STS 6 Month Alumni Feb 7--13

cab0899

Cathlete
Well, I'm feeling better just a bit of sore throat and sniffles. Sounds like everyone is on the mend as well!! Yesterday DH and I did the first of the leg trisets, wow those are hard workouts!I still have DOMS from the chest/sh/triceps on Wednesday night. DH is really enjoying meso 2 workouts, it's more the style he uses when he does weightlifting by himself. DH went to work yesterday for awhile and he's there again today. It's really busy but he's hoping with all the extra overtime he's doing that he can take spring break off when the kids are off school. I've booked that week off for holidays as well so we go away somewhere.

Today I have to do Step Moves and I should get outside and do some ShovelMax. This afternoon we are planning on going back to some of the showhomes and getting more specific info on exactly which lots are available for building on etc. The weather is bad so the show homes should be quiet so the salespeople should have lots of time to talk. DS and I went to another few showhomes yesterday (while DH took dd to piano) as I wanted to see the floorplans. The salesperson said we were the only ones to come it was almost 4 pm and they had been open since noon. I think the bad weather keeps people away and very few people build homes in the winter.

Cendrine I'm so glad that your starting to feel better!

Jo Hope everything goes well tomorrow! Miggy was pretty amazing but I did wonder if that was a good thing to see on tv. I can just picture all these people trying to workout the day after surgery and for most people doing 13 miles first day post op would not be good! Athletic Step is fun! I kind of get Athletic Step and Step Moves mixed up in my head. Step MOves is on the plan for today.
We did get some snow and wind, I don't know if it's part of the same system as the east coast. We're in the middle of the country, a long way from the east coast but maybe we got an edge of that. Nothing we not used to.

Rachael How did everything go with the kids? How's the mudroom coming along?

Things are really gearing up for the Olympics, being a host country for Canada is a huge event. So it's all over the media, etc. Some of the pre tournament hockey is playing here this week. DS's school is taking him to the Switzerland vs Belarus game on Thursday. Just curious, have any of you heard of the sport curling?? Just wondering curling is a huge sport here, probably second biggest after hockey. I bet more people watch curling than football or baseball. But's it's not known in many other countries. DS has been watching it alot, there is alot of yelling and it was driving me crazy yesterday.

Good Morning Everyone!!!

Today I did 30/30 and Medicine Ball Abs. It felt GOOD!!! I should have looked at the workout schedule before last night...had I done that I would have done today's workout yesterday and Disc 13 today. I don't know if I'll be able to workout tomorrow due to DH surgery; but oh well! I was just surprised to see the rotation started with cardio instead of weights which I was expecting.

Yesterday I made black bean salsa and chips for watching Super Bowl today - yes, we're the big party! LOL! Anyway, I wanted to tell you all that besides my new standard corn chips, I also made the same recipe but substituted garbonzo beans for the corn. Everyone likes them better! They turned out a little dryer than the other chips, but will work fine with my salsa. Also, they are more like a graham cracker instead of as snappy as my other chips. I put a whole jalapeno in each batch (seeds and all) and they definitely have a bite to them!

Kim, I'm excited for you and your house hunting! Yep, I'll bet today is great house hunting with the weather the way it is. I agree with you about the Miggy thing...but on the other hand she may be bionic! LOL! Also, it was nice to see a lighter side to her. I think the surgery humbled her up a bit. I like ShovelMax! If you do that and Step Moves you'll have really burned your calories today!

Okay, we're off to Costco before the game starts. I should say, we didn't watch football hardly at all this year but still always watch Super Bowl. Oh, and the MOST important thing I forgot to tell you all. I used my new food processor for making all the chips and then I used the slicer to cut all my vegetables for the kale/bean soup I made afterwards! I cut everything except the kale in it. I LOVE IT!!! DH wanted me to hurry up with the chips so he could get his next round of jerky in the dehydrator! So, two thumbs up on the dehydrator and the food processor!

Hi Guys,

Kim, it must be nice to go look at the houses when no one else is. I don't like it when it's overcrowded, this way you'll get to take your time and not feel rushed.
I have heard of curling before, they do play it a little in Switzerland, but nothing big.

Jo, I'm glad your appliances are being put to such good use! How fun! What black bean dip recipe do you have ? I would be interested in trying it. And what a fun idea to make garbanzo chips! I'll have to try that too! Our only thing is that the food around here is not disappearing as fast as I would think so I have to take time to wait for one batch to go before trying another...LOL!

Cendrine,
Here's the basic black bean salsa recipe, since everyone here likes everything hotter, I put in more cayenne and more onions:

1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 medium tomato seeded and chopped
1/2 c green onions
1/4 c lime juice
1 tbsp fresh cilantro (or whatever you like)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp salt (I just throw in some sea salt)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients, cover and chill.

Yes, I haven't had any problems making things disappear here! Oh one more thing about the garbonzo chips in case you decide to try them. I did put these on two trays and then on one of the trays I precut the chips, or maybe I should say the lines were there! These actually turned out better than the tray I didn't cut as it really rolled up a lot and was hard to cut afterwards. The cut ones didn't curl but just a teeny tiny bit on some of them. Also, the garbonzo chips finished sooner than the corn chips and they were a little harder to spread as they just weren't as moist. I think I need to tweak them a little but haven't figured out what to tweak them with.

Good Morning Yall...
I can not believe I was home all day yesterday and did not have a second to spare to check in! Sorry about that.
Jo, I do not know how yall build anything in Seattle's weather?!!!We were frantically tryin to get dried in yesterday to beat the rain and wintry weather that is coming this week and I think we succeeded. My brother helped tremendously and then dh dutifully let him go home for the super bowl:D:p, and then he and I were on the roof until almost 8pm last night trying to finish up...Have I mentioned that I do not care for heights:eek:...Esp...SLANTED ONES!:D Once I was up there, I just kept wondering how I was going to get down. I am kind of a clutz and I kept picturing me kicking the ladder out from under me and then dh and I being stuck up there. Of course after I was up there was when I thought , we should have a cell phone up here just in case of and emergency...then it was kind of too late. It was weird I watch dh and my brother go up and down the ladder with ease all day and here I was struggling. I really thought I was tougher..:eek::p:rolleyes: OH, the good news is we got it dried in and now we just have to wait for the rain to stop so we can get in shingled...

I did not get a chance to fill in my calendar for the month until last night and WOW...It looks like the cardio days are getting a little more intense too. I am super glad I took the week almost all the way off. !

Kim-So are yall weighing the options of building and just buying prebuilt? I am glad you got to really look without people in the way. I feel the same way. I like to have everything to myself!
I have heard of curling but I am not sure what it is. I guess I need to google it. I am picturing shuffle board for some reason but I don't think that is it! haha

Jo-I am keeping my fingers crossed for dh! I am sure you are already at the hospital and he might already be done but just in case...I will keep good thoughts for him today!
I was thinking of you last night when I was on the roof...For one, Trapeze School!!! I would definitely need to grow some for that...haha and for two, how do yall build in Seattle with all that RAIN!???

Cendrine-I hope things are getting back to normal around your house! Has everyone got their apps. back?

Well I am off to do 30/30!!! I am glad to be back at it !

Have a great day!
Rachel

The househunting is moving ahead and last night I was feeling sick to my stomach:confused: Talking and dreaming about it is fine but actually doing it scares me to no end. We have a picked out a couple of favourite plans and a neighbourhood that we like. Next step we called the real estate agent that sold us this house 17.5 years ago to come and meet us. Just want to get his idea of what in this house needs to be fixed up, estimate of what we would get for this house etc. DH has become more excited and starting to think this is doable while I have got scared by the whole thing. Maybe I'll see if I can link the house plans we like.

Of course when DH called the real estate agent, he wants to come over late tonight (he has an early appt) everything is so hurried in real estate. I said know as dd goes to bed by 9pm and I need to clean the house!!!!

I'm off work today, this afternoon I'm driving my mom to the airport, she's going down to Phoenix to meet 2 sisters and her brother. They're all from Canada, just going to enjoy the sun for 2 weeks. I don't know if you all remember her trip last winter to Mexico where her friend suffered a heart attack and ended up in hospital in Cancun? I feel so much better that this winter she is going to the USA and not Mexico and with her family not friends.

This first week of Meso 2 has made me very sore!! I'm looking forward to tomorrow off. I think I will wait till this evening to workout as DH wants to do disc 15 with me. I really enjoyed Step Moves yesterday, now that I know the steps well, it was so much fun! Today will also be some more shovelling.

Rachael I'm glad you got off the roof safely!! Sounds like the mudroom project is coming along nicely! So no Super Bowl for you?? We had to be home early from househunting as ds was desperate to watch the Scotties, the national women's curling championships. Our local team won the national. The news is reporting the curling ahead of the SuperBowl. Curling is big time here:rolleyes: Yes, curling is similar to shuffleboard on ice.

Jo Good luck today!!!

Cendrine What's up today, are you going to try a workout? Any twinges on the back anymore?

Hi Everyone! I'm here in the waiting room at the hospital. It's 9:15 and we've been here 3 hours already! DH just went in for surgery about 30 minutes ago. I was in the pre-op with him - lots of activity! I am really impressed with the Dr and staff! Anyway, all is well, but had to get up at 4:30 so am very tired! DH has slept hardly at all since this all began so he's anxious to get this overwith so he can get on to recovery! He thinks he's going to be able to work tomorrow but I can tell you right now - THAT AIN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!! They put a catheter in his shoulder area so he can get pain medicine that way which will be better than taking pills and the side effects those sometimes have (Kim?? is that right?). He'll have pills also. The Dr said he should be back to see me around 11 so if all goes well we'll probably be home by 1:00!

Kim, I tried to look at your floor plan. Looks good from what I can see but will have to look again when I get home and have a better connection. Would you get the porch? I love porches! I'm excited for you! Yes, don't you feel like this process suddenly starts taking on a life of it's own?! LOL! Once you start it just takes off!

Rachel, in Seattle, they put big tents over the building sites to keep everything dry! (Just kidding!) I don't know what they do, but they build like crazy here. I think the road work and concrete is affected more than some of the other building. When the weather is nice, they put the big lights up on the roads to make it like daytime and work 24/7. You're cracking me up about being on the roof! I feel for you though! There's nothing worse than being in a position/situation that makes you so uncomfortable and fearful! Yes, where was that cellphone! Glad you made it down safe!

Okay, going to drop off for now as my connection is waning. I'll report back in with you all later!

Hello Cendrine! Hope everyone is healthy and energetic today!

Kim, I am so glad you put the link up...The place where you might get the lot looks so nice. I love the description , it made me want to move there myself! I love the Monticello and the Montego too I think so if I was picking it would be between those two out of the two story ones.
I know exactly what you mean about getting scared ...I am all for it and then the ball starts rolling and I start freaking. That is how I am on this mudroom except I am sure it is on a way smaller scale!

Jo, I was really being a big baby. It was a lot easier to get down than I thought it would be:eek:...Then I thought how foolish I was being worried all that time. I have to laugh now. But I tried to keep my complaining way down due to my brother and dh being up there all day!
I find it very funny that your dh thinks he will be at work tomorrow! He is a real go getter, huh? haha Well I think there is nothing wrong with that kind of optimism! :eek:
Maybe he should take advantage of an extra day off, I bet his co workers would understand!

Well I better be off to eat lunch...Cendrine, I hope you are not floating...Is it raining?

Rachel

Hi Girls,

Kim I don't really read floor plans that well, it's hard for me to imagine things when I don't see them right in front of me, so I just looked at the photo gallery...LOL! It looks beautiful! I had to chuckle about you getting a funny feeling in your stomach.... I am sooooo that way too! LOL! Keep us posted! I didn't hear about your mom's last trip but sure is nice to know she's among family, I would agree!

I did some surfing for our trip to Switzerland this May. I love the swiss public transport system, did you know all kids traveling with parents travel free, anywhere? I just think that is awesome! I am trying to get us to go to a chocolate factory tour and a cheese making place. Lots of other fun things like a miniature swiss museum outdoors with moving trains and all that the kids are just going to love. I'm just planning kid friendly things. The passes for the public transport that we are going to get gets us discounts or free entry on 400 museums! Fun, but I think we are going to stay outside a lot. I'm going to go surf some more after this...LOL

Rachel, you had me laughing about your roof episode as well! I get more shaky these days as well than I used to be. I took my students rockclimbing when I was still teaching and I got to cilmb too and I was not as happy up there as I thought I would be....LOL!

Jo, you are probably home by now. I hope everything went smoothly, and I am glad to hear they have good methods for getting to the pain while he recovers.

I did work out today, but we are still all a little bit off. But we're functioning.
BBL

DH talked with our real estate agent this morning and told him to come at 6 pm:confused: He told me this about 1 pm, he also said don't bother cleaning up:rolleyes: so I spent the next 4 hours cleaning/organizing the house. At least he happened to do to this on a day I wasn't working. The real estate agent just came by to walk through the house and then he will do some research on other houses in the area. We're going to meet with him in about a week and review what he feels our plan should be to sell our house. He feels we should have no trouble selling. Our part of the country was never really got hit by the recession, the market is strong and we are in a high demand area. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

We got disc 15 done after he left. Neither of us wanted to do it so it's good doing it together, we pushed each other. I reached failure on those biceps! Rest day tomorrow!!!

Jo I'm glad that they have your DH on some good pain meds. Sounds very well thought out. I hope he takes some time off and lets everything heal. What kind of work does he do??
I would love the front porch!!! Do you have a front porch??

Cendrine Oh your trip sounds like so much fun! 400 museums!!! I'm sure you're very excited to sure your kids your home country!! How long will you go for??

Rachael Thanks for looking at the plans. Those are the 2 floor plans I like! There was another one that DH like better but I don't see it on the website, maybe I should try and scan it sometime.

I was watching the national news tonight. It's crazy the snow that they had in Washington and over on the west coast, they're frantic with the Olympics starting on Friday and no snow for the downhill skiing. They are bringing snow in by helicopter and trucks to try and cover the whole mountain (over a layer of hay) must be costing a fortune! If only they could send some of the snow from the east coast to the west. How crazy!

Good morning Yall!!!
I tried to get on earlier but I guess my computer didn't feel like it:D

It was disc 13 for me today and I forgot how meso 2 was laid out. This is the way I started working out with weights and I love it. It feels nostalgic:p
I really had a great workout today!

We have the rest of the week off for sure and are starting a new job on Monday. I am glad I have this week to get the feel for setting up my weights because next week I will be up at 4 and barely awake so I will need to be on auto pilot with that!

Today we are putting the sheathing on the outside walls and the winds are blowing and it is super cold so I am layering and dragging out my coveralls so I will look like something else! haha

Kim-I love looking at floor plans. I will be excited to see what yall actually pick. Thanks for taking the time out to post them. How was the meeting with the real estate guy? Try to stay sane!:D Maybe everything will progress slowly so it will not feel like such a shock.
Way to go on getting that work out in. It is good that you and dh pushed each other!

Jo- How is DH? Were you able to get your work out in? Don't fret if not...one miss isn't going to hurt ya!

Cendrine-I hope yall are better today. This one really knocked yall all out huh? Maybe this will be the only bout yall have to deal with.
I guess I missed you saying before that yall were going to Switzerland in May! How great! Are yall going to be able to stay with family? What is the weather like in May?

Well I better get my hair dried and get on with it!

Have a great day!

Rachel

Hi Everyone!
I just have time for a quick note and then I'll be back later. After I got home yesterday and got DH settled, our cable was out so couldn't get back online! Anyway, surgery went well but Dr said it was worse than he expected but he's very happy with the results! DH will be in a sling for 3 months while the ligaments reattach to the bone but said it may take a year to completely heal. They had to anchor the cuff (which reminds you of staking a tent!) in multiple places. They gave me pictures of the torn cuff and the finished product! Very interesting! DH is doing very well and not in much pain - is just using the pain meds that he's hooked up to but hasn't had to take the extra except for trying to sleep last night.

I'll BBL.

Jo, I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well! It's amazing how long recovery takes! Will it be hard for him to lay low that long to give the shoulder a chance to heal? I don't remember you sharing if he likes doing weights and such.

Rachel, I'm glad you have some time off so you can get situated. Too bad it's so cold when you are working outside....LOL!
You may not have missed the swiss trip announcement, I don't know if I mentioned it before or not. We'll be staying with my Mom mostly, a couple of days at my Dad's too, but mostly at my Moms. May won't be hot for sure yet, in fact it might be a bit rainy and cold, but we wanted to get there before the mayor toursist season starts which ups prices for everything as well as makes things more crowded. I am starting to look forward to it, now that I am researching trips and outings and all. I haven't been a tourist in my own home country.... I'm gonna get to see more now that I don't live in it that when I did....

Kim, I'm not really planning on going to too many of the 400 museums, I was just shocked that a little country like Switzerland would have that many museums! There is an open air museum of a reconstructed swiss village at the turn of the century with live animals walking around and demonstrations of woodcarving, basket weaving, cheese making and all sorts of stuff like that. I think the kids would love that.
There is also a famous glass blower artist who has turned his workshop into a live museum for free and you even get to blow your own piece of glass. Another one I want to go to. Unfortunately we'll only be there for two and a half weeks, so we'll have to hit the ground running... But it should be fun!

Good evening yall!

Well I am finally starting to thaw out! I was layered will all sorts of clothes and coveralls but with the 20 mph wind that was constant...well it was pretty darn cold still! We got most of the sheathing up but it was more time consuming than we thought so it went a lot slower. Plus it is so hard to work in all those clothes. It makes everything a chore but I was darn glad I had them though!

Jo-I didn't realize something like that took that long to heal. How will that affect yall's trip kayaking , I wonder? Your Dh sounds like he is pretty resilient just from the statement of him going to work the next day so maybe he will be able to work it out quicker.

Cendrine-How long has it been since you have been home? It is funny that you get to be a tourist where you are from. That is so true though, that no one sees the sights in their home town.
That glass blowing thing sounds super cool. The artist must be a cool guy to do that for free. He must really love what he does!

Kim-I know you must be busy. I had to laugh earlier though when you said dh gave you a couple hrs notice about the Real Estate man coming and told you not to bother to clean...:eek: ,Yea right, huh? I would have done the same thing!

Well I am going to relax and get something warming to eat!
Have a good night all!

Rachel

Good Morning!

Just a quick check in for me this morning...but I had to come and say something about CCC...ow,ow,ow!

OK I really need to meet these people that say this series is not intense. I am telling you after doing CCC this morning I am looking forward to something less intense! And then there is legs tomorrow...Owi Kazowi! My calves feel like they have been tenderized! They are two little cube steaks back there! I used my vibram shoes so I am going to see if my feet get sore. Some people say that tends to happen until you build up the strength in the parts of your feet that you never use...So the verdict is still out. I was worried how all that jumping would feel though with no real support but it really did not seem to be noticeable.

OK I better go get breakfast...It is going to be a busy day. I will fill yall in on that later!

Have a great day!

Rachel

Hi Everyone,
With what I have going on with DH and work this week, I've no time (and no working out!) So I should be back to normal on Friday.

I'll check back when I have more time. Hope everyone is doing okay!

Hi Everyone,

busy day for us too today. Rachel, I hope you make great progress and I am glad the shoes are working for you and that CCC worked you good! LOL!

Jo I hope you get a nice, relaxing weekend and that today and tomorrow go easier for you than anticipated!

Kim, have a great day and don't let the prospect of moving add any stress to you life... LOL! Easier said than done!

Wow everyone is super busy...:D
Sometimes that is a good thing!

Well we were at my brothers today repaying the favor. DH helped him install his wood floor. It turned out so beautiful. He picked a real dark wood and there walls are a deep red and the outside walls are logs. It is just so nice looking. I am really proud of my brother because he did most of the work himself and he did an amazing job!

So we are seriously going to probably going to get snowed on tomorrow. Much like a lot of the country, we too are not going to get to escape it. SO I am looking forward to snuggling up tomorrow and watching movies...after my leg workout of course.

I hope all is well with everyone. Oh yea, calves are fried already ...chest triceps and shoulders...all sore!!!

I will be thinking about you all!

Good night!
Rachel

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.