STS Fit chicks Mon Feb 16

pwmatt

Cathlete
Good Morning all. D7 is done. I did go heavier on bis and chest and I feel much more worked out on those parts that I had on the other weeks. Again, with the pushups!! I loved the med ball abs.:D I didn't do the partner part but that's OK. OH, I couldn't do the "Elmo" pushups.:( Dunno, maybe if I took the time to figure them out.

I am back. I have not been checkin in because last week I was working on my 1RM.

I finally started the 3 month STS Rotation yesterday. My goal is to workout Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. :)

Yesterday I did disc 1, What a great workout. My husband previewed it before I did and he stated he felt sorry for me. I now realize why - there are so much push ups. :eek::eek: I don`t really like push ups very much. However, I did do as many regular push ups as possible then I had to drop to my knee to finish them. :D

After my workout, I hopped in the shower and my arms were shaking while washing my hair. That shaky feeling seemed to disappear with about 30 minutes and during the evening, I thought I would probably not experience DOMS. I thought with all the 1RM testing, I wouldn`t be sore.

I woke up this morning with DOMS. :eek: I think today, stretching will be my best friend.

We are all up and getting ready to snow tubing. How you all have a wonderful day.

Morning Phyllis and Debbie

Welcome Debbie to all those push-ups! :p I did Disc 7 yesterday and I the push up are still there! Phyllis the Elmo ones were HARD but I was able to squeak out a few.

Today is cardio for me.

Enjoy snow tubing Debbie that is so much fun! Took my kids early in the month.

Therese

I have not viewed that far ahead and I am scared to ask, what are Elmo Push ups? I guess I will find out soon enough. :D

Hey Debbie,

You put your hands on the top side of the stability ball and do a pushup. You wiggle around trying to stay stable. Cathe calls it like tickle me Elmo you have to try not to wiggle around. Takes a good amount of turn on that core!!!

Therese

It'll be disc 7 for me and yoga abs when I get home tonight. The Elmo pushups sound like they are not happenin'! I will be glad when we are out of the pushup meso :):) I've printed my card here at work, so in 10 hrs when I get home, I'll be ready to go.

Have a happy Monday everybody!

Nan

Hi everyone. Well I completed D7. Wow what a fun workout this was. I try my hardest because my husband came down to do is own weightlifting and I guess I wanted to show him that I can keep up with Cathe;). I am finding today I am really hungry. Must be from really pushing myself on the increase in weights.

Good afternoon, I finished Disc 7 this morning. I did the Elmo's on my knees, I couldn't get one regular done. There are soooo many pushups, I can not believe that people can do all of these on their toes!

I heard we should not do cardio on the same day, but I'm going to kickbox tonight too, I'm very upset that I not only didn't lose weight this week, but I gained a little.

I started WW a couple of weeks ago, so I'm actually counting my points, it seems odd to me that last month I could eat 1800-2000 cal/day and maintain, and yet, now I eat about 1400 and still maintain, what's up with that?? I did go away for the weekend, but had planned ahead for one larger meal each day, and smaller eating during the day. I don't feel like I'll ever get rid of this flab around my middle. I'm placing a lot of faith in STS, I want this to help me change so much. I'm not giving up by any means, and I'm not as 'depressed' as this post sounds. I will see STS through 110% to the end, but it's hard not to think that maybe nothing can help me reach my goals.

Hey fit chicks!

I moved on to disc 4 this morning. Those push ups do not get any easier!
My arms are like jello.:cool: My bodybugg measured my workout intensity at 50 mets this morning! Mets are measured when my physical activity is above a 3.0 intensity level. I was wondering how the upper body workout would measure up to lower body. I think it came close to total intensity, which for me is impressive. My upper body is very weak.

OMG, you're all scaring me about the Elmo's.:confused: I'm wondering if they can be subbed on a bosu?
I have to be super careful with push ups. My neck gets all out of whack if my form goes south.

I love this series.:D:D Even though there is repeat footage, it seems like a whole new workout.:D:D

Hi All:
Today is my rest day which I scheduled for the day I teach Power Pilates at the gym. I am not sure how many plank variations I will actually be doing with my class since tomorrow is D7 and I am anticipating a pushup marathon from all the posts I have been reading!
I have been very hungry since starting this rotation. I have been very good with my eating but I have really been craving peanut butter- I use the Naturally More brand and have been doling it out pretty sparingly, but I have gained 2 pounds since starting STS. I am hoping this is just my menapausal body adjusting to the new rotation and things will settle down soon. Anyone else noticing an increase in appetite?

Brenda in Indiana

I started WW a couple of weeks ago, so I'm actually counting my points, it seems odd to me that last month I could eat 1800-2000 cal/day and maintain, and yet, now I eat about 1400 and still maintain, what's up with that?? I did go away for the weekend, but had planned ahead for one larger meal each day, and smaller eating during the day. I don't feel like I'll ever get rid of this flab around my middle. I'm placing a lot of faith in STS, I want this to help me change so much. I'm not giving up by any means, and I'm not as 'depressed' as this post sounds. I will see STS through 110% to the end, but it's hard not to think that maybe nothing can help me reach my goals.

Dela,

Don't get discouraged. This was posted on the YaYa board and it makes sense.

""I wanted to pass along information, courtesy of www.hussmanfitness.org, about the science behind beginning a weight/cardio program and the frustration that's often experienced because results are not being seen fast enough in the mirror. Below is part of the explanation given on the website by John P. Hussman, Ph.D. (taken from http://www.hussmanfitness...g/html/TSInsideOut.html): It turns out that the idea of changing from the inside out is literally true as well.
From the notes I've received from some of you, the most common concern seems to be that your fat loss seems too slow. After starting a serious fitness program including cardiovascular and weight training, nearly everyone feels better and more energetic almost immediately (aside from the perpetual soreness). But even after several weeks, some people do not see a noticeable change in the mirror, so far as fat is concerned. And the scale! You've busted your bottom for weeks, and there's no change! Of course, if you've really been half-hearted about following your program, it's clear why this may happen, but it can also happen when you have honestly been experiencing intensity every day, and have been careful about limiting your portions. I've received messages from people literally in tears at the frustration. Kid, the road to Easy Street runs through the sewer. You gotta get tough (words spoken to me by my favorite teacher, Father Arnold Perham).
Here's what's going on. Fat is stored in several places, within the muscle as intramuscular fat (which is why pork is "the other white meat"), around the organs as "visceral fat", and under the skin as "subcutaneous fat". If you're inactive as you get older, the fat starts depositing in the muscles first - the muscle tissue gets "marbelized". After the intramuscular stores are full, the fat spills over to subcutaneous stores, which are more noticeable. Well, now take that process in reverse. Exercise (and specifically interval training and progressive weight training) tends to draw significantly from the intramuscular stores early on, so instead of seeing a major change in the mirror, you may instead feel your muscles getting firmer and less "mushy". That's a good sign. Don't give up! The subcutaneous fat loss becomes more evident once the intramuscular stores are whittled down a bit.

(continued)
If you were able to look inside of your cells and see your "good" enzymes increasing, your energy-producing mitochondria multiplying, your cholesterol falling, your arteries clearing, your blood vessels becoming more efficient, your muscles strengthening, your bone-density improving, and all of the remarkable changes that this program triggers, it would be clear that the scale and calipers are just insufficient ways of measuring success. As these internal changes become significant, your external progress accelerates. Some people just start out needing more internal changes than others, because of their prior lifestyle, long-term yo-yo dieting, and other factors. Please understand that if you're following the daily intensity and carefully limiting your portions, the progress is happening, whether it's obvious or not. I've just seen too many individual cases to think any different.
So don't force the numbers. They'll come. Here is your job today: adhere to a winning pattern of action that you know will produce results if you follow it consistently. That's all. And if you do that today, congratulate yourself as a winner. If instead, you insist on measuring your success by whether or not the scale or caliper show progress today, you're creating a game you can lose. In Steven Covey's words, you're putting yourself in the position of trying to manage consequences rather than actions. You'll never get a reliable sense of confidence that way. Look, you're following a program that works. Do troubleshoot. Do review your workouts, food choices, portion sizes, and meal plans. But make every day a game you can win."

Cynthia, thank you SO much for posting this for me! This entire excerpt is very encouraging, this part especially made me feel better about this:

"Well, now take that process in reverse. Exercise (and specifically interval training and progressive weight training) tends to draw significantly from the intramuscular stores early on, so instead of seeing a major change in the mirror, you may instead feel your muscles getting firmer and less "mushy". That's a good sign."

In the car with my husband this weekend, I was talking about how I'm not losing, and made a comment that I can physically feel my muscles are harder, so to me it just wasn't making sense. But reading this helped explain how that could be.

Really, thanks again, and btw, I mentioned your car to my DH, just trying to get those thoughts starting in his head :p.

no STS for me today

The stomach flu DS had last weekend and DH 2 wks prior to that seems to have found me. I was at work w/ a very uncomfortable belly, kept thinking I was going to get sick, finally gave up and came home. I had to stop 2x on the way home, just in case. Then I took bath when I got home, then got sick. YUCK!!! But, I feel a thousand times better now. So, no STS for me today. I'll have to rearrange so I'm back on track to start next week. I'll work it out. I came downstairs to find a book, then go snuggle up in bed.

Nan

Hey STSers!

Did DISC 7 this afternoon, and :eek: at all those push-ups back again! But I feel so good to struggle towards the end of them, i really really push hard, and even if I don't get them all, I feel the "push" is good for something, right?

I continue to LOVE the progression of the exercises from one to another. The Biceps w/ the band on the slanted step was fun!!

Elmos were "ok". I did them on my knees and was able to do them. I should have tried on my feet, but I have little faith in myself for that.

I did the Weighted Ball Abs too. THough I couldn't find my WB. GRRR!. I used an 8 lbs weight. Still worked! And I recruited my DH to do the partner abs with me! FUN!!!! (I used my stability ball for 'throwing'!)

What a great article about scale numbers and workouts. Very interesting! I have to say, I have had such an energy boost since starting STS! It's so weird, but I am so less fatigued than I usually get with rotations.

Hi ladies,

I also did disc 7 today and 30 minutes of In the Ring.

Nan hope you feel better soon.
Cynthia thanks for posting that website.

Jenn

I just finished Disc 4 and OMG my arms are sore!!! I did not think I would be able to lift 65% but i guess I am stronger than I think.
Hope everyone has a great evening!!

Tracy

Good evening everyone,

I did disc 9 legs yesterday. It seemed to go by faster than the others, but the bonus burn did the trick (ouch)! Today was 4DS Lower Intensity Step. I am still feeling some "good" soreness from the chest/biceps/shoulders on Saturday. I'm sure it was all of those pushups.

Michelle

Today was a cardio day. I went to the gym and did 20 min intervals on the stepper and 25 min SS on a cross trainer.

Tomorrow is chest, bis and shoulders, but it will be with my trainer.

chrissy

Good Evening Ladies,

Late check in here...I did D4 today and I must be the oddball...I love all those push ups! I am failing early on my shoulder work so I may redo my 1RMs but I'm hoping for nice DOMs in the morning. Cardio on my cross-trainer is on tap for the morning.

Sweet dreams everyone:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.