Undulating Warriors Feb 22nd - 28th!

Starting the new thread for the week.

Ok, whose idea was it to put Meso 3, Week 3 at 90% following a rest week! :eek: It was tough, but I did it and I finally was brave and took the jump from 25 to 26 lbs for chest flys. My workout card wanted me to last time I did it and I didn’t try and stuck with 25’s. And for additional fun, we got about 7-8” of snow, so I went out and did some shoveling. Nice, heavy snow! I did part, and the neighbor came over and used his snow blower and part, so all we have left is the turnaround. If it doesn’t get canceled (school did), the boys have baseball practice tonight at 6:00. It’ll be a fun drive.

We had a crazy weekend. Two basketball games Saturday. Won the first, lost the second. Then Sunday we won our first two games and then they had to turn around and play the third game TEN minutes after the second. They were one tired group of kids, they tried hard, but they just didn’t have enough left in them to win the third one and get to the championship game. Both our losses were to the same team, too. They did end up with third place out of nine teams though, so they did well. Since we were stuck in that town an hour from home we watched some other games, too. So, basically, I sat on my butt through at least 7 games.

Janis it certainly sounds like you are recovered from wandering run if you could do all that! I’m glad you are enjoying IMAX 2. That one is funnest of the IMAX’s. My weekend was such a blur that I don’t remember what the ab moves were in the Boxing workout that I had trouble with.

Tara, Heather and MJ hope things are all going well where you are!

Hey Warriors

So I did Chest and Back this morning and the last two times that I have done Meso 3 C&B I have complained that it took so long and I did not enjoy it as much. This time I was really relaxed about the time and really enjoyed the workout! I think that the rest week really helped. I actually felt alot stronger and could do the recommended weights (even though I had given myself permission to go down in weight). Then I did Double Wave Pyramid and Bootcamp Core only. I was a sweaty mess! It felt really good... can you tell that I am still on the high!

Yesterday was a rest day and it was well needed after last week. I have no idea what I am going to do for Cardio this week but tomorrow is going to be a CC run and that is all I'll have time for.

Cathy - I'm loving this rotation!!! I don't think that we should do it this way everytime but I am really enjoyng the variety! Hope you butt gets un-numbed! I always find it so amazing how into a game I can be when my kids are playing!

Janis - Congrats on IMAX2. I really like that workout and always feel so accomplished after it's done. I haven't done Insanity for a while and am feeling a little guilty that I haven't done them. The longer I wait the more dread sets in! The bodyrock.tv workouts are nice a short so they just seem the perfect add on. I would like to try a month of Insanity and a month of just Bodyrock to see what happens... but I am not sure that I can go without Cathe that long or without weight workouts. I am thinking of hiring a personal trainer and seeing what they recommend based on the dvd's and resources that I have. Glad that you are recovered from your run!

Tara - How was your night out and weekend???

MJ - I hear the weather has finally started to warm up... Have you got any tennis in?

Talk to you all soon
Heather

Cathy -

I hope everyone is just really busy right now! No problems allowed.

I did Athletic Step this morning and then needed to do abs. But, I'd gotten very sweaty and once I was done with step started getting chilled because it was cold, so I decided to do something short. In my infinite wisdom, I decided to try the Core Only premix from Cardio Core Circuit. After all it's actually less than 7 minutes long. :D I can do the move where they go up on one knee, I just kept messing up where my feet needed to be, I can do the last one where you roll up and jump out into a push-up. But, that one where you keep your feet in butterfly position! :eek: I can sort of do it with my arms extended. Hands behind the head - forget it. I need to add this one in a couple times a week until I master it.

Heather I really like the abs in Boot Camp Core. Maybe I'll pull that one out next time. That was one tough group of workouts you did! Were you leaving puddles all over the floor!

I took the boys to baseball practice last night and while we had cleaned our drive, I discovered they hadn't plowed our road! So, 5 miles each way of our journey was a bit of an adventure. Following tracks and at times trying to figure out where the side of the road was. :D Appears they've plowed it now, so it should be a bit better heading out later this morning.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Good Morning Warriors

I am assuming that all the warriors are out fighting some battles of some sort...Cathy, how lucky yours are snow related! We got alot of snow yesterday too and but they did keep plowing our road. I got up and did CC4 and added some extra time too. It was kind of weird because my heart rate monitor numbers seemed low. So either I am getting more fit or the monitor is dying. It took the first two challenges to get my heart rate up into the top of my "orange" range. I know that I was working really hard... who knows. I am just going to run today... but it feels weird that I am not doing more. This morning I woke up and immediately felt the chest work from yesterday but not too bad. I had so much energy last yesterday I even had trouble going to sleep!

Cathy - Yesterday there was alot of sweat on the floor. This bootcamp abs always kills me! CCC abs only after AS must have been a sweatfest too though! CCC is so much cardio in the moves! Good luck with the snow today!

MJ, Tara and Janis - Hope you are winning your battles!

Cheers Heather

Hi Ladies

Yesterday ended up being a long, busy day, but I was able to do chest & back first thing in the morning. Your Monday post, Heather, I could have written - word for word - I had a great workout, felt that the break was perfect, and I was, surprisingly, able to lift heavier for pretty much each exercise. Yay! Now -warning - next week I am probably going to be whining and complaining about Meso 1 kicking my butt! lol. :D

Today I ran 4 miles, and later I did LIC, I did not do push ups, in deference to my chest doms, and I did not do abs, because... because - well just because. :eek:

Heather - I think your endurance, stamina, and conditioning has increased/improved, I sincerely doubt it's the HRM. I sort of dread the Insanity wo's too - I think it is because I don't know what to expect. Hiring a personal trainer is a great idea! Even for just a one time consultation! I, too, would like to know if I am heading in the right direction.

Cathy - Wow - you just keep getting hammered with snow. I have had my fair share of bleacher butt over the years, and jury pool butt, and car pool butt, and all forms of waiting waiting waiting butt. :eek: Way to go with CCC! Your just plowing through the stack of Shock Cardio now! Go girl go!

Tara & MJ - Hope your getting your cardio and weights in!

Tomorrow - PLYO Wednesday! Yippee.:)

Hi Warriors,

I started my workout week today instead of Monday. I had a little too much fun on Saturday night and was sluggish on Sunday. Monday began an military exercise week at work, so I'm on 12 hr shifts. I did get in Chest and Back today followed by HIS step routine. I echo Janis's and Heather's sentiment about C&B seeming to go quicker & having a workout high afterwards! I did have to lower weights for the flat bench chest fly. I did the first set at 90%; then on the second set, my right arm just couldn't get the weight up. So, I went down a bit and was able to finish the sets. All the rest of the exercises I was able to lift 90%.

Tomorrow, I'm planning squat rack legs---it'll be interesting to see how 90% weight with legs goes! :)

I'll say goodnight as I'm up late, but will look forward to seeing you all tomorrow!

Tara

Ok, I meant to ask you guys about this yesterday. I've noticed it every time I do Disk 31 and wonder about it. When going from flat bench chest presses to rows, Cathe and the gang lower their weight. I do the opposite! I use 10 lbs more for rows than chest presses. I might be able to go a little higher for chest presses, but not so much that I'm using more than for rows. And for incline chest presses, I am totally maxed out - using same weight as flat bench. So, what differences do you have in your weights for those two exercises.

Hey Again

In reference to your question Cathy - I too go heavier... the only thing is that I know that I could even go heavier but then I end up with a sore shoulder and neck so I don't go up as much. I had always thought that they went up on the rows too...I'll have to remember to check that next time.

Glad to hear that everyone had a energizing workout!

It looks like they switch from 4 large plates on each side, to 3 large plates and 1 smaller plate. I think it's Cathe and Cedie that you can see. If I remember tomorrow I'll get it back out and watch. I try not to think about how much heavier that makes their bar than mine. ;)

I watched part of disk 31 and the part I watched you can clearly see Rob and Cathe add weight for chest presses and lower them for rows. I shall have to contemplate this, as I do feel that I could go a bit higher on flat bench chest presses. After today, I definitely decided I'm going to redo my 1RM's after this time through anyway. I didn't have my tower before, so that should make a difference.

Disk 33 Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps. So, on my second set of overhead presses, I messed up and added my weighted gloves and wrist weights, but forgot to remove 5 lbs from the bar, so I used 5 lbs extra and I didn't overly struggle with it. Apparently, I've been underestimating my strength on that particular move. Going to go in and adjust my 1RM on that one now. I felt really strong today overall and really enjoyed the flow of the workout.

Tara 12 hour days have always sounded torturous to me. I can remember a few times of overtime when I worked 10 and that was really long! I hope yours fly by for you. How did squat rack legs go for you? I'm planning to do that one on Friday and it'll be the first time I've used that disk at all.

Janis I've been surprised at how much I'm enjoying Meso 3 this time around, and how much I struggle with Meso 1 following it every time. I always used to prefer Meso 1 to Meso 3. Our road was totally cleared of snow by late yesterday afternoon and now we've been having light snow and it's covered again. At least it's not supposed to be more than an inch this time!

Heather how's your chest feeling today? Mine's still sore and wasn't appreciative of the supporting role it had to play today. :D I hope your monitor really isn't really dying. That's one toy I'd like to have, but I keep buying workout equipment and DVD's instead.

MJ I hope things are going well for you. Is it warmer? My sister's in Minnesota for work and getting to experience real winter for a change.

Morning Warriors

I did Plyo legs this morning. I really enjoyed this workout and was starting to feel like I had really conqured plyo, then came the one legged squat thrusts. That is when you can really see how much weaker one leg is than the other. I could do all of them on my left leg but could only do 5 on my right. Do you think that I could add a leg day a week and just do one leg? Sounds silly but I am kindof serious.
My chest does keep reminding me that I did Meso 3 this week....I imagine when I go dig out the rink my back will remind me then too! The whole thing filled in with a foot and a half of snow! That is this afternoons job!
I have a stuffed up head so I am just going to run tomorrow... that is my plan as of right now.

Cathy - I think that you should go with what your body tells you it can do for rows and chest presses. But redoing yout 1rm might be a good idea just to be sure.

Janis - Here's to hoping that my endurance is increasing... guess that means that I should pick up the pace again! Did you get your new LIC? BTW I just ordered some Athleta clothes (from one of the last clothing posts) as my parents are in Florida and I can get them shipped to them. I am crossing my fingers that they fit! I might be a good thing that there is not a store in Canada!
MJ - Hope your week is going well!

Tara - How was your girls night out? I am hoping that the fact that you were sluggish on the Sunday meant it was a good time! Hope you can still fit in your workouts with the 12 hour shifts!

Talk to you soon
Heather

Hi Warriors

Once again, I could have written Heather's post. I was having a great time with Plyo and feeling how much stronger and fit I am this year than when I attempted plyo for the very first time last year, then - BAM - the one legged squat thrusts. It's my right leg too! I have been examining it for the last 10 minutes wondering why my right leg is weaker than my left and had decided I would HAVE to add one legged squat thrusts to my twice-weekly leg workouts!

Very funny Heather, I'd like to see a one-legged workout! I think shoveling 1.5 feet of snow off of the rink counts as two workouts, with plyo this morning, I think that's plenty! What did you order from Athleta? I have two pairs of their Ultra Performance Running Pants and love them, I also have a fleece, high tech pant, I think that's what they call them. Cozy.

Cathy - I lift heavier for rows and one arm rows than chest. You should absolutely increase your weight. Lately, during the workouts, I am noticing Cathe saying - "Work to failure each and every time. If you aren't challenging yourself you won't get results." Funny how I hear "new" things each time I do a workout. Way to go with the over head shoulder presses. It seems like our week off, or the undulating rotation as a whole, has given us endurance and strength gains. Yay us!:)

Tara- 12 hour shifts - brutal. Well, as mothers we have done 24 hr shifts - so at least you do get a break, albeit a short one. All of your hard work, with cardio and weights, will give you the stamina to get through! Besides you're a warrior!

MJ - MIA... I hope it is just work, and nothing interfering with your happiness or your workouts. :)

I was going to do SC-kickbox today, after plyo, but I think I am done for the day. :D

ETA: Yes, I received my replacement disc for LIC. Customer service was very fast, friendly, and helpful. :)

Tomorrow - a run in the morning and something fun in the afternoon, don't know what yet.

Last edited:
Today I decided to try out MMA Fusion for the first time. I enjoyed it, but I have rather mixed feelings about it. I LOVED the core conditioning drills in this one. Probably because they are different AND I could do them. :D A couple parts of the combos will take me another time to really get the flow of them down. My biggest issue is the length of the actual cardio part of the workout. It just seems like so many of these types of workouts are very low in actual minutes of cardio. I see this as getting more use on days when it's a second cardio workout. But, I can also see me using just the core conditioning drills by themselves a lot. I'm not going to try adding in second cardio workouts this rotation. I'm just going to keep working on getting my endurance and leg back to full power and then next rotation I'll do that. I pretty much see all the MMA's as falling into the role of second cardios.

Heather, Janis is right that shoveling that much snow counts as multiple workouts. :D Makes my shoveling of a couple inches yesterday seem rather insignificant.

It's been a long time since I've done those one legged squat thrusts, and I'm in no hurry to do them again. That's one move that makes me very glad no one is watching me. ;) Let's see what could you put in your one-legged workout. One legged deadlifts......one legged squats w/barbell....

Well I have to go....Derek is wanting to use the computer to write stories and far be it for me to stop the child from doing something where he will willing practice his spelling/reading skills.

Hey Everyone

It is snowing again!!! I am never going to get to the bottom of the rink! Last night I went out and shovelled and the boys played on the ever increasing ice area but I still could not finish! Crazy... I was going to add shovel max to my workout schedule but alas it is not listed!

This morning I had a great run with CC6. I am so glad that I tried these workouts! I can't imagine life without them!!!

Cathy - I know what you mean about the MMA workouts. If I add them on after another workout they seem just right but on their own it just isn't enough. Or maybe we are just conditioned to think so but the intensity is not there for that short a workout. I totally agree that the core workouts are very fun though!

Janis - I went for the albion pants and dipper pants and on the of the dresses that you can wear with tights (I am not much of a dress person). Everything was on sale. I usually get my running stuff at Costco just because it is so cheap. The workout stuff looked really cool though!
So the one legged workout! I am seriously going to work on it and add it in. I always new one was weaker... it seems to have so far to go to catch up with the other!

Tara and MJ - Hope your surviving!
Talk to you all soon!
Heather

Hi Ladies

I ran this morning, out at the vineyard, to CC7. I was looking for #6 on my ipod, couldn't find it, so went with 7. Ironically, the timing was almost perfect for the hills and valleys and flat lands of the vineyard.

Heather - Do you have the CC "Press Play" workout? I love running to that one, even when it's not a 'press play' Saturday. It really puts life into perspective. Gosh - I never even thought to look at Costco's fitness apparel! Thanks for the idea. I am going to check it out the next time I'm there. I have a hard time finding regular pants that fit, I'm going to look at Athleta today for everyday wear. I was thinking the one legged sit and stands would be good for a one legged workouts and in LIC there is a one legged exercise - I'll have to look at the name - that makes me wobble and quiver, which would be good to add too. OH! How about the wall-squats with right leg extension! killer.

Cathy- While I agree, in principle, that the MMA's aren't cardio challenging on their own, I do think it all depends upon what I put into them. They can be much more vigorous if I put dynamic effort into it. I do like, though, that they can be added to a weights day, or to cap off a running day, for that, I am thankful to have them in my arsenal. :)

Alrighty then, time for some food and a shower. :D

Last edited:
Hello All,

This week is proving to be an every other day workout week! I did Squat Rack legs and about 3/4th of Athletic Step. I'm thankful that I did AS first. My legs were screaming mercy by the time I got to the static lunges in the leg routine. :) I was able to lift 90% for all the exercises and that felt good!

One more day of 12 hr shifts! They haven't been too bad, but I'm glad the weekend is almost here. I'll probably will rest tomorrow and then do Shoulders, bi's & tri's on Saturday.

Heather, I had a great time last weekend with my friends. We all brought recipes for our favorite mixed drink. I actually brought 2 recipes--1 for a chocolate martini and another for a drink called "Death by Chocolate". It definitely was not a night for clean eating! ;) But it was fun and a rare indulgence for me. Hope the snow you're getting doesn't last too long!

Cathy, I have enjoyed doing the Squat rack leg routine. It goes slowly as there is almost 3 minutes of rest between each set. But I find that I have really need to use that time to stretch my legs out--they begin feeling achy pretty quickly. Also, I gulp down the water. So, the long breaks are useful. I feel that I am seeing more results with the Squat legs than I did with the plyo legs, but the plyo leg routine is definitely more fun & goes quicker.
BTW, did you get your replacement step? Is it better than the first one was?

Janis, thanks for the encouragement to push through this week and workout! Your posts always bring a smile as well as motivate me. :) Glad you have been continuing the scenic runs despite your adventure last week! ;)

MJ, Hope all is well; look forward to hearing from you hopefully soon!

See you all probably on Saturday!

Tara

Ok, my shoulders are fine, but my triceps are sooooooooo sore! I have to print out my workout card for Squat Rack in the morning. Not sure what I'm going to do for deadlifts. I can't do a real 90% because it's too much for my lower back, so i'll have to just pick a weight to try and see how it goes.

In the realm of things that are simply wrong, I came through town tonight and the Dairy Queen is open! For the third night this week, I've driven five miles on our road with variations of snow depths, blowing/drifting snow and blizzard like conditions....and the DAIRY QUEEN is open!

Tara glad your 12 hr days are almost over! Have fun with that workout tomorrow! Yes, I got the replacement step. It's better than the first, but I can still tell that one end have the same issue. When I sent back the other one, I put tape on the weak spots and included a note, so I'm hoping they check it out.

Janis sounds like a lovely run that you had. Should things there start getting green soon?

Heather doesn't it seem like the snow is never going to stop! We're supposed to get another couple inches tomorrow. I, thankfully, have nowhere to go!!! A whole day at home. First one since last Friday. I have to finish up our taxes and catch up on my volunteer work.

Disk 39 Squat Rack Legs done. I ended up upping my weights for everything and later went back in and changed all my 1RM's. I did do lots of extra stretching during the breaks and I can deal with sometimes using that method to workout, but definitely not a lot.

I took the padded bar off my tower and was able to put my barbell on the top slot. It was about 1 1/2" below my shoulders, so I only had to dip slightly to get it on and off and it allowed me to go heavier than I could have otherwise.

Apparently, I'll be doing Shovel Max later. Heather, I do feel that they should add shoveling to the Workout Manager's selections. ;) Though thankfully we are not getting a bunch of snow. But, since we didn't shovel the last couple inches the other day, if we get a couple today and don't shovel it'll get messy. I have no place to go today!!! But, I have plenty to do, so I have to make myself stay off line throughout the day, so that it actually does get done.

Have a great day Warriors!!!

I also

Hey All

I did Shoulders, Bi's and Tri's today. I really wanted to try and fit my whole workout in this morning before the kids got up so I tried to add cardio to the rotation. I did jump rope and skaters etc whenever I had a 30 sec break and I think it worked out well. Not ideal but something anyways. The people that used to live at our house ran a gym out of the basement and they left one of those slider things. I finally got some shoe covers and tried that after the workout. I did a Hiit workout on that plus more skipping etc. The funny thing was after all that rushing and trying to fit it all in, scambling to get lunches made and kids ready - they cancelled the buses. We found out after we had been standing outside for a while :eek:. Oh well.

I actually could add weight to the triceps at the end which was shocking! I think the week off really did do some muscle growth!

Cathy - We have the buses cancelled but there winds are up but no snow now. Unless something big is coming the kids got a long weekend for no good reason...they are happy!

Janis - I have not purchased the press play CC... Where do you find it? I have heard of it but was not sure where to download it. The Costco Tuff line holds up really well. I have pants that I have run in from at least 4 years ago!

Tara - Glad you had a good night out. I love girls night out... I need to arrange for another one soon! Squat Rack Legs and AS on the same day. You are a brave lady!

MJ - Hope you made it through the week... and that we hear from you on the weekend!

Cheers
Heather

Happy Friday Warriors!

It is blowing hard and raining in torrents. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't lose power!:eek:

I did Athletic Step this morning, still struggling with my coordination on that one. After I had a bite to eat I did Shoulders, Bi's & Tri's. I am lifting heavier on this one too. Simply amazing. I wonder what it will be like 3 weeks from now!?

Tara - Way to go! Standing ovation for getting your squat rack leg work in! Your chocolate drinks sounds evil and divine! lol. :D You definitely deserve a chocolate martini after your 12hr shift/drills this week.

Heather - The Press Play workout is at:
http://www.jimmaclaren.com/ it is a compendium of workouts CC 1-7 with add'l motivational messages, stories, inspiring reminders and new music. The first time I ran to it, when we got to the cool down Sean says "....and to Jim McClaren in San Diego, California..." I burst out crying. No workout has ever made me cry!

Cathy - I use my tower as a squat rack too. Hey, maybe you should contact SNM about adding Shovel Max to the workout manager. Speaking of Dairy Queen, I always resent the stores that put out bikini beach wear in February! It is green here, unless we have snow or ice, everything bounces back to green as soon as it warms up even a little bit. Yesterday there were crews working the vines, growing season is right around the corner. Have you noticed the days are getting longer! Yay!

MJ - I am missing you! Please pop in, when you have a moment, and let us know you are well.:)

Tomorrow - squat rack legs and either a tempo run or Hiit...haven't decided which yet.

Like always, I'm off to eat and shower.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.