Trying to Fit In Yoga -Check In for Friday Nov 3

lorajc

Cathlete
Hi Ladies & Welcome to the Trying to Fit in Yoga Check In!!

I did Barry's Bootcamp Leg and Butt followed by the short intense aerobic segment on this DVD with lots of killer plyo and hops on the high step. My hips are very tight and I can't wait for this weekend so I can get the kinks worked out of my hips. My hips always get sooooo tight, but this week after the new Cathe's and Barry's Bootcamp, my sciatica's flaring and I'm in need of some good yoga stretching this weekend.

Last night I tore myself away from the computer and did Ravi and Ana's Fat Free Yoga - Lose Weight and Feel Great. I did 2 20 minute segments, Start Your Engines and Fight Fire with Fire (I think those were the segments). This is a Kundalini DVD. The exercises we did with breath of fire mainly worked on the thyroid gland to stimulate metabolism and the navel center (lots of ab strengthing poses). We held bow with breath of fire for a while (it became rather difficult) and we also held locust pose with breath of fire and some other poses that became difficult. I really liked this but I don't know if it was best to do an hour before bed....as I had difficulty falling alseep.

I had this on VHS and used to do it about 10-15 years ago almost every night or 3 times a week and I wasn't working out as a hard as I am now and I remember starting to lose a bit of weight.....so I"m trying it again (even though I'm not as young as I was then).

Hope you all can manage to fit a little yoga in your day over the weekend to make yourself feel great!

I'll try to check back from work...but not sure I'll be able to.

Hey, Lora, Leader of TFY!

Glad to see you started the thread.

I did my Sun Salute today. Can you guess which one? Yeah! The only one I have : Basically I'm A Dummy At Yoga LOL. I'm really getting into the habit of doing this Sun Salute once a day (it's about 30 minutes), and as I mentioned before, I seem to be holding my stomach differently. I also noticed in the shower I was doing deep breathing through my nose!

I am becoming one with yoga :+ .

Anyway, for my first post in the TFY thread, I'm going to give some good yoga advice. Here it is :

Don't put on perfumed body lotion before doing yoga.

What with all the deep breathing and having my arms pressed up near my face, or my face pressed up near my legs, I thought I might pass out! :*

I keep hearing about Barry's Bootcamp, but I don't know what it is. I'll have to look into that.

Woah, Ravi and Ana's workouts have been around for 15 years? Have they been redone? You mean the image on their website is 15 years old? I must be misunderstanding something. I decided to go for it and get all 12 of their workouts, by the way. I can't wait!

That reminds me in middle school when I would say, "I can't wait" that my friend would say, "You're gonna have to."

Hah.

Yeah.

August - I don't know if you're into perfume oils. I'm addicted to Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab oils. The site is www.Blackphoenixalchemylab.com. The oils smell so much better than commercial fragrances. I haven't used commercial fragrance for about 15 years. There is also a forum BPAL.org if you get hooked. She makes a whole set of Chakra oils....if you really want to get in tune with your chakras!! LOL. I don't know if you're into this sort of thing, but since I got a lot of ladies over at the Hardcore thread starting this and loving them....thought I'd share over here. Don't let the site scare you....it's a bit "non-traditional". Beth (the owner) is a genius. I particularly collect all of the Limited Editions which I feel smell the best and It's become quite a hobby. Gotta go finish getting ready for work.

Good Morning, Ladies! So excited to be here. I am already at work, so I will check-in at lunch or a little later in the evening. I got the new DVDs yesterday so I am really in a pickle! Got home from work too late to even preview them and was still too sore from Gym Style Chest (72 push-ups for a warm-up, oh my!) to do anything. I was really worried about doing all yoga for a week last week, but it turned out really well. I suffer from very tight hips also, but was surprised to find I had made more progress by doing other workouts for awhile. I actually think that losing some of the fat from my hips gave me a little greater range of motion.

I would be glad to talk Chakras-I am not afraid! The more I do yoga, the more I am tuned in to them. I feel them opening the most in wheel pose (very deep backbend). Although I know you may not be there yet-I also would encourage you to give Mudras a chance when you're ready-I think there is something to them, as well. Essential oils/perfume oils are the best! I hate the smell of artificial air freshners and plug-ins after you smell the real thing. I am definately going to check out the suggested website-it can be so expensive though-is this site comparable?

Does anyone here meditate, or is that just asking WAY too much of those who are just dipping their toes in the water?

Have a great day all and chat w/ya' later!:)

Jen

OK, what exactly are Chakras? and Mudras?
I ordered some essential oils from that website too! Can't wait to get them.

So I only own 1 yoga DVD for now. Rainbeau Mars Yoga for Beauty: Dusk. I love it. But need to do it more. I am looking into getting more soon. I am going to try to squeeze some in today, but it may have to be tonight.

It is nice to *meet* some new people here too! Hi Jen and August. I know Lora from the hardcore check-in!

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for beginning the check-in Lora.

I just finished 10-10-10 but I am hoping to fit in Shiva Rea this evening. The essential oils site is very tempting.

I do my yoga mainly at the studio. Ashtanga, gentle hatha - and most recently tried a hot yoga. The dvds that I own are - Seane Corn and Shiva Rea. I ordered Bryan Kest also - but it came to me defective :( I still need some help with getting the poses correct - and so feel that I benefit from the class - but am trying to practice more with the dvds.

I am intrigued by your write-up on the chakras - and doing the exercise for thyroid stimulation - I had my thyroid removed a few years ago - and don't always feel 100%. I am going to have to read up on it.

I am trying to learn to meditate - it is very difficult. I must say though - that practicing yoga has allowed me to still the mind a little bit more as time has passed. Its only been a year for me.

Have to get going to work - but have a great day ladies.
Yve

August - no....Ravi Singh has been around that long. He was not married to Ana at the time and all of the older routines have been updated and have been improved with stuff added and put on DVD with his now wife, Ana. I emailed them to ask this about this.

Barry's site is www.Barrysbootcamp.com. They are pretty tough little workouts. I like them.

Megadoo - I'm at work so I can't go into it. I don't know if I talked about them on the Cardio Hate thread from yesterday or the Do You want to start a Yoga checkin thread. Please see both of those. Chakras are the energy centers that run from the base of your spine to the top of your head (your third eye - intuition - where your aura radiates from). If one or more of these centers are blocked, they believe you can suffer from illness and disease. Mudras are hand/finger positions that are used in kundalini and they also do some chanting....because they believe that when your tongue hits certain meridians in the mouth...it has a direct effect on you.

I try to mediate a little at the end of my yoga. I used to not be able to even do it for a minute...but I'm getting better. With Kundalini yoga, you mediate in between poses because you hold them so long with breath of fire and believe me - most of the time, I look forward to my moments of meditation in between. He always says now..."consolidate your gains and meditate" for a moment. They also have you close your eyes and turn your eyes up to your "third eye chakra" to focus and sometimes they have you repeat Sat Nam in your head or play your fingers.....with Sa Ta Na Ma...touching each finger tip together with your thumb. Sometimes they even sing a song at the end and always end with hands in prayer - hold your breath and visualize yourself as happy, fufilled and whole (or something like that)...............geez that was longwinded for being at work. LOL.

gotta run for now.

ETA: My all time Favorite DVDs to do - for vinyasa are Eion Finn's Power Yoga for Happiness (Magically Hips premix), Shiva Rea Yoga Shakti or Fluid Power, Rainbeau Mars, Pure Tranquility (restorative practice), Rainbeau's Yoga for Beauty - Dusk, Altar of the Heart with Tilak Pyle. I don't have a favorite Kundalini one yet....Maybe "Dancin the Chakras" is my favorite so far...cuz it felt so good to do the hippy hippy shake with my tight hips. When I'm in the mood for a killer workout...anything by the Cathe of Power Yoga, Mark Blanchard will do - his site is www.progressivepoweryoga.com.

Yvanna - Ravi and Ana's site is www.Raviana.com and you can read reviews of the DVDs at AMazon. That is the Kundalini site. Yes, Kundalini works very much on the glands and therfore organs.

They're married? Well, I didn't even know that!

Thanks for the link to Bootcamp...

And hi to everyone!

Yesterday I was on the treadmill for about 30 minutes, today I did 60 min. of arobic yoga. It was great. I felt so loosened up and relaxed now. My Cathe DVD's are comming today, and will do one of them also.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

Hi, everyone,

I did not check in for about 1 year. I had knee problems, then foot problems. I am still recovering from my bunion surgery...

I started to go back workout gently. I did some aerobic here and there, not as vigid as before. But I try to do two or three times yoga and pilates to keep things on track. I gained about 10 lbs. I need to lose 20 lbs. I am glad yoga check in thread. It keeps me going in such a dull winter day.

What is aerobic yoga? Do you have a DVD name?

WantFit

"Become the change you want to see in the world. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi

Good Evening, all! Checking back in after a long, long day.

Lora-I just re-read your first post and got a visual on locust and bow poses w/ the breath of fire. Yikes, that had to be tough-just remembering not to hold the breath in those poses is enough! And watch out on all the knowledge you are spreading-you may just find yourself to be our guru! ;) What kundalini yoga DVD do you recommend as a good starter/introduction to the style?

August-Wow, all 12 workouts-you really took the plunge-let me know how you like them, if they are good I may have to expand my collection.

Megadoo-Thanks for the 'hello' and it's nice to *meet* you, too. How long is the Rainbeau Mars workout? Have you checked out her website? It has some inspiring pictures of her and also has some great links!

Yve-Which Shiva Rea do you have? I also have Seane Corn. I love her philosophy, but can't seem to get into her yoga. It seems to stress me more-like every pose has to be perfect-sometimes you get so involed in the technical alignment of things, you lose the spiritual, feel-good side of the practice, which I feel is the most important and most beneficial part. What do you think?

Janie-You will probably do the new workouts before I even preview mine. Would love to hear your take on them.

Wantfit-Beautiful family picture! Sorry to hear about your rough year, but very glad to hear you found yoga again. Not long ago, I fractured my ankle in two places. My orthopedic doc wanted me to go to physical therapy. I refused and told her I would just do yoga to get the strength and mobility back. At the follow-up, she said the yoga seemed to have done as much good or even better job than the physical therapy. Keep it up!

Good night, all!

Jen

Jen--no I haven't checked out her site yet, but will. THe WO is 55 min from warm up to cool down I think. Sometimes I will only do portions at a time.

I so need to expand my collection, like, now!! LOL!

My DH came home from work early and I gave him kiddie duty! I managed to complete the Viper. I would llike to get in some yoga before bed tonight. I can feel my muscles getting a little tight.

Wantfit- I agree, the pic is beautiful! Hope your foot heals soon!

Maeghan AKA megadoo

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=megadoo2&x=15&y=7

Hi WantFit,

It is an older vhs tape that is called "Aerobic Yoga". Featuring Ganga White and Tracey Rich. It is from Yoga: The Flow Series.

It's an exhilarating and complete Hatha Yoga practice that can be done every day. It energizes the metabolic rate to burn fat and build a firm, toned and muscular body. It conditions the cardiovascular system and increases stamina while developing great strength and flexibility as well as mental and physical balance. Typed this from the back of the vhs tape.

I can not do the backbends nor stand on my head, but in this video, modifications are showen. I'm just a student, and learning all the time.

This is a vigorous cardio yoga workout.

I interchange with others also, for instance: Doug Swenson, Yoga Shakti with Shiva Rea, Mantra Girl Kundalini yoga, Richard Freeman with Ashtanga Yoga, and Mark Blanchard.

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

LOL. Janie, when I first read your post about The Flow Series, I thought you wrote that it was featuring Gangsta White. :eek: :D Hahaha. The images that went through my head...

I just took a look at the reviews for the Total Yoga as a 4-pack, and they were really good. It made me want to add these to my list. :-(

It says that it's not too "woo woo" which is good for me...what kind of music is it? Some people say that her voice is rather brash, do you agree?

Do you think it's a must have?

Good morning every one.

Thanks for your encouragement. I am slowly coming back. But when I got Cathe's new dvds, it made me depress again.x( I can't wait to do all those workout. But I know my foot and knees can not take it now.

I am taking yoga classes and pilates classes from gym. My DH allowed me to buy gym membership in my office building two months ago so that I can work out during lunch time. Otherwise, there is no way I have time to do anything. My older one (8 yr old girl is competitive figure skater). Her crazy training hours takes a lot of tolls from my workout plan. And I have a little 2 yr old boy to attain to. I am very grateful that DH let me have membership.

I really like pilates. It works on your cores and postures. Yesterday, the gym had a new yoga teacher for us to try out. It is called Yoga dance. But actually more focus on yoga, but adding a little dancing flavors. And I was so sweat after one hour.

Janies, August, Jen, Maeghan and other ladies, could you write out the websites of the workout videos you are recommending? I would love to check out.

Thanks for your comments on my family picture. That was taken last Dec.

Thanks
WantFit

"Become the change you want to see in the world. Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Mahatma Gandhi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.