Trying to Fit Yoga In for Sat Jan 19

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

This morning I slept in until 4:00 am!! and I only did a recovery workout. I did Cardio Lite by the Firm which states it is a mixture of yoga, pilates and lite cardio......but it ended up being just like any other Firm workout....but you use really light weights. I was disappointed with it and it was not what I expected. The cardio was super low impact and my HR only got to 118....and they used 3 & 5 pound weights and she mentions it is recovery workout meant to lengthen and stretch....but I didn't feel either of those things! All in all, workout was 46" and I burned 260 calories.

I then did Elements Yoga for Beginners with Elena Brewer ..an Anusara practice 45". I liked this a bit more than the last time I did it. It's not particulary easy. Lots of standing poses and lunge poses.....so you have to want to put a bit of effort into your practice when you do it. Of late, I've been reaching for a lot more of the restorative types of practices.

I think I need to break out my Namaste sessions for a change too. I enjoy those and they are easy to add on at 20 minutes a pop.

Who just purchased these Namaste? I can't remember from reading the post. Just curious what Season you ended up buying? I have both, but I've only done a couple off of the newer one so far. I have to start getting back into Classical Stretch also. Not enough time in the day for everything now that I'm back to work full time.

Jill - I can totally relate to sinus issues. I have SEVERE sinus problems. I have pansinusitis...which means every sinus cavity in my head is full of gunk and infected. I also have nasal polyps up into my sinuses and down my throat. I have one polyp that blocks my olfactory nerve so I can't smell a lot of the time. I need surgery, but the surgery they need to do is so invasive as it requires extensive tissue removal and if not done precisely, I can end up with worse problems than what i have now and there is only a 50% chance that the polyps won't come back because polyps are common in people with asthma. Because of the odds of surgery and the fact that it takes me so long to heal ....and I can't stand to have my nose packed....I've opted for medical care and am refusing surgery. My current ENT still says I will need surgery in the future......but I don't think so! I have to go into see him every 3 months and get assessed and I take mega doses of prednisone and antibiotics a few times a year when it gets so severe and I can't smell for several months. I so love my sense of smell since I suffer from depression and part of my therapy for depression is aromatherapy! Anyway, I can relate. My nose has been pouring the last few days, but at least I can smell....so I'm not gonna complain! I've been fighing off a cold for a while now. I've been taking those Zinc lozengers.

Have great workouts or rest days ladies.

Off to eat breakfast, get my bath and we're going to the Dollar Theatre to see Lions for Lambs later.

Hi ladies! The weather has been crazy here this morning-mix of sleet, rain, and snow. I was supposed to go in to work today, but DH and I decided to stay home and go tomorrow. We were also going to go downtown and eat at a nice seafood restaurant we had a giftcard for, but we'll put that off until next weekend. He just made a grocery store run so that we can just stay in and chill the rest of the day. We're going to watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I also got in two more Tae Bo videos from Netflix as well as a CIA workout called Double Cardio, which has a step and a BOSU workout. I will be previewing those today.

Lora-I will be interested to hear about Lions for Lambs. Let me know if it's a good rental. I hope you keep fighting off that cold! If it's the same as what's been going around, it's miserable! I am still coughing. Do you have any of the Firm Transfirmer series DVDs? Seems like they get good reviews.

Have a great day everyone! I will BBL to report my WO. It's likely lower body or total body today.

Lora, it was me that just purchased the Namaste workouts...I was able to see a clip on YouTube and liked what I saw so I figured that while I had a little bit of extra spending money that I would buy both seasons :)

Yikes, that sounds like a lot to deal with regarding your sinuses! I feel like I'm on the verge of being able to develop a sinus infection and (especially since we don't have insurance) I am going to try to ward it off by using my neti pot nightly for a few nights. It's kind of weird, but helpful. A friend of mine who is into holistic health care told me about it and I think it took me several months before I broke down and bought one...I just couldn't get past pouring water into my nose but it seriously does help it feel better sometimes.

Good afternoon, ladies!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend... Yesterday DH had a nice dinner for an engineering convention downtown that I was able to attend with him-- I ate way too much good cheese (the Brie!) and enjoyed every minute of it... :7 Today I've been in recovery mode-- DH can be a major snorer, and last night was not good. I was hit & miss on sleep all night. I think we're going to try a sleep clinic, bc nothing else (nose strips, spray, etc) has worked. I was going to go 45 min on the bike today, but no dice. I decided just to get some rest and pick it up again on Monday.

I did get a good workout in on Friday, though~ went 2.3 mi for a run, and 1750 meters in the pool. Was going to try and get some yoga in before the sitter came, but ran out of time... :-( I'm really excited about my new toy, too-- just got an underwater mp3 player. Can't tell you how much I would have loved this when I swam competitively when I was younger!!! I am such a music junkie. Anyway, I thought it would help keep me going better now that I'm training regularly again.

Lora - So sorry to hear about all the work stress and exhaustion. I don't know how you do it... esp. the work situation, it sounds almost toxic the way they've been treating you. I agree with everything Jill & Yve have said, but I also know how difficult changes to your routine can be when you thrive on it. Prayers are still with you! :)

Kel - Thanks for all the moral support with the tri! It really means a lot. Seriously, I see the training logs of all these other fledgling triathletes and think there is no way I can keep up. But, I guess I didn't start out on this trying to do anything other than cross that finish line, so I shouldn't compare. It's just easy to get intimidated, I suppose. I would really like to get better at meditation, my mind is so chaotic sometimes I think it would be good for me. After reading Eat,Pray,Love last year I really wanted to start. Finding time to practice is just hard sometimes-- I keep thinking though that I should just wake up 10 minutes earlier before the kids...

Jill - You're right, I am in Utah. I'm a Chicago native, but have really grown to love it here. I guess either way I'm "used" to cold winters. I'm sorry that you haven't been feeling well, I hope you feel better soon!

Yve & Jen - I'm sorry for the stress & anxiety you have been feeling. We struggled for a long time with fertility medication, etc for DS... but I know that probably doesn't hold a candle to what you have been feeling, Jen. And I know how anxiety-ridden that prenatal time can be, Yve. It's such a strange combination of being in control, and yet so helpless at the same time. My thoughts and prayers are with you both, truly.

Well, now that I have written a novel, I should get going... DH & I have big plans for Harry Potter 5 tonight as well! (lol about that, Jen.)

Hi to Carrie & have a wonderful evening, everyone!!!

Jill-I have heard more and more about Neti pots lately and have considered buying one. Is it really difficult to use? It seems like it would be uncomfortable, like getting water up your nose when you're not ready for it. I hear that once you get used to one, they work so well that you can't live without them! It sounds like a miracle product that actually works.

Brighton-That is LOL about HP and the Order of the Phoenix. We just got done watching it and it was FANTASTIC! It also was my second favorite of the book series....my favorite is the last book...so bittersweet. I used to swim competitively in my younger years also, mostly for my neighborhood team but I also swam some in middle school and in high school. That is really cool about your player for underwater-it must really take your workouts to another level and also make them much more enjoyable! :)

No workout for me yet, but I tend to workout very late on the weekends....so I might still get one in after my dinner settles.

Have a great night everyone!

Jen, the first time I used it, it was kind of a weird sensation. But it's actually really easy to use. I make my own saline solution (am experimenting with 'recipes' I found online to find the one that works the best...they're all pretty similar, though) and you just have to make sure you breathe through your mouth.

A woman I know from another forum used to have to take antibiotics pretty regularly for sinus infections due to her severe allergies. She said that once she started using a neti pot regularly she hasn't had a sinus infection in over 4 years!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.