Trying to Fit Yoga In for Monday Nov 27

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

This morning I did Butts & Guts warm up, Standing, Ab work and stretch. I'm not feeling so well this morning. My pain is flaring in my sciatic region, back, neck and shoulders. I had a hard time getting thru the workout. Last time I did it, it was relatively easy for me....not this time. I'm not sure how much I burned....I think it was around 330 calories.

I think I'm a bit sore from doing that yoga 2 days in a row also, as I'm feeling sort of sore all over or achy or something. Not really sure. I'm on an antibiotic for a sinus infection - so I don't know if this has something to do with it. I also don't have an appetite today and that NEVER happens to me. I'm still eating breakfast though.

August - Yes, I agree that Rainbeau's 30" min DVDs are good for when your short on time and good for beginners. I'm at an intermediate level for some poses, but because of my injury, I'll probably always be at beginner level for other poses. I haven't done Pure Sweat in a while. I always reach for Dawn and Dusk.

Jen - I did the Hardcore FatLoss rotation when the series first came out and had good results from it (lost a few pounds). I sort of burned out on Cathe rotations though. I haven't done Pure Sweat in a long time. I didn't remember it was voice over. I can't remember the music either. You sound like you're more picky than me with workouts. I usually grab Dusk or Dawn with Rainbeau and she does not do voice over in those and I love her personality. I also love the music in those two but it's Jai Utal and Ben Leinbach and I think I remember you saying you didn't like Jai's music. I like it so much that I bought the soundtrack from the DVDs. Let me know what you think of Trance Dance. I have it cuz I love Shiva...but I've only done it a few (or more) times. I've always done it when my DH was in bed so he can't make fun of me (LOL). It's sort of hard to follow. You'll see what I mean when you try it. Especially the part for freeing the hips. She was all over the place and I was staring at the TV....what?? I really like Dancin' the Chakras (Ravi & Ana) much better than Trance Dance.

Yve - that technique sounds like something that would be good for me with my cervical/lumbar/sciatic issues. I looked at Yoga DVDs on Amazon and don't really see anything I want. I'll have to look at Fitness Organica later in the week. I was looking at the Adrienne Reed DVDs but it says they're really advanced and they don't show modifications...so, not sure about that. I also read that Amanda McMaine has a 2 DVD set that is not on her website yet and they sound interesting. I don't know if I'll buy yet, I still haven't done my Namaste Yoga set and a couple other new ones. I say go for the Pole Dancing class. Don't laugh....but that's something I always wanted to learn.......but I have no idea why??

Have a great day ladies. If I don't check in tomorrow it's cuz I went to the concert tonight and won't have time to check in in the AM before work.

Yve -

Morning, Lora,

>She was all over the place and I was staring at the TV....what??

Haha, so I guess she successfully put you in a dance trance! ;)

It sounds like you're on the verge of coming down with the flu or something what with what you're feeling and stuff. You should just take it easy on yourself and drink lots of fluids. I hope you feel better soon. I'm on a small ginger kick. Have some ginger and heat up your insides, young woman!

I'm looking forward to getting the Dawn/Dusk series, too. I wish there was a Japanese version of it so that I could get it for my friend because he seems to like the 4-DVD set, too, and he's a beginner with exercise in general so an hour of yoga seems like an eternity to him LOL.

I got inspired and bought a bunch of Yogi Herbal Tea. Some of them taste like perfume. :eek:

But there's one called Lemon Ginger or something and is supposed to be good for digestion that is really tasty and I like quite a bit. The one I couldn't drink at all was the Classic India Spice. You guys have any favorites?

August- I never really venture out into flavored teas. Just the regular stuff. I should though, broaden my horizons! I am glad you are enjoying the Rainbeau series. Makes me want it more!

Lora- hope you do feel better and that you aren't getting sick. So why don't you try some of Carmen Electra's DVDs?? I thought about it once lol! Probably alot of fun.

YVe- BBL means be back later:)

I have to take my boys to the dentist today. Oh boy.

I see I never posted my WO yesterday! I did HSTA and some extra ab work from Slim in 6pack.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Hi All! Tonight's WO was Sara Ivanhoe's 20 min makeover-Abs and MTV Power Yoga.

MTV Power Yoga was pretty good. I absolutely loved the music-it had kinda' a groovy lounge/jazz/ambient chill feeling to it. The workout moves exceptionally fast-really faster than I enjoy-and that took away some of the "relax and unwind" feeling. I also fussed about this before, but the relaxation is about 30 seconds-blink and you miss it-I can't stand that. x( The production was top quality and the scenery was very nice-it was filmed on the terrace of a Hilton hotel in Phoenix, AZ. The whole terrace is surrounded in flowers-beautiful! This workout is tough-I would consider some of it to be advanced even though there is a "beginner" demonstration-for example, even the "beginner" goes up into wheel pose. There are three students including the instructor, each demonstrating a beginner, imtermediate, and advanced level of the poses. Bottom line: I liked the music and the production quality enough to enjoy the workout; however, this will continue to be a rental for me.

Lora-Hope you are feeling better and get to go to the concert! Your discussion of Yoga Trance Dance cracked me up! I will probably do the DVD in the dark! Regarding Rainbeau's Dawn/Dusk, can you tell me what makes it different from the Pure Yoga series? I do like some of Jai's music-there were just a few tracks on his CDs I thought were out there.

August-So how are you feeding your ginger kick? Is it mostly teas or are you eating slices of the actual root? My favorite tea is Spearmint tea from the bulk bins at the health food store. I haven't had any in quite awhile since Whole Foods doesn't have the bulk bins like the mom & pop health food stores do. The bulk tea is somehow different and much better than what is in the prepackaged stuff, but in a pinch..you have to do what you have to do! I also like Tazo teas-just about any of them, but particularly the Chai. I make it with milk and it is to die for! Of the more mainstream teas, I like Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime tea for bedtime-I make that one with milk too! :9

Megadoo-Oh no..boys going to the dentist! How did it go? I hate going to the dentist, but going yourself must seem like a walk in the park compared to taking the kids! How do you like Slim in 6? What are the workouts like?

Yve-"unless of course I have a couple of glasses of wine & one of my other personalities pounce on SO"---:+:+:+:+:+ too funny! Oh, go on and pole dance! I heard the classes are really fun! I thought about going to the Art of Exotic Dancing classes when they came to town but never got up the nerve. Go....then you can come back and tell me that there's nothing to be afraid of! :) By the way, what was the shoulder work like in your Pilates class? Was it mostly arm circles or do they do something different?

Jen

Hi ladies,

Tonight I did gentle hatha class. It was a nice class - we did do some standing balance work - and the regular sun salutes, warriors, and triangle poses - but also some nice deep stretches and lots of breath work. It was quite relaxing.

Lora - I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope you feel better soon. I haven't ever heard of the instructors you mentioned - Are they well known in the yoga dvd world? Also - have you ever done anything by David Swenson? I saw his ad in a yoga magazine and wondered if he is good.

August - I love teas also. I recently tried Chai White Tea. It is really a nice tea..very delicate, and soothing. In fact, I think it is a YogiTea. I like Chai, Earl Grey and Lady Grey the best. As far as brands, I like the Tazo brand, and also the Sir Thomas Lipton brands. Sometimes I buy chammomile flowers and dried sage and boil them together for a nice homemade herbal tea. The lemon ginger sounds nice also. I will have to look for it.

Megadoo, I hope the boys dentist visit went well.

Jen - The Yoga dvd set in Arizona sounds amazing...Ok - you have convinced me.. I agree to try the class. ( I just hope that nobody I know will be there :eek: ) The pilates work involved additional stretches to arm circles. As we are laying on our backs, our arms are up in the air, and we take turns raising each shoulder blade up. (about 8 times) Then, we leave one up in the air, and with the other we stretch across the chest so as to be pointing to the corner of the room. Then alternate. (8X) Then - we put our fingertips together, like we are holding a ball, and move hands to the left and right across the chest - so as to be in the same 45 degree angle as the previous move. Then while we are moving the arms left and right (still pretending we are holding a ball) - we move our knees in the opposite directions. Lastly, while moving the arms and knees as described in the previous move, we begin to move our heads the direction of the knees. So it is a three way twist. We also did a different move - where we are on hands and knees - and with our right hand we reach up high over our heads and then bend and sweep the arm down through the other arm and reach for the left hip. We do that about 8 times on each side.

BTW - I have made this recipe for chai tea at home and just loved it. Brew the black tea very strong. In a saucepan bring to simmer some milk, with orange rind, cinnamon sticks, cloves, cardomom and nutmeg. Let simmer for about 10 minutes until it gets hot, and strain. Pour the milk mixture over the black tea - and enjoy. It is lovely - especially if you add some honey.

Have a nice night everyone.
Yve

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.