<---STS 6 Month Alumni---> Father's Day Week of June 20

Well don't you know! I woke up and I am alone in the house! (Kind of liking that...) ;) SS has gone to work and DH went fishing. So here I sit with a thousand things I want to do and can't decide what to do first. The caveat in all this is I woke up with a migraine at 5:00 so took some medicine and went back to sleep. The headache is pretty much gone but I have a residual that I'm trying to get rid of before I attempt working out. (This is a sinus migraine of course.:confused:) So I think I'll finish my coffee, have a snack and then see how I feel. I may have to postpone my workout for a while.

The weather is crappy again so I had planned on doing some cooking today including making more watermelon salsa and I'm going to make DH some mango/radish salsa. He is going to fix mahi mahi again tonight. I also got all the ingredients to make the granola so want to do that too.

Kim, you have a fun day planned! Good luck to ds! It does get the old running juices going doesn't it to sit on the sidelines! Oh and yeah, that would have been heartbreaking to train and not be able to run because of blisters! How is your PF doing?

Okay, my coffee is kicking in and I think I can go get busy. Happy Fathers Day to your DH's and fathers! Hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend!

DS did great, he did his 6.1 miles in well under a hour. The Garmin died on him so he won't know his exact time. These kids are fast! It's so much fun watching the marathon sure is motivating watching all the different types of runners. DS and I went early and saw the leaders pass the 14 mile mark. He ran from around mile 14 to mile 20ish.

I came home and started month 2 of Insantiy. 90 mins of pure cardio!! I couldn't get my shoes on because of my blisters so I started in bare feet and without realizing it one of the blisters on the bottom of my toe burst open and I go blood all over the carpet:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Enjoy your time alone Jo ! Hope the migraine is gone and you can find something fun to do.

I have had any twinges from my PF in a few months! After Insanity I might try a little running and see how it does.

Kim, your ds is fast, doing 6.1 miles in under an hour! Was he warmed up when he started? I'm so sorry about your blisters, sounds like you got hit bad! Good thing you weren't running, but it would be fun for you to do the next one. The bistro set sounds nice, I kind of want to get one for the porch as there is one part that would be still available on our porch for it... But I figured I could wait a little and let dh get used to the hammock chair, which he is supposed to but up today....

Jo, I'm glad you were able to deal with your migraine and still have the day to work and do stuff! Your menu sounds delish, I've never had radish salsa, what is it like? The granola takes longer if you do it on the teflex sheets, but it's nice to use them because you have less of the flax and other little t hings fall through the grid. I like to dehydrate at 105° to keep the nuts and seeds raw, since I'm buying them raw, so it takes anywhere from 20-30 hrs to make sure its all the way dry, as I don't want it to mold in the container later... But if you dehydrate it at a higher temp it would be crunchy in probably half the time. You can always just peek in and take a nibble and see if it's crunchy enough for you yet.
I am waiting on the barley salad to have my peaches ripen some more, I had the suspicion that it was gonna be better sweeter, I'll probably make it in a couple of days.

Rachel, I hope you are having a good Sunday!

I did a pilates workout by Liz Gillies, it was a 10min solution one but I did the whole thing of course. 10 minutes hardly counts as a workout for me....LOL She's ok, but again, no 'chemistry' LOL! I'm gonna go make the colored carrots, couscous and chickpea dish from the CE magazine for lunch.
I still don't know what to do for the cake, more research needed....;)

Good Sunday afternoon!

Well another busy day around here. I guess work always gets my juices going and again I am way more productive. This morning I was up at 6 and had a black bean soup made and half the house cleaned before 8:30. Now I am working on 2 lasagnas, one for me and one for DH. I am going with a spinach, artichoke and mushroom lasagna and of course dh is having a traditional one. I am trying a new sauce since I still have not found the one that sticks with us yet. I am always searching for the perfect marinara for us. :rolleyes:
I haven't quite decided what I am doing for this week. I think I am going to take it easy on the weights for the week and then I will have to find a new rotation for July. I have a 15 yr high school reunion on July 31 and I want to look my best so I will have to find a really good toning rotation.

Cendrine-I have not worked with fondant but have worked with marzipan. (I think that is what it was) I made this cake for my MIL and she is Norwegian and the top is a layer of marzipan that you have to roll out. This was not too easy for me but I am not even close to the baker you are. I am not sure if they are any similar in textures. I do think though that if I was semi successful at the marzipan that I am sure seeing your other cakes that you will be able to do it just fine.

Kim-Are you going to take your shoes back. My friend got a pair of sketchers from Academy and had them for a while and they were bothering her and she was able to return them with no receipt. I know she had them for a couple of months at least. I have never really had much luck with sketchers either. They make some really cute shoes but they never seem very comfortable.
I can not believe you did 90 minutes of cardio with blistered feet...You are INSANE! lol

Jo-I hate that your weather is so darn crappy. If it is not one thing its another. You would probably be having great temps if you did not have the rain.
So I know its new but how is it with out your room mate. Between your dh, ss, and rm it probably was not very often that you were alone on the house. I know that when we have had extended company, no matter how much we liked them, there sure was this sigh of relief and maybe freedom when they left. I know you got along great with your rm which is a great thing. He was lucky to have friends like yall.

Oh I forgot to tell yall...I am 33 and I homemade a card for my dad today!:rolleyes:I thought it was pretty funny too...
On the front it said ..."On this Father's Day I want to thankyou for a gift only you could give..." On the inside it said "My ugly Feet" Then I took a picture of my feet and printed it out just so he would know I was telling the truth..LOL

Anyhow better go check my sauce

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's in your lives.

Oh yea Cendrine, the Raclette sounds great...

TTYL
Rachel

Kim, wow your ds did awesome!! How fun! You must have the cardio GLOW after all that cardio! Your poor poor feet! Hope they heal quickly! (Poor carpet too! LOL!)

Cendrine, thanks for the granola info. I'm going to go put that all together shortly. Let me know how the carrot recipe works out. I was looking at that one too.

I did Imax 3 today. I can't remember last time I did it but it's been long enough that it felt fresh and new! I still suck horribly on interval 4 BUT on the intervel with all the plie jacks...I actually did almost all of them clicking my heels. I maybe only missed 4 or 5 clicks. That's my best ever. I usually end up having to jump more with less heel clicking going on! LOL. So I wonder why I improved so much on that interval.

Off to the shower now and then I'm getting busy in the kitchen. It is pouring rain right now so a good day to do cooking and chores!

Rachel, I was typing when you were posting! LOL You are a crazy girl!!! I'll bet your dad loved the card! I can't believe how productive you are so early! It's 12:20 here and I'm just thinking of getting to the kitchen! LOL! Do take a look at the June rotation as it might be interesting to you.

Oh yeah Cendrine, I don't even know what fondant is! :p

Alright now I'm off to the shower!

Well, I made the watermelon salsa...and by popular request, it's very hot! I put all the seeds from one of the jalapenos in it and it is lip burning but wonderful! The mango radish salsa is going to be a huge hit! DH ate almost all of it! It's just:

3 cups diced mango
1 cup diced radish
1 tblsp lime juice
approx 1/4 c cilantro
a little sea salt

EXCELLENT flavor! Sweet with the tang of the radish. I could only have a titch though since I have a reaction to mango. (If it touches my lips they swell up like a blowfish!! But I love it!) :eek::confused::cool:

After finishing the salsa, the phone started ringing and I ended up talking to my GF, my mom, brother, dh mom...you get the idea. So never did get to the granola!

I'm thinking I'm going to do BodyMax 2 tomorrow assuming I don't wake up with a headache again. I've been itching to do that workout!

Rachel, I forgot to tell you, yes, as much as roommate was no problem...it's nice to have it just be us again. And DH got home around 3:00 so I don't remember when I had the house to myself! It was just me, my workouts, making my salsas and listening to the rain! LOL! DH didn't catch any fish but had a good time fishing in the rain! :D

I was also going to comment to Kim that I've never had good luck with sketchers either. For some reason there is just always some weird problem with the fit. And the shoes are so cute!

Off to bed to read! Talk to you all tomorrow - hoping the beginning of summer actually brings summer. It was only 55 today. :( SHOCKING!!

Good Morning Yall!

Sorry about the temps Jo, add about 50 degrees to that and that is where we are and were yesterday!

Well since I am taking it easy this week I went ahead and did Step Moves. It is a fun workout. It's not really too tough physically but there are alot of switches going on so I got a good brain workout.:p
I am just playing it by ear this week and then next week I have to get serious again! lol

Hopefully this week goes smooth at work. We have a few issues that have to dealt with right off so if that goes well then everything else should fall into place. If not, we will just have to ride the wave to see where it takes us this week. We are going to start laying today and then we will get the real feel of this product.

Jo-I love sweet heat so the watermelon salsa sounds great. Dh brought a watermelon home from his dads yesterday. It is so big I was wondering what I would do with it all. What do you use the salsa for? I am not a big fish eater so I am not sure what other ways I could use it. Except for just eating it right out of the bowl I make it in...It sounds that good.
I think its funny that you eat the mango anyway! I have a friend that is allergic to shellfish but risks it with a shrimp here and there! I think he is a little crazy though. LOL

I hope everyone has a great start to your week!

TTYL

Rachel

Good Morning All! I had thought about doing Body Max 2 and then at the last minute I felt the cardio urge overtake me and I did Cardio Fusion! I will admit I ran our of gas on the last two drills at the end (Drill Max drills) but it was great!

So interestingly enough, since I've mostly been just spinning since all this heel nonsense started (except Step Moves once I think) my calves were a little tight today after Imax 3 yesterday. And, I also decided to do Cardio Fusion on a 6" step instead of 8" again, trying to be a little cautious (hope you don't think I cheated!) :p But boy have I got the cardio glow!

Rachel, isn't Step Moves so much fun? Okay, on the salsa, we put on fish, eat with chips (normal), I like to put it on cottage cheese, I don't eat salad dressing so I put it on my salads, eggs, so pretty much anything you'd eat regular salsa with. Same with the mango/radish salsa. So one of my very favorite snacks is equal parts cottage cheese and wheat berry and then add salsa and mix it all up!

Got to get busy! Hi Kim and Cendrine!

Rachel, somone was just asking me about the Vibrams. What style do you have and what activities do you use them for? I told them you really like them but don't remember all the particulars. This person ran a 10K this weekend and saw someone running in them. Inquiring minds want to know... :)

Hello hello hello.
One day under my belt and four to go!

Jo, I think I have the sprint version of the vibrams and I love them. I have worked out in them ever since I got them. I have not really done any running but every other workout you can think of , I have done it in the vibrams. I thought I would have gotten some sort of foot issues. I was really anticipating it but I haven't.

The day did not go at all like I thought it would. Neither of the scenarios that I had in my head happened. That always happens to me. I plan out the day and then something comes along and changes everything. I guess you gotta roll with the punches. All in all it was an alright day and I am sure tomorrow will be better.

I am thinking I might do a little Kick Max tomorrow. Although who knows...I am not on a schedule this week!

Jo-I don't know why I didn't think to use the salsa in all those ways. I guess because down here salsa is almost always a mexican style sauce. Love it though. My favorite snack is cottage cheese with salsa and a little feta cheese. Yum!

Ok I am off to relax before bed!

TTYT
Rachel

As I was typing yesterday I started to feel sick. I don't know what it was a combination of being outside in the heat, up early, hadn't ate/drank enough water and then 90 minutes of Insanity. I felt like I used to after really long runs from marathon running. I had to drink, eat a bagel and lie down for a while. In the evening I took dd to see Toy Story 3, (very cute!) while DH and ds saw The A team

Did a second Insanity workout from month 2 today. Goodness these are hard workouts:confused: I got 3. 5 weeks left:confused: Had to do it in barefeet again but with bandaids on!

Rachael, I should look into taking those shoes back but I haven't yet. When I go to the USA this Sept on my shopping/bus trip maybe I'll look at the Vibrams, it actually feels quite good to workout barefoot. Cute card for your dad! I'm sure he had a chuckle.

Jo You sure were energetic, tackling Cardio Fusion! I think that's quite an accomplishment whatever height that you used! I'm already missing my Cathe workouts! But I will finish this Insanity rotation! It would drive me crazy if I dropped out twice! Of course, yesterday I meant that I had no signs of PF lately.

Cendrine Are you busy enjoying your hammock chair??;)

Quick mommy brag, ds got exam results back, he got a 90% average:cool::DHe got a 100% in English which doesn't surprise me at all, goodness can that kid talk:rolleyes:

Boy did I miss a lot since my last post! You guys were in the chatting mood!

I got up at 6 today for the first time since coming back from Switzerland.... The sleeping in is not satisfying me, LOL! So I got up, put my workout gear on and did a CC on the treadmill, it felt great! Then I had to pack up the kids to go to my friend's place on the lake in the mountains to go collect pinecones, bark, things like that for a project for the birthday party. It took us forever to make the 2.5 mile walk around the lake, because the kids were exploring the whole time. Good thing I had made them wear boots, they got into the water and really enjoyed themselves. We got back late afternoon and I fed them an early dinner because now we have to head back out for an end of the year boy scout pack meeting with an ice cream social... I brushed my teeth to not feel tempted...LOL!

Rachel, what a funny father's day card! I like to eat watermelon just the way it comes, but you could also freeze some cubes and blend it into a refreshing watermelon smoothie, just blend the fruit, add nothing else, it's really good.

Kim, I am absolutely impressed that you are working out so hard with such bad blisters! You are amazing! and 90 min of it! Congrats on your ds' great results! How pleased you must be! It is so rewarding to have kids do well in what they are doing! How are you celebrating?

Jo, the carrot couscous was tasty, needed extra salt for my liking, but then I always seem to crave salt probably because I have such low bloodpressure...:rolleyes: For the record, if I click my heels on the plie jumps, I can only do about every other or every third! clicking is super hard for me, I usually just to plie jumps without clicking because it makes me BURN! So, high fives to you for doing so many of them! I'm glad your headache was not back to bother you!

Well, I gotta go get the kids ready and out of the house. I intend to get up again early tomorrow and get a good pilates workout in.

Hi Again! Rachel it's kind of nice to have a plan huh? For me doing whatever I want only last a few days and then I'm dumbfounded on what to do! So then I go back to trying to map out at least a week. I want to do the June rotation but since I still don't know what we're doing over the 4th (I think we may not be going anywhere) I'm thinking I'll just keep winging it until we're past the holiday. I'll know for sure by the end of the week. Thank you for info on the Vibrams, I'll pass that on!

Kim, glad you're okay - I can't believe you're working out barefooted with blisters! But you know we did that in the 80's. High impact barefooted! Can you believe it? I don't remember it ever hurting my feet but we would only do 20 minutes EXTREMELY high impact! LOL! So tonight, I knelt down on the floor on my knees and had big "ouch" on the top of my good foot! So I have done nothing to my foot...as in haven't dropped a can of corn on it or anything and I have this swollen spot on the top of my foot! It hurts when I press on it (or when I knelt on it) but doesn't hurt in my shoes. Is that similar to what you had? I'm wondering if it's another tendonitis type thing??? Big "Atta Boy" for DS! You brag all you want! That's great! :D Strange about feeling sick, maybe it was a food/dehydrated issue?? I heard Toy Story is good...what did DH think of A Team?

Cendrine, well you had an eventful day! You and the kids have been doing lots of fun stuff! Next spring if you need pine cones...let me know and I'll ship you a box! LOL! We just got done cleaning up all the pine cones and cedar from our yard. I had a couple 100 of them. We mostly have cedar trees but a few pine. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that struggles with the plies! So you can imagine to do as good as I did was a major "wow!" LOL! Hope you're having a fun evening tonight!

Last edited:
Good Morning Everyone!

My plan this morning was to get up and do Push/Pull. I haven't done that in ages and had decided last night to spend the rest of the week revisiting workouts that have been long neglected! :p But alas, I woke up at 3:00 with a migraine and have been fighting it ever since. I finally feel half way okay so am going to go to work for a little while and, if not better, come home. Tonight is supposed to be spinning but that doesn't sound too appealing right now. Anyway, hope you all have a happy day. The sun is out and it's finally supposed to hit 70!

Happy Tuesday!

Dh didn't get home from work until 1 am! I had the hardest time getting back to sleep but got up early and did my pilates workout, so I'm feeling good about that. I hope I get some good rest tonight.

Jo, so sorry about your migraine! I hope you recover quickly, sorry about your foot too, it's such a bummer when stuff comes out of the blue to make us change plans! We used to have pine in our garden growing up and we used the pine cones for barbecuing... have you ever tried that? I'll remember your bounty if we need some next spring! LOL!

Rachel and Kim, I hope your day is going well!

I'm tempted to try another CC workout tomorrow on the treadmill, yesterday was enjoyable for me!

Sorry Guys about no morning post. Tuesday gets hectic around here in the morning because we have to bill out our labor and trash has to go up...Isn't it funny how 2 extra things can throw everything out of whack!

I did get to do Kickmax this morning. I did the premix that has the ten drills and then 3 combos. I forget what its called but I must have been getting plie power from Jo because I also did the best I have done. I think it was because I kept telling myself Jo did all hers!:p It is nice to be inspired from miles away! Thanks Jo;)
I am not sure what I will get into tomorrow. I do want to have a light day or two this week before I really go full on next week. Or else why even call it a recovery week!

We finally got to start laying out the vinyl squares today at work. There are 13 different colors. The women that are over the childrens ministry came up and gushed over it. It made me feel good even if we didn't make up the patterns...Someone had to execute the architects vision though! lol Toot toot...:D:rolleyes:

Cendrine- You are so creative. I bet the kids and the parents love the parties at your house. Those are going to be the parties that the kids remember when they grow up...When your dd grows up, her friends will remind her how cool you always were!
That is a great idea with the watermelon. I definitely have plenty of it. We haven't cut it yet but I think I will definitely be doing that.

Jo-I never used to plan my workouts other than I knew what day I would be doing my weight workouts and what body part I would do. As far as cardio would go, I would just wing it. I definitely prefer planning. I think it is nice to know what I am doing plus it holds me accountable to do that tough workout...Otherwise a lot of mornings when I am all bleary eyed I would probably opt for the easier ones. Now if it says plyo or Hiit or IMAX whatever on the calendar...That is what gets done.

Kim-Congrats to Ds on all of his achievements. When I was his age I loved English.Brag all you want!
I think if you like working out barefoot then you will like the vibrams. I think there are other versions by different brands but I can only speak for the ones I have got. Plus they come in so many cute colors.;)
So you said the heat might have gotten to you ...I am dying to know how warm hot is in Canada! Please let me live through you. I am one of those weirdos that loves to watch shows about the winter time in the summer...I guess it subliminally cooling me through my brain! lol

OK chatted yalls eyes off enough! TTYT

Rachel

I got to wear shoes for working out today!!:D:D It's funny how the small things in life make you happy. DH did the Insanity workout with me today. Tomorrow is recovery day! Each week there is one day of doing nothing and one recovery workout day. The recovery workout is light cardio, yoga, muscle work etc. The one tomorrow is a new one for the second month.
Also got lots of weeding done in the garden, everything is coming along nice. I think I'll be able to pick the lettuce soon.

Cendrine What a busy day for you yesterday with the walk and the boy scout evening! I bet the kids were tired at the end of the day. Good for you for doing the tm, did you walk or run some? What's DH doing at work so late?? Is he still catching up from your holidays?

Jo That's what I had with my foot a couple of months back! Between the PF and the blisters:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: The top of my foot was swollen and so sore and I could not figure it out but only last a couple of days. I thought about tendonitis too but it disappeared before I diagnosed anything. DH loved the A team movie, he said he was a big fan of the tv show. Hope you're feeling better and got a chance to go to spinning as I know you really enjoy it! I'm going to try and watch Jillian's show tonight as I haven't caught very many episodes.

Rachael I'm sure it's very exciting to see a beautiful floor turning out so nice. Okay, it probably isn't hot lot your hot. Sunday morning at the marathon it was probably mid 20's Celsius but it's been very humid which is unusual for us.

Rachel, congrats on wowing the ministry ladies with the floor! isn't it nice when your work is appreciated? Everyone does better with a little positive feedback, right? I know I do! Thanks for your encouragement about the birthday party. I hope it will be a great success! I'll post some pics when the time comes!

Kim, shoes, yay!!!!! i'm glad you are healing up! Humidity makes temperatures a lot tougher to take! I remember from Switzerland, summers can get pretty humid and even though it gets hotter here in California, it is never that humid so even higher temperatures don't bother me that much. I was not running on the tm because I don't want to mess up my recovery, I might experiment in a few weeks with running if things keep going well. But for now I just power walk the heck out of the tm when the sprints come up and add some incline....:rolleyes::p I'm glad your garden is coming along nicely! Our stuff is still alive and growing and flowering too, so I'm excited! Dh was down in San Diego running an install in a hospital and they really needed to get it done that day... Then it takes him an hour to get home.... Luckily he doesn't have too many days like this... poor guy.

Jo, I hope your foot is feeling better! I got to make the barley peach salad today and it was hard to stop, I really liked it. I did add two peaches since they seemed small (my size to go by are Costco sizes, so anything from the other stores just seems small even if it is probably average....;)) and instead of a quarter cup of peppers I added a whole pepper and I liked it lots. dd loved it too and dh and ds will dive in when they get back from Taekwondo. I have a cantaloupe that I don't think we are going to get to in time so I remembered you dehydrating some and I thought I might try that tomorrow. How long did it take for yours to be done? Have you had time to make the granola?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.