Trying to Fit Yoga In - Friday Nov 10

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

This morning I did Butts & Gutts - Standing Glutes & Abs Premix (54"). I stopped right before the ab segment started and did a couple more sets of Firewalkers (cuz I loved those things) and then I did just part of the floor leg segment. This took about 1 hour and 5 minutes. Then I did a short 10 minute blast of aerobics (from Jari Love's Ripped 1000), cooled down on my own and then did the stretch segment of Butts & Guts (1 hour and 20 minutes). I burned a total of 400 calories from warm up to cool down.

I didn't think this premix was particularly difficult. We only did squats with weight and lunges with weight and the rest of the exercises did not use weight. I didn't even find the ab portion that difficult. I need to add weight next time. Only part that was difficult is that I kept sliding down when I was trying to do those leaning on the ball obliques holding the resistance band. I'll have to try using more weight next time. I usually gauge how much to lift from Cathe, but she doesn't seem to be lifting her usual amounts this series (did she do that for the beginner/intermediate people??).

I was able to fit in some yoga last night as well. I did Yoga Beauty Body (Ravi & Ana - Kundalini) - about 40 minutes. I did this one cuz I thought I'd not done it yet, but after I started doing it, I realized I had done it before. Let's see - we did stuff for the thyroid, digestive system, to bring radiance to our skin, for the liver, etc. We held bow pose with breath of fire and did breath of fire in several other poses. We did "rag doll" which I tend to like. It's just like doing a hamstring stretch and switching legs while breathing. We did breath of fire while standing in a low squat with our hands around our ankles (this was probably the most difficult pose).

Yvanna - where did you purchase your Sean Corn DVD? I've never seen anything by her. What type of yoga is it? Vinyasa flow?

August - have you rec'd your new Cathe's yet? Have they shipped yet?

Jen - I only did parts of Body Max once or twice and I was sort of confused. I'm not really good at getting complex coreography right away. It takes me a while. I've done Low Impact Circuit a couple of times and the 2nd and 3rd time, I got better, but there are parts that still throw me. I agree that the best way to learn is just practice, practice, practice. I think some of the easier Cathe stuff will help you learn her style, but it's really not going to help you master the steps in Imax 3 right away.....as I think you just need to work at those kinds of workouts. I usually work on my step workouts on my rest day for just a bit of light cardio (active recovery) and then once I start learning them and getting better, I can use them for a regular workout - or usually I just go for it and if I can't follow I do my own version of the steps to keep my HR up and then eventually I either catch on on I do my own version forever? I'm by no means one to be perfect about always being on the correct foot, facing the right direction, etc. I just have fun!!

I'll be back later from work. My boss is off today so I should be able to pop in later.

Have a great day everyone.

Morning, Lora,

Sounds like you had a great workout, as well as a nice yoga session last night. I did my TLT Endurance of Motion today but haven't made time to do a yoga stretch yet.

Do you mean my Kundalini? I did get a bunch of new Cathe a couple months ago, and I have those guys. My Kundalini are now on their way from the States so it will take a while...but I did find Total Yoga 4-Pack, Bryan Kest Power Yoga Series, and Crunch The Perfect Yoga Workout in Japan, and they are on their ways. I can't wait! I got a message saying that Total Yoga and Bryan are on their way. :D :D :D

Morning, all! I am a bit depressed this morning. Got on the scale and it has not moved in two months and actually now I have been at the same weight for four months. I am lucky enough to have a nutritionist in the office next to me, so she does that really fun fat pinching test and calculates my body fat percentage once a month. I'll let you know how it comes out. I have been losing inches and my body looks different, and my clothes fit different, but my weight just won't budge at all. I guess I could be building muscle at the same rate I am losing fat. She is baffled. We talk about my eating just about every day and she eats lunch with me (we are friends outside of work, too) so I know I am eating really good, too. WTH!?! I am really worried about getting pregnant at the weight I am now. Assuming I get pregnant and gain the typical 30 pounds, a pregnancy would put me over 200 pounds for sure-which I have the biggest fear that that is a point of no return for my body. It's like my nightmare magic number. Sorry to be such a downer on a Friday! I promise I will have my act together by my evening post!

Good day and good workout to you all! I am thinking of calling it an off day today-time for a little reflection or better yet, an attitude adjustment!

Jen

Jen - I'm sorry the scale isn't budging. I've been stuck also. I lost 1 pound over the last couple weeks and I was even excited about 1 lousy pound! Hang in there. I don't really have any good advice...cuz I'm sort of stuck in the same boat.

August - I mean -- did you get the new Cathe series yet? or have you not even ordered them?

Jen, when I had COnnor, I gained ALOT! 2 months after his burth I weighed 203! And now, I weigh 145. I could have lost it faster but I didn't get real serious with my fitness till he was a bout 1 or so. It is possible, TRUST me. And if and when you get pregnant, keep up with your fitness, even if it is just 30 min walks a day. It makes a difference. And don't worry about it, you will be so darn excited about the baby and the changes in your body, you won't worry. YOu are already on a great fitness track, (I wasn't, at ALL), so I am sure you will bounce right back!

August- I am getting some Kundalini's from Lora, so I guess we will embark on that adventure together LOL!!

Lora- Great cal burn today! I wound up with a rest day yesterday. My legs were shot. Anyway, on your rest days, are you for sure going to do yoga, or nithing at all?

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Megadoo - I will always do a stretch, restorative yoga, power yoga or Kundalini yoga depending on how I feel that day....but I need to AT LEAST stretch good on my rest day. I may even start doing some pilates on my rest day.

Hi - can I join in on this thread today? Great idea to have one! Inspired by you all I am going to try to fit in at least some yoga each day. Baron Baptise says better you do five minutes a day every day thean 1 hour once a week. My back will be so happy. Did my full 1 hour routine Monday at the gym (I have a few yoga routines memorized) at the gym. Rest of the week I have worked out but only managed a bit o' yoga. Very hard work week. So will go to class tonight. Then Saturday do some hip yoga - as in stretching my hips, not like "groovy" hip :) Sunday will do All the Right Moves - which I actually like surprisingly. A yoga/pilates type hybrid. I am a Kest/Baptiste/ashtanga gal so this is surprising.

Has anyone here done Eion Finn Power Yoga for Happiness? It is on its way - looking forward to it. I gave Shiva Rea away. And do not get me started on Mark Blanchard. Anyone who says, "Sweeeet" while I am doing a pose is not my kind of yogini. ebay'd that one.

Jen sorry you are upset about the weight. May I suggest you stop weighing yourself for awhile? That fixation with the scale can be such a downer and if you are trying to get pregnant, you need good karma. Soon you will be looking at that scale saying, "I need to gain more weight for this baby!". BTW keep up with the yoga (minus inversions) while pregnant. I did and I snapped back quick, had pretty easy labors both times. Plus did moderate/light weights and cardio and tapered over time. Maybe - time to get a little woo woo here - it is the universe delivering you a message to accept your body and your weight in anticipation of your pregnancy. Then again, maybe your scale is broken and I am just nutty today. Hang in there!

OK gals. Namaste.

Julie

Jen - Oh, just throw that evil scale out the door! I never owned a scale until about a year ago when I got interested in making a change in my body fat, and then that dang scale would always mess me up. I'd be feeling really great and then I'd do my weekly weigh-in and it was like WTH? Why not just rely on your friend and the body fat measurements? How nice that must be to have a friend be your nutritionalist. I wish I had one! Anyway, hope your day is going better by now.

Lora - Oh, I see, no I didn't order the new Cathe workouts. As I mentioned, I ordered a bunch of Cathe workouts that I didn't have just a few months ago, and figured those would keep me very busy.

Megadoo - Yay! I'm glad you'll also be starting the Kundalini. I hope mine will come soon so that we can be starting around the same time. Well, if you start first (which is likely, as it's going to take a while for them to arrive to me over here), give me some pointers on which ones to start with!

Julie - Welcome! Nice to meet you. I cracked up at your comment about that guy saying "sweeeeet" during a pose. That would drive me nuts, too. Why did you give your Shiva Rea away? It's on my wish list, so if I need to know anything annoying, please have it out! LOL.

All right, I'm off to bed now. I was able to do a sun salute this evening before I had to go out for some work, and it felt good even though it was short.

G'night!

Julie - I didn't see your post earlier. Welcome. We just started this thread last week.

I love LOVE Eion Finn and Power Yoga for Happiness - especially the Magically Hips premix....but if SWEET makes you sick, you may not like Eion. He says some pretty off the wall things....but I've always like weird/different people...so I think that makes me like him more. He says stuff like "now taste the cherry nectar" in that hip when your deep in a pigeon variation pose or he'll say this should rate on the "goodometer", etc. I don't really have a problem with Mark Blanchard either -- except that sometimes he doesn't cue well when you're upside down and you need to glance at the screen to see what he's doing. I also don't like Eion's music.....but I love the music on Yoga Shakti...so I just purchased it so I can listen to it with other DVDs.

Why did you not like Shiva? She is also one of my favorites, as well as Rainbeau Mars. Was she too "new agey" for you?? I guess that's what makes us all different. I have a lot of Baron's also, but he doesn't tend to do a lot of twisting, forward bending and hip openers and I'm absolutely addicted to those things...so I reach for those practices more than my other ones. I own quite a few.

I'll be intersted to see what you think of Eion (*although I'm afraid now*).

I did some work in the barn this morning, and housework, then I just finished WO.
HSTA cardio and UB premix
IMAX 3 step portion premix
AbRx (which felt very intense this time)
10 min yoga bonus WO from Rainbeau's Dusk DVD. I felt like doing more, but I had to get in the shower and EAT!! I was starving!!

Hi Julie! Nice to meet you too.

Lora- I figured you would do atleast something LOL! I should do yoga on my rest days, but I didn't do squat yesterday.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Lora hi. Let me confess: I did not give Shiva Rea a chance. The DVD itself with all its programs intimidated me. I tried one of her practices and felt she moved too too fast. Count me in as a twists and hips gal. Oh my is pigeon pose the most grand? I think I can taste the cherry nectar when in it!

When Baron Baptiste came to NYC a few years ago I took a class with him (and like 200 other people). He was terrific and so tough! He twisted, he one handed down dogged, he held plank for hours. Oh my! And we all loved it and laughed and felt incredible after. Now if I could get my dear Bryan Kest here, with his long hair of course. I miss it!

I have some great studios near by - it's just tough finding the time to go. Kids weekend soccer games has taken me away from classes and back to a home based practice.

Namaste everyone. And thanks Lora for the inspiration!

Julie

Julie - When I first started doing yoga - it was with Bryan Kest years ago and I *also* love his long hair. The ladies over at Videofitness turned me on to Eion, Shiva & Rainbeau and I just love those 3 instructors. Perhaps you can find Yoga Shakti on E-bay some time and try it again. It's a really good DVD. I like the Matrix.....but I tend to choose the same practice over and over. I always do some Dancing Warriors and Standing Poses, Back Bend Prep, Supine Poses, Forward Bending & Twisting followed by inversions and shavasana. For some reason, I just really like the poses in that sequence. Your lucky you live in NYC where there's so many yoga classes.

Megadoo - If you don't feel like doing anything on your rest day, there's no need to!! I just have a hard enough time refraining from doing lite cardio and yoga.....so I have to at least stretch out on my rest day.

Hey, not sure who mentioned being a little intimidated by Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti tape, but I love her! I just did her Solar FLow 2 earlier, and felt very good afterwards. She has many different programs within the DVD, and if you love bending and twisting, then you can choose the "lunar flow" sequence, which is nothing but bending, hip opening,and twisting. Her practices are physical and soothing at the same time. I highly recommend giving her another try. I also have several Baron Baptist DVD's, and some are better than others. I love his Power yoga level 2 tape- I got it for 5 dollars at a store that sells everything for 5 dollars or under! What a deal!

Anyone out there who loves shoulder stands? I used to hate them (because i couldnt do them) and now I can hold them for a while and find that they are very relaxing. I also love back-bending poses- especially the camel!

Take care everyone and good luck with your next practice! :) :) }( :p

Starla

Hi all, back again. After much drama, declaring an off day and all (*pout*pout*stomp*stomp), I actually worked out tonight. I eeked out Basic Step and did GS back. Had DOMS in the chest from last night's workout-thought I was taking it easy (and I was) but forgot how hard it is to extend the arms during arm movements when the chest is sore!

I am feeling better now. I told my friend Shani (the nutritionist) about my episode on the scale when she came in. She couldn't believe it and had me get back on it three times just to make sure I am reading it right........(it's digital!!!)...but I humored her anyway. I know she was rooting for me. Sure enough, same results, four times the mental anguish. We moved on to body fat measurements and the story got better. She gave me a goal of 22% body fat when we started (May) and I am at 23.8% as of this month. I started at 28.3%. So, I have lost 4.5% body fat so far. My back is being very, very resistent to change-it is tough to really hone in on this area. She recommended more cardio. x( My triceps have made the biggest change-from 21 mm in May to 8 mm this month! I have to give it up to Cathe...it is all her workouts! My biceps have always been low/not a problem area. My hips were resistant for a few months but have gone from 16 mm to 10 mm. So, there really are improvements there. I am so glad I only do this one a month though. (Including the weigh-in.)

Megadoo-So, let me get this straight, it's not that 3 days a week for maintenance is a myth on the scale of the Lochness monster, it's just that you like what exercise does for you that much now that it's become fun. What a Flashdance "What a feelin'" place to be! Hope I get there someday! What is AbrX-Is that the Ab Ripper workout from P90X or something like that? My God, the boards have been "lit up" lately over that workout..is it that good? I have seen others describe it-How would you describe it? Did you work up to it or just plunge right in? Thanks for the encouragement! You sound so sane & calm & logical about the whole weight thing. I can tell you are a good mom-you gave me nowhere to go with my temper tantrum! :)

Julie-Welcome to the thread! You cracked me up too with the "sweeeet" comment, so funny! :+ Oh no you didn't on the Shiva thing, though! Even though I don't do that one as much-I could not live without the Lunar series on that DVD. I also agree with Lora that the music can't be beat-it haunts me for days after hearing it-in a good way. I understand about the message from the universe and I'll one up your "woo woo" factor-I think the universe just delivered that message to me through YOU! (Pause for dramatic "moment of enlightenment" effect.) Hope you hang around awhile-you will enjoy it-the ladies on the thread are GREAT! :)

Lora-You are inspiring me to do something on my rest day, too. I am excited that you are thinking about adding some Pilates. You're so good about keeping us updated-keep it up when you get to the Pilates part. I want to hear about what workout you're doing and the results you get. I have gotten better ab definition from Pilates that any traditional ab exercises. What workout are you thinking of trying out first? BTW, I liked Bryan Kest with the long hair, too-Do you think he lost his mojo when he cut his hair? :(

August-How do you like the Michael Olajide workout? Guess what! I just pulled out my Dolores Munoz DVD and in our parallel universe I have a Michael Olajide Abs and Back bonus on my DVD. :) So the Dolores Munoz part you have on yours is probably a clip from my workout. So, just envision 45 minutes of that bonus instead of 10 minutes. Tough, tough, tough! I can't throw out the evil scale since it's Shani's (or rather the company's)...great suggestion by the way :)...but I did tell it that if it did not start giving me better readings soon, it would be introduced to my friends, hammer and pliers. :+

Hi Yve and Charlotte, missed you guys today!

Thanks everyone for your support today! Chat w/ya' later!

Jen

Hi Jen! Even though I made my goal weight, I still have some leaning out to do. I have made incredible progress. I am happy with my body, just some core stuff to really define. I do love the work outs. Of course somedays I am like, forget it, don't feel like it, but I love the feeling I have after a WO. I do still have goals. I am sure once someone reaches there goals, they can go on to just maintenance and be fine, but I enjoy the challenges I put forth on my body, and my mind. It has certainly become a way of life for me. I want to be healthy too.
Yes, AbRx is Ab Ripper X from the P90x series. SOmeone on the forums had an extra one and gave it to me (Godbless her!) I jumped right in! It is totally different from Cathe's ab WO's, so that is nice. It is 12 different exercises, 25 reps each. All in all you wind up doing over 300 reps. I like it. It is challenging, but not impossible, and of course there are always modifications shown. I hope to get the whole series soon.
About the baby weight thing...I tried to exercise during that pregnancy, but at 6months I was put on bedrest till my 9th month. Believe me, talk about losing ALL muscle strength (not that I had much to begin with). So I REALLY started from scratch after. I did have a hard time in the beginning with my weight. But I did something about it. The most important thing to remember is that it does take time. But with the mindset you have and the lifestyle you have chosen for yourself, you will be just fine! Good luck with it!
BTW, thanks for the mom comment, that was really nice!

Maeghan AKA megadoo

Starla - You got Baptiste for five bucks?! What a find! I'm going to be ordering Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti...and now you've got me thinking about the Lunar and Solar ones, as well. I'm just starting out with yoga - I'm talking like a couple weeks ago LOL - and am just putting my yoga stock together. I am so intrigued by the head/shoulder stands. I totally want to try them. I guess I should figure out the basic stuff first though LOL. :)

Jen - Was it you who was talking about that Buttercup song? Well let me tell you, I did Cardio & Weights today! I thought I'd done the workout before, but it turned out that it was my first time. No wonder I couldn't remember the song. Well, I was so excited for it to come on all through the workout LOL and at each song change I'd get all giddy. It was funny that it was near the end, like some kind of big finale. I totally cracked up listening to it. Yeah, I see what you mean. And as if the song alone wasn't cheesy, it was paired with the thing I hate most for background exercisers to say : "Uh oh!" I HATE HATE HATE to hear them say "UH OH!!" It totally makes me cringe. So hearing the Buttercup song paired with a bunch of "Uh oh!"s really had me going. :7

Anyway, glad to hear you're feeling better. Basic Step is so great for those kind of uck days. You've lost a ton of body fat - that is so awesome. My Tanita has consistantly told me I'm 25%, but after a year and a half of weight lifting and cardio, some visible muscle tone, and waaaaaay healthier eating, I can't imagine that could be correct. (Or at least it better the he!! not be LOL.) Wow, lots of smaller digits all over the place with you! How enviable! I'm sure your nutritionalist friend will help figure out what a good next step is.

Oh no, more Lunar talk. I really better look into this. :)

How funny that the Delores DVD has a Michael bonus on it! I cannot imagine doing my Delores bonus for a whole 45 minutes, good gawd. I got my Michael one just when I was starting out exercising because I was a total dork and mistakenly thought I would be able to handle it, even though I was a total beginner. So now it is forever implanted in my head as : Deadly workout - do only when desperate. I can't seem to want to pull it out and use it now, which is unfortunate because I do like him as an instructor.

Oh, if your scale gets lonely, tell me, and I'll send him a friend. :*

Megadoo - Wow, a few months of bed-rest must have been wild! And scary, to have to think of losing muscle that you made. Although it didn't seem to side you at all, being that you've reached your first goal. Congratulations!

And hey everyone, I got some of my DVDs this morning!!! Bryan Kest Power Yoga Series, Total Yoga 4-Pack, and Crunch Fat Burning Yoga with Joy of Yoga. I can't wait! Which one should I try out first?! I want to do one tonight! Woohoo!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.