Trying to Fit Yoga In Check in for Nov 5 Sunday

lorajc

Cathlete
Morning Ladies -

This morning I did Low Impact Cardio - Cardio Blast premix. I used my higher step. I guess my legs were a little sorer than I thought. They felt pretty fatigued during the cardio. That's why I hate taking rest days....for some reason, I never feel stronger the next day, but instead I feel as if I need another day off. Go figure??? Anyway, I burned 420 calories in 60" from w/u to c/d. I then did Shiva Rea's Fluid Power Yoga from the Matrix - Mandala Namaskar I, Mandal Namaskar II, Backbending Vinyasa, Forward Bends and Hip Openers..60". I wanted to do some Kundalini, but ran out of time. I did end up starting the Beginners and Basic Kundalini set, but we're going to an early movie today and I've got lots to do........so hopefully, I'll be able to fit some Kundalini in later today or this evening. (boy - did I need to do that Shiva Rea DVD. This one stretches me out in all of the right places -- I just LOVE it. Lots of good variations in pigeon with some twisting and really getting into those hips, there are also some poses that get deep into muscles that are rarely touched - truly another fantastic DVD by Shiva - it does stray a bit from traditional during the sun salutations and namaskars....more fluid like movements - thus the title).

August - you know - your comment about yoga music has me wondering if you like the kind of yoga music I like. I'm sure the Dummie's DVD can't have very traditional music on it. I think Shiva Rea may have a website....and maybe you can preview her stuff there?? I'm not sure. I'm not sure the kind of instruments they play ...but I think I can pick out the Satyr (spelling). I don't know the instument you're referring to. What DVD did you hear it on? Also - if you like sun salutations, you may not like Kundalini, as they don't really do sun salutations. Maybe you should start out small and just order one or two Kundalini?

Jen - Yes....aromatherapy really helps me!! I have been using oils by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (BPAL for short)for 4 years now and 10 years prior to that, another oil company. BPAL has tons of stuff to choose from. Don't let the Gothic overtone and scare you off. Beth (the owner) is quite talented and although some of her oils are a bit "untraditional", she has quite a few that are more "normal". She truly has something for everyone. Some of my current fave's are Pumpkin Queen from the Halloweenie blends (limited edition) and since I like sweet scents, I've been loving Sugar Skull and Creepy also.

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/limited.html

I've also been addicted to Mme Moriarty from the Carnivale Diabolique series that is up until 2007.

http://www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com/cdiabolique.html11

From the general catalog blends - some of my fave's and ones that are pretty well liked in general are Dorian (Sin & Salvation) and Alice (can't think of the category this is in - you can do a search). Other fave's from the general catalog are Verdandi, Snake Oil, Chimera, Bordello, Dana Oshee and the Hesperdies. I also love the Lunar blends that are available for a couple of days once a month...on the full moon...like the one that's up right now since today is the full moon. Purple Phoenix is their anniversary blend that is a Limited and I think it sounds good also.

I also use Lush bath products for aromatherapy. I love their bath bombs and bubble bars. IF you don't have a store around you - www.Lush.com. The other place I like for soap is www.Villainess.net. The Scintillating soap is to die for in the morning shower. Vanilla Mint.......what else do you need? Other than aromatherapy, I use exercise and yoga to help with my depression, but my Job is the one thing that really depresses the heck out of me and Sunday evenings, I practically get suicidal!

I gotta get going........got lots to do.

Have a blessed and peaceful Sunday. I'll be back in a while.

Hiya, I'm just getting ready to do my Basic daily dozen. :)

Thanks, Lora, I did find samples for almost all the workouts I am looking at. The only one I couldn't find was pretty much Rainbeau's. From what I could tell of Shiva Rea, Eoin, and the Kundalini ones, they sounded very nice!

Here are the ones I'm on the fence about. What do you think?

1) Baron Baptiste Soul of Strength : I've heard sooooo many good things about this one I feel tempted to just go for it, but I still have a bit of a problem with seeing so many people cramped in one room. I can overlook that since I'll probably be either looking at the wall or at the mirror :)* ) most of the time (once I get the moves, of course ;) ), but that chanting music in the background ain't doin it for me. Is this one so good that I should just go for it and ignore the chanting music?

2) Rodney Yee Yoga Burn : Nobody recommends it so I have no idea why I have it on my list LOL. But for some reason it's there. When I watch the sample, his instruction sounds really great, and yet I do have a bit of blah feel to it.

3) David Swenson Short Films : Everyone seems to love this, so again, I'm tempted. I found a preview and watched it once and now I can't find the preview to make sure about it...but when I saw it that one time, I thought..hmmm...maybe too earthy....?

4) Total Yoga 4-Pack : They don't have much of a preview sample, but what they do have looks nice...but I have a problem with the pan flute. Does anyone know if this workout is all pan flute music?

Unfortunately Altar of the Heart also had a lot of flute in it, and that particular folk traditional singing wasn't my kind of thing.

So you Yoga gals, what do you think? Cross these ones off my list? Or are any of them must-haves?

Lora, it's not a matter of my liking sun salutations....that's all I have!! :7 It's either do the daily dozen which the instructor explains each one for like ten minutes, or else it's do the sun salute. I desperately need to make my order LOL! For some reason, I'm most excited about the Kundalini workouts. I don't know what it is, but of all the DVDs I'm looking at, I haven't doubted getting those ones at all.

Yeah, the sitar is a fairly well-known instrument, and it's easy to pick out. Think background music in an early '70s hippy movie with a bunch of people smoking weed and you're probably thinking the right sound :D . It's guitar-like, but the body is round and the neck is quite long, and the strings make a tinny sound.

The dijiridoo (am I boring the he!! out of everyone? Sorry!) is a reedy-sounding gigantic pipe-like instrument that sits on the floor due to its girth. It doesn't have any notes per se, and it makes a gurgly, low resonant, trippy sound, and is played by a blowing technique called circular breathing (breathing out through the mouth as you breath in through you nose, so the sound is never stopping).

Oh gosh, which DVDs did I hear it on........I've seen so many, now I'm totally confused!

Good Morning, all! I have to head out to Whole Foods for my weekly grocery shopping, so I'll check back in later. DH normally is sweet enough to accompany me but he is dozing and snoring this morning so it looks like I am on my own! You have to go early or it is a madhouse!

Have a good day and good workout!

Jen

Morning guys. I am hoping to get my Dusk in later. I didn't last night because after my WO, I felt like I strained my neck. SO I didn't want to push it. It feels alright SO FAR this morning. I spent some time on YogaJOurnal.com last night. ALot of good info on it, and I signed up for their weekly newsletters too.

August- I only have Rainbeau Mars, but I want to get Shiva Raes Yoga Shatki (per Lora's suggestion), so I am open to others too. I am making my list LOL!

I was reading a little more about meditation, and it looks like something I would be interested in. I get pretty stressed out alot, and I need that cool down you know. I am going to read more about it today. Anyone have other info or links about it? Thanks.

Well, gotta go feed the horses. BBL>

Have a great day everyone.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Megadoo - yes, YogaJOurnal.com is a good site. I should sign up for the newsletter also. Hope your neck gets better.

August - Hmm.....folk singing in Altar of the Heart....it must only be for a very brief part, as most of the music is the kind that's in Rainbeau Mars DVDs and Shiva's. I think maybe that instrument is the one that Eion uses in his workouts?? Remember, I said I didn't like the music....it sounds like new agey breathing or something. I hate it....but since I love Eion, I do them often. What I need to do is look for a CD of the kind of music I like and play it during Eion's DVDS. I'll have to post over at Videofitness and ask them about it.

Jen - Did you see my note to you above about the aromatherapy? You'll have to look at all of that babbling when you have time. Sounds like you were in a hurry when you checked in.

By the way, if you go to the Hate thread, you'll find that Michele has put a link for what a dijiridu sounds like. This is the sound I x( .

August - Sadly, my computer is not doing well these days and I can't view any clips or hear any.....so I'm guessing it's Eion's???

Good morning,
This morning I did the 30 minute Quickie from Eoin Finn's Power Yoga For Happiness. I don't recall anything like the dijiridoo. I like the music. Guess I better go check the link to see what it really sounds like though. The Magically Hips section really felt good with my DOMS from Butts and Guts.

Must run,

Jeanette

Good afternoon Yoginis,

This morning I went to pilates class. I think I will be feeling it on Tuesday. We did some core work with the ring - and also did some hip work. My instructor is currently getting certified for something called feltencrais (sp?) - and he has us do some pretty amazing stretches.

Tks for the review on Shiva's Fluid Power Yoga. I have Yoga Shakti - and love it...perhaps this other one will be added to my list - along with Yoga For Happiness.

Have a great day ladies.
Yve

All of this talk about Yoga music......has made me go to Amazon.com and purchase the soundtrack from Yoga Shakti to use with my Eion's and other various yoga DVDs I have that have no music on them. Some of the Mark Blanchards do not have music. You can go and sample the tunes at Amazon. The CD is called Shakti Rhythms by Shiva Rea. I also emailed Rainbeau Mars to find out what music she has on her Dusk DVD, as I like that also.

Still don't know about the gurgly instrument and now I'm curious as heck if this is the one on Eion's.

Hi everyone! OK, I am back, but only briefly, since it will be time for my workout soon.

Lora-I checked out the BPAL website and it is going to be trouble-I ordered already. I purchased Glitter (limited edition) and Vixen (love potions). Is there any oil on that site that is so good, it will make you forget about food? :) I am so hungry today! I have already messed up any chance of yoga for the evening, since I am munching on natural PB on a whole grain rice cake less than an hour from workout time. (Yoga practice=no eating three hours prior.) Sorry, I am getting off track. I also checked out the LUSH site. It has lots of good stuff, too. I resisted the temptation there, but may go back to visit when I am considering Christmas gifts.

August-I have Rodney Yee's Yoga Burn, but I can't tell you a thing about it. When I received it about 3 months ago, I immediately took out the weighted gloves that come with it and used them for Kick, Punch and Crunch-go figure :). I did preview the DVD but never went back to it. Just for you, I will go back to it on my yoga week (sometime in the coming weeks) and give you a full review if you want to hold off purchasing for a bit. I have to agree with you-when I previewed it, it looked a little dry.

Yve-Here is my question to you from the other day in case you check back later (note to everyone else, copied over from Nov 3, feel free to skip) Which Shiva Rea do you have? I also have Seane Corn. I love her philosophy, but can't seem to get into her yoga. It seems to stress me more-like every pose has to be perfect-sometimes you get so involed in the technical alignment of things, you lose the spiritual, feel-good side of the practice, which I feel is the most important and most beneficial part. What do you think?

Megadoo-Hope you feel better! I got such a relaxed feeling from just reading that you were going to feed the horses. How neat!

Gotta' run-will try to get back later. Sorry if I left anyone out. I am new to forums and threads and don't quite have the hang of it yet. Does anyway else result to printing stuff out to remember and respond to things? x( Makes me feel older than I am that I can't keep up without seeing it in print!

Take care, all!

Jen

Jen - Yes, the good old BPAL/Lush site's can put a dent in the pocket book, but do amazing things for your depression. Lush is a great place to buy X-mas gifts....wish I'd get some. Do check out some of the Limited Edition BPAL oils.....those tend to be my fave's. E-bay also has tons of stuff for sale. BPAL has quite a cult-like following. I sell sample packs of Limited Edition oils on Ebay also to help with my spending. I forgot to mention...the Forum for BPAL is www.BPAL.org. It's wonderful place. I've met LOTS of really good people over there. I'm lorajc over there also. There are tons of reviews in the Reviews section of the site. It's a fun place.............mmmmm for foodie blends, my favorites are the MonsterBaits....which were Forum Limited Editions....Monster Bait Underpants, Monsterbait Closet and Monster Bait Underbed. Check out the reviews on them.......they are quite lovely. I only have 1 bottle of each left.

Please, please let the gurgly noise that Lora doesn't like in Eoin's yoga..let it NOT be dijiridooooo! Be thankful you can't hear it on your computer, Lora, LOL.

Jen - LOL, poor Yoga Burn! Nobody seems to use it! It turns out that my friend also wants to order something through Amazon but the thing he wants to buy won't be available until late this month, so I'm going to be nice and wait. If you happen to get around to the workout, I'd love to hear what you think! So funny that we both previewed it and thought it dry...and yet still want it.

And so while I'm waiting, I wrote to Ravi and Ana to see if there was any box set available, or special price if someone buys all the DVDs at once. :)

Yeah, I wish I could get the hang of who is in this thread so I can say hi to everyone...is it Lora, Jen, Yve, Megadoo, and Jeanette?

Who else is here? Who else is here? Please state your name! :7

Ok, back again from workout. Just looked at my last post and cracked myself up...WTH was I trying to say there at the end.."anyway...result"...geez!?! Can you tell that getting close to workout time puts the fear of God in me so badly I forget I speak English? And my workouts are less intense than most other people on the boards. Anyway, tonight's workout was High Step circuit, cardio only, twice through. Also did Gym Style legs, floorwork only. It's funny how tough the stability ball & bandwork is-it is just as hard as heavy weights-just because it is so different in style and the body has to adjust. I think I will be feeling it tomorrow since it was my first time through.

August-From Oregon to Tokyo...do tell how someone makes that transition**eyes wide in wonder**. How do you like it there? I will try to get to "poor"-LOL- Yoga Burn soon and give you the scoop. I think you have it right on who is in the thread and hopefully wantfit and janiejoey will check in too, since they have participated also. There is also one more person, I just can't think of the sign-on name-will be slapping my hand to my forehead once I get back to the thread.

Lora-I will let you know when my oils come in. Are they pretty quick to ship? Are you using yours as perfume? Seems obvious, but I have read a little on aromatherapy and some books recommend that you put some on a cotton ball and keep it with you to smell thoughout the day-didn't know if you were doing this. Are you using them in baths or a few drops in the shower? Do you get an instant lift or do the effects seem to be cumulative over several days of use? I actually did see the discussion forum. I read one post and the person was complaining that what they got smelled like a Kirkland's store and said they were going to be swapping that fragrance. Can't remember which fragrance it was. After that I lost patience and did not feel like reading anymore. I'll check back on it though-would like to see what people thought of the oils I ordered-I did not check the reviews before ordering.

Jen

Hi Jen - Sorry I didn't see your question to me the other day.
I have Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti - and her yoga is beautiful. So uplifting - yet the beach and the music allows one to also get into that meditative sort of state during the practice.

With respect to Seane Corn - While I do think that her practice is more athletic - and her voice and the speed at which she speaks isn't always calming - I feel that I need her guidance on the various poses - simply because I am not strong enough to avoid doing things like 'dumping the shoulders' or leaning too far forward etc. As well - I think the fact that I am focusing on her instruction - I really tune out all other worries and stresses - and do my best to get it right so to speak. So - while her instruction isn't conducive to relaxation - for me it is a good stress reliever to really concentrate on the poses as she guides them. As well - her shivastana at the end is quite uplifting - and very emotional.

I think the difference between the two instructors with respect to the spiritual side of the practice is that Shiva Rea is more relaxing - and Seane Corn is more uplifting.

But also know that I have only been practicing for a year - and still do many of the poses modified.

Yve

I guess my post earlier disappeared.
I did Rainbeau Mars yoga for beauty Dusk tonight, plus the 10 min bonus, so about 75 min. It felt great on my all my DOMS from yesterday.
A little about me: 27 YO, married, 2 little boys. I live in a small quiet town in upstate NY. I am a SAHM. I was in the USAF for 4.5 years, and we have 2 horses and a cat, Toby. I am just starting to really get into yoga like August, but I am really excited about it, and enjoy it alot.
I am still researching meditation too. I would like to try it, if I can find 10 min of peace around here LOL!

Have a good night.

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Jen - Cardio twice plus floor work, what are you nuts? I can't imagine doing a cardio workout and finishing, and then doing it again. Good Lawd. I love living in Japan, course, a lot of it has to do with that I love my work, so I could probably be really happy just about anywhere. I'm looking forward to hearing how your oils go over. I could never buy scents that I've never smelled before. Workout DVDs, now that's another story LOL. (Well, not the smelling part, of course. :* )

Yve - Yoga Shakti sure is popular. Do you have her other ones?

Megadoo - Your post...disappeared :eek: ?! I'm glad I'm not the only one just starting up on yoga. I only have one DVD workout. And it'll take a while for new ones to reach me. I hope I can keep my yoga flame burnin' while I wait!

Hi August -
No - I only have the one Shiva Rea - yoga shakti... but like what i have been reading about her other ones.

My yoga library is still limited - but the temptation to expand it is getting harder to resist :)

The other Shiva Rea is on my list - as is Yoga for Happiness - and I am thinking of getting the Ana and Ravi also.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.