Taking it to the Max-- June 2013 thru...

katied

Cathlete
hope you guys all find this!

hi renee, eva, Melissa and ladylep!

we'll see what kind of workout I get in with this lovely tendonitis brewing:confused::(

Hi Girls,
Katie, Thanks for getting the new thread started! I am so sorry about your ankle. Maybe it will only be a minor flare up. I think you are right to lay off the high impact. Does any pressure hurt like if you did slide and glide or turbo barre?

I am getting back to normal. I think my issues are from the intestinal issues rather than diet because I tend to eat a lot of fiber too and go like clockwork. Enough of this garbage.

I did lomax. I like it more than I remember. The music for me was good. I think it helped that each segment seemed shorter and shorter. I am wondering if I will be sore tomorrow. I tried to go as low as I could on the moves and added some intensity here and there. Also, I didn't do the full 8 min. cool down. One of the dread factors is the time. I am not one to workout more than say 50 minutes.

Renee, Hope you are better!!!

Eva, We have ac on and I have a fan blowing on me, it was still humid. I can't imagine working out at a place with no ac on when they actually have it. Anyhow, I get a little nauseated when I am overheated.

Hi Ladylep.

Last Monday od school here, Thursday is final day, yeah, less taxi cab driver for me.

Melissa

Hi Katie and Melissa!

I got in the 4 power circuits from BM2 (plus warm up and cool down) so about 44 min, I think if my calculations ad right! Good sweaty after that one!

Day 3 on 100% raw (except for the ranch dip on my veggies last night forgot about that!) no period yet, but my guess it will come today, I feel a little "something'" going on in my lower back. I will fit in BM2 upper body weights tomorrow I hope.

Low key this week after today: swim lessons for Little K and then straight to piano lessons, home for a quick crock pot dinner and then sending JTrain to his first playoff game. The rest of the week just has swim lessons and 1 play off game. I'll be working on the portfolio because evaluations are on the 11th!

Have a great day!

Melissa and ladylep-- great job on your workouts! Melissa, how low long is low max? like 80 minutes or something? I remember it being long, too (along with bodymax 2, ladylep!). today did slow and heavy chest and back plus a shiva rea flow yoga for 20 minutes. the weight work and yoga were okay for my ankle, but the warm ups actually irritated it/hurt. gosh, I hope it feels better tomorrow. I hate to think of laying off cardio for too long-- that's what I normally like to do the most of. oh well. I know if I push it too soon I will end up not being able to do what I want even longer, so I am trying to be smart. sigh.

Melissa hope it is the end of your stomach troubles! yay to end of school year!

ladylep-- glad things are getting a little more mellow for you!!

two weeks from today the program for the kids starts at the u of m in full swing. hope I am not limping by then!

peace,

Katie

Hi Katie,
Low max is 70 minutes. Too long for me, although it didn't seem to be 70 min. Really, the warmup is 8 min and the cooldown 8 min. So, I did my own 2 min cooldown. Next time, I may actually do a 2 minute walk on the treadmill for the warmup. This would help with the time. I am doing slow and heavy tomorrow. Are they a full hour long? I really like 50 min. workouts.

Ladylep, Good job on bodymax 2 I don't have this. Again, Too long for me. I do have cardio fusion which has cardio from that. I really like that. I haven't done it in ages.

Melissa

Katie sorry about you foot!! You are right about playing it smart!!

Melissa I love low max it is the first intro to Cathe I had!! I lived the music.

Ladylep body max I love also!! So many wo not enough time or body parts lol

I could do Cathe all day if it wasn't for my body parts not holding up!

Today I went to work no pain meds and no pain!! I gave been straining my urine like they said but it just isn't there. So I am hoping maybe the vinegar and water helped!!!i plan in trying HS man I love that it is my go to wo for any time and any reason I love that there's not much equipment needed! It is perfect for a quickie sweat fest right after work for s pick me up!!

Hello Everyone,

Katie, thanks for starting the new thread! I wonder if anyone will pick up that Xtrain thread at some point...? I'm sorry about your ankle.:(How long does this usually last when you have these flareups? Any idea what exactly causes them? Is it an overuse injury, or something else? Thanks for sharing the Aco Poco video! What a unique performance and am impressive group of kids. Is Alec super excited for the UM program? Is he a little nervous about it? Good job on the workouts today...you're such a trooper!

Ladylep, congrats on getting in the Body Max segment today!! That's awesome. I'm glad you were able to stick with your plan. I have not looked at the June rotation that closely, but if you list the workouts you don't have, maybe we can give you some suggestions? I think the workouts you listed were the ones you *do* have. Good luck sticking to your raw diet tomorrow! You can do it. :D Enjoy your relatively quiet days this week. You certainly deserve it!

Renee and Melissa, glad you were both feeling better today!

Melissa, it sounds like you had a nice weekend with friends and family...'tis the season for graduation parties. We have one coming up this weekend too. Congrats on getting through Low Max after your hiatus. I'm glad you liked it more than you did before. I don't know what it is about me and that workout...

I did not workout today...it was a rest day. I also got home from work really late, so no time to squeeze anything in. If I was home earlier, I would have done something, but since I've not taken a rest day since last Monday, it was OK. Last night I was on a tear and could not stop eating, so I feel a little bad about not working out today, but c'est la vie.

Tonight I am going to do this mechanics/technique workout for this workout called ART method. You can find out more about it here, ART Method by NY Personal Trainer Terri Walsh. I also ordered the Skogg KB system, but I think I'm actually going to send it back. I really don't need to get a whole bunch of kettle bells....I barely have room for the workout stuff that I have. I might try to find another local KB trainer. I cannot workout at the stuffy place. I also workout with A/C AND a fan in the summer time, so there's no way I'm going back there. It's a bummer because I really liked the trainer, but maybe I'll check them out in the winter. If they're too cheap to put the heat on, that would be a perfect place to workout in the winter!

Take care,
Eva

Hi Renee, Woohoo no pain! I am so happy for you! HS is the best. The grad party played one of the songs and I felt like getting up and doing jumping jack combos!

Eva, I'll bet the kettlebell place would be perfect in the winter. That art workout looks interesting. the moves seem to really target the core. I am going to take a closer look at it. Are the beginner points she talked about on the one dvd? you deserve a rest day. Also, it seems like you deserve a cheat with food. You are very dedicated. For ome reason, my body seems to do a little better after I eat poorly once in a while.

Have a good night.
Melissa

Hi Girls,

So I did slow and heavy chest and back today. I really liked this because I am not a sweaty mess and it is totally different than the other weight workouts. The only time I was a little complaining was the third set of chest press. I was feeling it too much in my bicep and shoulder. Needless to say, I dropped weight and it helped. besides presses I used Cathe's weight. That slow count really packs a punch. At times, it seems like way more than 8 reps.

Katie, I am eager to hear more of your thoughts on slow and heavy chest and back. I think next week I will mix it up a little like cathe did in xtrain with the weights, I am not sure how though. I amy do one seg. s and h and one seg. gym style.

Anyhow, I am glad I am done. My week off did not hinder my progress. So, that is good.

Hope you all are well.

Melissa

Well I goofed on the rotation and did the upper body and abs ( plus warm up and cool down) for BM2 which means I did it all over 3 days! Today was supposed to be one of the 4 day split workouts. I'll do that tomorrow. I haven't done that in a while! Should be fun if I can get and hour in.

Day 4 100% raw and my period came this morning. And my cramps have been mild to moderate at worst!! Tonight I will probably add in some cooked veg not sure if I'll have chicken or not. Now back to tracking! I am down to 165.8. 11 pounds away from being free at WW. I just hope that I don't put it all back on when I start eating cooked again. I already have brownies and chocolate chip cookies planned for events.

I went back to my weight tracker from WW and it took me 5 months to lose 11 pounds!! No! Let it not be that way again!!

Hope everyone is having a good day!

hi girls-- still nursing my ankle today, though it is some better then yesterday. it is interesting, though, that the warm-ups actually cause it some pain. today I did slow and heavy bis and tris and then also xtrain core 1. I figured if I can't do cardio, I can double up on core work (there is core in the slow and heavy). burned almost 500 calories. I am hoping to try some cardio tomorrow, but will wait and see how my ankle is.

eva-- it is a recurring thing with me-- I think from my flat feet and also my age. I never used to deal with this, but since I hit my forties, here it is. I need to be careful to stretch my calves a ton and also my feet, but that doesn't always happen enough, apparently:p.n I think all the impact eventually takes its toll on me, though. alec is super excited for next year, thanks for asking! the choral group performs again at graduation on Thursday, and I am excited for it. I think if anyone deserves a rest day, it would be you and also a cheat day! hope it was great!

renee-- hooray for no pain! hoping things went well at work today and you are still feeling good!

ladylep-- great job on the weight loss! and the raw diet! it is great that you know how to manage your cramps and what your body needs:)

Melissa-- I am loving the slow and heavy, too. not a whole lot of sweat yesterday, but today the bis and tris felt even more intense. I will be interested to see how you break it up-- I will be thinking about that, too, but may move on to something else after three weeks (she suggests that in one of the series). great job on the workout and the weights!

going to try and take a short walk with bugsy, going very slow-- hoping it doesn't make anything worse..

blessings,

katie

Hello,

Congratulations on your weight loss Ladylep, that's awesome. Your diligence with your workouts that last couple of weeks is paying off for you!! I'm glad your TTOM is not that bad right now too.

Katie, kudos to you for pushing through and getting your workout in today! I hope your ankle is better soon.

Melissa, I'm glad you were feeling good enough to workout today. Sounds like you've pretty much licked the gunk that you had last week. I still need to check out those S&H workouts, but as usual, I'm having workout ADD and never got around to it. I just got some KB workouts on DVD and did ART 1.1 today. It was doable, but the moves are very different. The technique video can be found here, A.R.T. Method On Demand. It's the video called INTRO: Technique Study. I subscribed and am going to work my way through the workouts.

Renee, I hope you're doing OK today.

Take care,
Eva

Eva I am staring to really like kickboxing and boxing workouts lately. I am feeling better thanks for asking!!! Yes I to have ADD on my wo lol.

Melissa good job on the chest and back I did slow and heavy bi and Tri on Sunday I think when I did a yoga cause I didn't think I needed to sweat and dehydrate again, but I was thinking I don't want to do slow n heavy legs cause can't see hi my lower back can take a squat that slow so I was wondering so you know if another wo if catches that us legs with shoulders ? Cause I need that for tomorrow! I need to work my legs and shoulders the last legs wo I did was last Wednesday it was plyo legs from STS I downloaded I had done yoga then plyo legs then more yoga and something else so that is when I dehydrated and got the pain from my kidney stone .,

Katie
I am sure Alec us pumped and happy man!! You are a happy momma as well. You are really pushing through on ur workouts as well!! I sure hope you get your foot better I too love cardio so I know how you feel when u can't do it!! Man it makes me feel like I wanna jump out of my skin!! Maybe you can give me an idea of a legs wo Cathe has with shoulders on it. Like slow n heavy has legs and shoulders but I know my back won't take that long a squat. Ok my I almost forgot I checked out Bryan jest on you tube! Holy cow he is pretty!! I tried to do power yoga 1 man I got to30 minutes and had to skip to floor cause I can't do balance an twisting at same time. I think I like the guy that does ultimate yogi better ONLY cause I have the foundations yogi he does and I really like that I can do the poses lol maybe if I can get better ill do more Bryan but he seems hard !! I like power part but like I said one move I can't do for sure is my arm under leg around my back and grab my hand!! What? Really? Lol I had to laugh no way I can twist in warrior AND do that! My feet have hard time holding humpy dumpy up lol. But he is nice to look at and he is something I can work towards but do not know what moves to do to get me ready to try his,

Lady Lep!!! Wow so can you give examples of what you are eating as well that is raw? Like I have been doing a veggie tray for lunch and a spinach salad for diner and fruit then I get lost still. I have gad some great blogs to look at but a lot of things I read I am not so sure I know where they are or what to do with them. I hope u get a wo in tomorrow to!!

I had a boring day at work the very little patients we had cancelled!!! I hate that so I was at work again so I did MMA kickboxing DVD and yoga relax premix 1 then came home and did Bryan Kest as much as I could without feeling totally inadequate lol I thought balance poses was done seep rare from twits but not in this one ha ha I had hard time with it!! Any way a challenge to try. Tomorrow will be a leg workout . Thank a everyone for your kind words while I was out of it!! I still haven't seen a stone so I think it was the vinegar I drank had to be.

Renee-

My day looked like this:
-water and a handful of blueberries before my workout around 7
-smoothie- 1/3C raw almonds, some flax seeds, 3 bananas, 10oz bag org. froz. strawberries, bunch of fresh pineapple chunks and about a cup of water around 10
-baby carrots and grape tomatoes with Caesar dressing (bottled not raw) around 2:30
-big salad for dinner: romaine, crimini mushrooms, 1oz colby jack cheese (not raw), 3/4 avocado, red onion with Caesar dressing, cooked: sautéed in butter more mushrooms.
-snack- 3 dates with raw almond butter

Yesterday was similar, but more blueberries, I'm running out! Sometimes I forget almonds or flax in my smoothies. I don't put nuts in my smoothie unless it's going to be the whole meal. Sometimes I'll have just fruit in the smoothie and have a big green salad for lunch (no avocado, I save that for dinner).

Het Renee,

How about a portion if xtrain legs and burn set shoulders?
I am foing to use dumbbells for s and h legs.
Melissa

hi girls-- another dreary day here, but at least my ankle is still feeling somewhat better. I had to try some cardio today, and I made it through without any real pain (from my ankle that is-- the slow mountain climbers felt like torture today:p) so that was a good thing. I did cardio supersets and then 30 minutes of yoga with shiva rea. I bought 3 more of her dvds and I really like that on each one she has a "yoga matrix" so you can mix and match segments to plan your practice. for this one I was concentrated on the core. here is one of the segments I did:

Spontaneous Core from Shiva Rea: Creative Core Abs - YouTube

renee, I think you will find shiva more doable in some ways than bryan kest, though he is nice to look at, isn't he? I love his practices because they are very similar to the ashtanga primary series, but I like shiva, too, because she is vinyasa flow and is very creative with her sequences. I will say that I think kest is advanced for most of his dvds and audios-- shiva has some advanced but also beg/intermediate. I wonder if I could find a link to david Swenson, my trainer... yep, here goes:

David Swenson Ashtanga Yoga - YouTube

now, he is amazing to me. he floats through his practice. you literally don't hear a thing on his jump backs or jump throughs, and he is an amazing guy. I learned more from him than any other yoga instructor, that is for sure.

enough about yoga.

eva-- what was your workout today? I opened the link you listed, but was too cheap to pay the 1.00-- actually too lazy to go through the process. what are those workouts like? I am feeling like mixing it up lately, too. hope you are having a good day!

Melissa-- what a great idea for renee for shoulders and legs. I second that idea and I don't think that there are other cathe workouts that are just for the shoulders (premixes), though I could be wrong. I also like your idea of using dumbells for slow and heavy legs-- the barbell really irritated my shoulders and I don't have a pad for it. hope you are having a good day!

ladylep-- you are eating so clean!! way to go!

renee-- yes, not doing cardio makes me absolutely nutty:p. I checked out the ultimate yogi guy, and his practice looks a lot like bryan, though his voice kind of annoys me. aren't I nice?:eek: anyway, I think you will work up to kest-- guruji, the father of ashtanga yoga, always said "practice, practice, practice and all is coming":D. I wonder if you tried it naked if it would help?;)

alright, I need to clean in here. this constant wet, muddy weather means the dogs are constantly tracking dirt and grit in here which really drives me crazy. hope everyone is having a good day!

blessings,

katie

Hola!

Just a quick note from me today, as I am on my way to the company kickball game! :) So, no workout for me today, but I do intend to do some walking to get to the field and around the area, but nothing really substantial. Today is going to be a rest day.

Katie, I'm happy to hear your ankle is feeling better. I know what you mean about getting your cardio in as well. I have gotten to the point where exercise is an addiction, and I get really weird and neurotic when I'm not exercising. Part of that is my fear of gaining weight, since it is so hard for me to lose/maintain, but I also have this feeling that if I lose my momentum, I'm in big trouble, so I just keep plugging away. Your observation about Travis' voice being annoying is a common one. I have heard many say that, and I wondered that myself when I saw the clips, but somehow it does not bother me when I'm actually doing the sequences. I find it helps me with my timing, but I'm a newbie and I need all the little cues I can get. That's not true for you, obviously. Also, the technique video on that site is free. It's one of the few that are, so you can watch it without paying the $1. I don't blame you! I wasn't going to pay for it either. ;)

Melissa, I hope you're having an awesome day!

Ladylep, your day of food looks very good. Healthy but filling. I'm glad that works for you. I have been wondering if I could do a raw day. I might survive for a day or two, but I would not last long, I don't think. I think dinner would be my biggest issue...and I eat yogurt for breakfast every day. Anyways, congrats on sticking with it. I hope you're having a good day too!

Renee, I am kind of mystified by your speedy recovery, but I am happy to hear it. It's awesome that you can squeeze in a workout during the day at work. Do you guys have a shower there?

Ok, I'm heading out soon. Take care!

Eva

Eva a lot of people think I am addicted to exercise but it is frustrating cause I hear comments like humm as much as you exercise you should be a stick!!! Really? Wow it is irritating cause I guess they don't remember I was 103 when. I exercised all the time and I gained all this on for five years and I just started really getting into the habit again so it will take a while to come off. But it is rude for people to make comments. Another thing I hate is I don't want to let family around me know how much I do cause they will start dying I am getting obsessive again but if they ask me what my plans are today I end up either telling them and they get affended cause they think I am showing off or they think I am condemning them for not exercising so at times I ended up having to fib and say I have a doc apt lol. That's terrible cause I don't care when they nap or watch tv!! Yes I am very mystified at my recovery!!! No stones came but no pain! A cold for two days?? I did overload on vitamin c well I ant gonna complain I guess.

Katie I saw shiva or whatever her name is she interest me. I like Travis because his flow is smoother and his voice might get annoying but Eva is correct the pointers really help cause I don't have to look at tv for the curing. And I land softer if it is slower and I did try it naked was not good ha ha . Now what is the difference between Ashanti yoga or vinyasa or haita yoga? I am spelling it wrong I bet!!

Melissa I think il do burn sets shoulders but cardio leg blast cause I liked it and allows me to get in a cardio and weights. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lady Lep great job in the food!! I love doing raw or all veggies I feel I have tons more energy that way. But I run out of ideas at times. That's y I am surprised I got a kidney stone cause I had been eating healthier stuff but maybe the healthier diet help get rid of it and the stone was from junk food I ate before?? I don't know.

Girls I do feel more pulled in lately!! Like I am not losing pounds but I seem to feels less jibbling !!! And I can see a small muscle definition in legs and arms. I have a lot of weight to lose and fat but I look better this year then I did last year!! Lol slow progress.

Hi Girls,

So, I got in my 20 min. hiit run. I don't know the cals, but I ran 1.76 miles.

Renee, I hear you about the comments. I just don't tell people what I do , and nobody asks for that matter. Way back when I was 15 pounds less, people told me i was too thin. Since I put on weight, nobody has ever told me I look good/bad. So, I try not to think of what others think and go by how my pants button!

Eva, Kickball sounds like fun! That should be a workout in itself.

Katie, Glad your foot is better. Your workout combo sounds good. Tomorrow I have bis and tris I think or legs and shoulders. I am not too sore today.

Have a good night.

Melissa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.