hear more on STS? Its been a whole week since any blog pictures.;(

Tracey - I'm also intending to do STS. We'll have to keep our check-in name b/c I'm pretty sure there will be several others creating a check-in with STS in the name. This way we will hide from all the others....

Off to surf the net.

Debra Hope you had a great time at Jimmy Buffett tonight!

Just wanted to answer your question about what is occupational therapy (OT). This was an interesting day to ask me the difference between OTs and physiotherapists (PT) as I think 3 different physios really got me upset today. I think that leaves about another 50 in this hospital that I could try working with tomorrow ;) Makes me feel like encouraging you to try another line of work. To be honest though in the 16 years since I graduated I've heard many physios say they wished that they had taken OT if they more aware of the professions I've never heard a OT say they wish they could have been a physio. We are usually trained together and work very closely with the physio and sometimes the speech therapists. Canada has a very different assistant program than the USA though.

I think the best way to illustrate the difference is an example.
A patient with a stroke as an inpatient at a rehab facility that has lost use of one arm and one leg. The physio would be working on things like exercises, using modalities such as ultrasound, TENS, acupunture, walking, streching the tight muscles, massage, etc.

The OT would assess the patient's function. How will the patient eat, dress, cook, drive, go back to work etc. We would work on adapting or learning ways to do this skills. We would do the home visits, to adapt the home (ramps, grab bars, stair lifts). Assessment of return to work/school. OTs do all the cognitive/perceptual assessments, wheelchairs, splinting/bracing to increase function. If the patient has a new memory problem how is going to adapt at work, in the kitchen, etc.

OTs are also trained in mental health. So if you see a patient with schizophrenia or depression we would assess their functional status and possibly work on things like money managemnt skills, anger management, learning to access the community like buses, stores, etc. OTs are often working out in community settings like schools, workplaces (helping injured workers return to work) while physios are much more locked into a medical model.

The feedback I have heard over the years from physios is that they find that they work gets very repetitive. OTs have lots of variety in the work. I think that is why OTs have never been able to really market what we do because it can be quite vague. People always call us nurses or physios;) Within the same day I can make a splint or cast for someone's hand to treat carpal tunnel, assess a lady with MS for an appropriate wheelchair, do a cognitive assessment on someone developing dementia, and do a home visit to figure out how a new mom in a wheelchair will put her baby in the crib. (Okay that would be a busy day but that's the idea)

Is your program training OT assistants? Is it a combined program?

Okay I've rambled long enough. Some of those physios really got me riled today. I had to come home and do DM to destress. LOL Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.