Runner's Check-In 04/28/06

banslug

Cathlete
GOOD FRIDAY MORNING, ladies.

I really need to think about NOT COMING here anymore! LOL. You ladies have me changing my mind about 8 times A DAY on what marathon to do next! LOL I really got a kick out of yesterday's pictures, posts, links, marathon chat, and ridicule! LOL

NOW....taper is the word of the day for me. I was up early and stuck to my upper body work from Power Hour ONLY! NO RUN! Promised myself today that I'd NOT run! I have to cut the grass later, so pushing the mower thru the yard for over 2 hours will have to be as close to a run as I get! LOL

I forget..........who else is running a race this weekend? I know Sarah runs next weekend, right?

Gayle

I'm not running today either gayle. I have a 5k tomorrow so I will be working upper body only today . Gotta give the legs a rest. It is suppose to be a nice weekend, so I plan on being outside alot and enjoying it.

Have a nice day everyone.

Good morning ladies! No run scheduled for me today either. Yesterday I ran 4 miles and today I plan to do Muscle Endurance. Today is my day to get off of work early so I plan to go to John's Run/Walk Shop and get fitted for a new pair of shoes. I really need them. My legs have been remaining sore for days after even my short runs so hopefully new shoes will help.

Good luck Gayle & Laura with your races this weekend!

Good morning fit runners

Gayle...you love coming here!! Ridicule??...I didn't see any in yesterdays thread...}( :+ Yes REST those legs so you can kick butt in the run!! I believe Kathy G is running a marathon this weekend, Laura is doing a 5K and Shelly has a half marathon in May.

Laura...have a nice day realxing and good luck in your 5K!

Kristi...I love getting new shoes.They can make such a difference! Enjoy Muscle Endurance.

I'll be doing MM Back and abs and a 4 mile run.

Have a good day...:)

Good morning, all - I will be joining you here from now on since I finally chose a 1/2 marathon to run in August. :)

I am running this afternoon to see how far I can go - my goal is 3 miles, it's been seven months since I've really ran any distance so I figured that's a good goal. I'm going to "Start" my 1/2 marathon training on Monday - I have my schedule all set and I'm VERY psyched to get started. I miss having a regime to go along with and I LOVE running through the State Park that is only 2 miles from my house.

Anyway, I'm hoping to check in here and the 12-week challenge, because I know this new "adventure" of mine will help me attain my goals. ;)

Happy running OR RESTING }( today! I know those of you that are resting will have a tough time, but you can resist one day to let your body recover.

Take care,
Marcia

Welcome Marcia! I'm going to run a half marathon in August too. It will be my first. Where & when is yours? Mine is August 27th in Columbus, OH.

Morning runners!
Good, I’m SO glad I’m not the only one that gets jittery and paranoid right before race time. Thanks so much for all the well wishes everyone, I’ll be thinking about you on Sunday. Have a great time Gayle and Laura!

The marathon is a 100+ miles from home (we live in Southern NJ, about 10 miles outside of Atlantic City) and packet pick up is tomorrow. So all three of us (DH, 15 yr. old son, and myself) will head up there about 2:00 pm to pick up my race packet, look around the fitness expo, and check into the Bed & Breakfast I booked.

The plan is for them to see me off at the race, go back to the B&B and have a nice home cooked breakfast (lucky them!) and then they’ll come back to see me finish. It’s a 9 mile trip for them each way, so they’ll be busy too! Then after the race, there’s a celebration “lunch” where you get your finisher’s medal and watch the awards. Geez, I hope I don’t stiffen up while I’m sitting there having some food, lol! Then it’s a couple of hour’s trip back home.

I’m excited, nervous, and ready to get it over with so I can go back to my normal workouts. I think I like “training” for marathons more than I like running them, lol! It’s going to be crazy tomorrow trying to get stuff done before we leave (DH started remodeling the bathroom a week ago), so I’ll check back in after the race on Sunday. Have a great run or workout everyone. :)

Ooops, here's a link to the marathon:

http://www.njmarathon.org/main.htm

Kathy G

P.S. All these beautiful pics of California marathons are making me wanna come out there! ;)

Kathy G- I hope you havea wonderful experience tomorrow! By the way, my brother, has a business where he times races all over the NJ/NYC area. His company is Compuscore. I just though I'd mention it.

I just completed my 6 mile run. There wer no car accidents today, thankfully. Parts of the run were great and other parts reminded me of being in childbirth! Then of course when I finished, I thought it wasn't so bad. It is amazing how selective my memory can be! It must be the endorphins working their magic on our brains that keeps us coming back for another run.

Now you girls go right ahead talking about races. I will stay out of those discussions.

Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce27b3127cce94279e1404fa00000016108AatHLZo3buN

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=9978144&uid=4817615&members=1

Ok I'm freaking out. I have my first super duper ever in a million year 5k run on the 6th. I am so anxious and sick about doing it. I don't know why. I know it's not as big as a marathon but it's my first and I'm so nervous. I know I can run the thing but I am afaird of not getting a respectable time. What through me for a loop last night is when I was talking to my husband, he said "oh it will probalby take you as long as it would to get dressed." So I know he thinks I can run it fast. I am putting so much pressure on myself to do it fast that it's all I'm worried about. Making a good time and not disappointing everyone who thinks I can do it in a good time. Wonder if it takes me 30 min. I know I'm freaking out. Can you tell. Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent.
karen

www.picturetrail.com/karenvictoria

Did I mention I have till today to turn my paper in and that is why it is all coming to a head and I feel nausious. I've looked at the paper three times and still can't get it to the mailbox. I always say I'm going to do somthing for myself and never follow through and here I am again over something so small as a race. Ok I'm done!!!
karen

Hi Kristi:

My 1/2 is in Hudson, Wisconsin and you run over the bridge into Stillwater, Minnesota. There is a huge rivalry between the two state colleges so it's advertised as the Gopher vs. the Badger :) Of course, I will be decked out in Gopher attire for the event }(

~Marcia~

Hi, sorry to be quick.

Kathy-HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND! Enjoy yourself! What a feeling...just you WAIT!!!!

And as for jitters, as EXCITED ANDPSYCHED UP that I am, I'm starting to get nervous as well. Oh, well....that's normal. It will pass by mile 1!!!!!

Gayle

Good morning lovely running ladies!

Gayle, Laura and Kathy - GOOD LUCK on your events this weekend! I'll be cheering y'all on! How exciting!

Sarah - 9 day right? :p

Kristi - have fun shoe shopping! I always love the run the day after I get new shoes. I always feel like I'm flying!

Carole - I still think you're trying to kill us all! }( *grins*

Marcia - Wonderful! Glad to have you join us!

Judy - you have me rolling! That has to be the most accurate description of a long run I have ever heard! I'm going to be thinking of you and chuckling through my pain tomorrow on my "long" run of 4 or 5 miles!

I did P90X Legs and Back today with ME abs. That's all I'm doing today. Going out to lunch with some girls for work (already have my meal picked out!), then DD13 and I are going to rent movies and enjoy our last night without DH. I love him dearly and I love having him home, but I also love the time I spend with the girls when he's gone. DD17 has a dance tonight, so it's just the younger one and me. Then it's up early for a nice run! I'm so excited. My Aussie, Tucker, will be running with me... I'm going to try a long route to see how far I can go. I figure if I can't run it all, I can walk it, but at least it will give me a good gage as to how much work I have to do.

Wow, it looks like everyone is going to be running their little hearts out this weekend :) . Good luck to everyone that is racing. I am sure that you will all do a great job! Let us know how it goes.

I did 3 miles today on a treadmill and it was boring!! I would much rather be outside.

I signed up for my 10K last night. No turning back now!!! It is on Memorial Day so I have about a month left to prepare. I ran 6.2 miles last weekend so I know I can do it. I just need to do it faster now }( .

My DH got me a gift card for a local running shop for Valentine's Day so I am going to head off there to get new shoes. I am in desparate need of them. I have never gone to a running shop before where they watch you run and recommend shoes. I am nervous! How dumb is that?

My run in scheduled for Sunday this weekend so I will check in then. Have a good one.

Karin

Good luck to you Kathy! (Sorry, I didn't mean to leave you out.)

Karin, good luck with the shoe shopping. I'm nervous about being fitted for a pair of shoes too. I've never had anyone analyze how I run before, but it will be so worth it for a great pair of shoes. I just hope they don't say I run funny! :p Let me know what shoes you buy.

Well, I'm about ready to go to lunch and get my ME workout in. Have a great workout today everyone!!

carole thanks for the good wishes!!!

karen I get nervous withe every race but as gayle says it passes once you actually start running.

hope everyone has a nice day!!

Hi Ladies!!! I have been MIA for a few days. My concentration has been horrible the past few days. I am having a heck of a time reading and actually 'understanding' what I just read. If the kids are chattering around me...there is just no way! All my mental energy has been thinking about my marathon! Geez!

Didn't help that I didn't realize that the check-ins were moved to a separate forum!:eek:

O.k., no run today. Light and easy 40 minutes elliptical followed by HSC. Instead of cardio, I did abs. I used 75% less weights for lower body since I am tapering for my marathon (ex/ instead of 40 pounds for squats, I used 10 pounds.) I do not think i will be touching the weights again until I have recovered from the marathon. Time to turn the taper into a MAJOR taper!

8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!8 MORE DAYS!!!

Hey Laura...Good luck this weekend!!! Have fun!! Same goes for Gayle!! I can't wait to hear how you guys do and hear about how much fun you had!!

Gayle-Very proud of you for restraining yourself! I know what you mean about the influences of this check-in! ENABLERS, the whole lot of them;-)

Laura-Great luck on the 5K tomorrow!

Kristi-There's a podiatrist in my area who performs a similar service, I keep seeing his commercials on TV and am so tempted, but don't know who much it costs and doubt my lousy student insurance would cover it:-( Let us know what you end up with.

Carole-That's all?!?! When Mt. Everest is just sitting there, waiting, taunting, calling? Ah well, maybe tomorrow...:+

Marcia-Welcome! Sounds like you have the perfect running spot!

Kathy-You'll be on our minds. The best of luck and HAVE FUN! I know what you mean about the California pics, I'm starting the fund now, way before I start training:p

Judy-Yes, there are 3 huge hills around where I run and about 3/4's of the way up an epidural would be nice!

Karen-Take a deep breath, put the paper in the mail, and smile because you are doing something that you will love and that you will remember forever! There is nothing like crossing that finish line, which you will very likely do in an AWESOME time-just think of the nerves you are feeling now and think how far they alone would carry you:7 I'll tell you the same thing my DH told me before my first 5K, you won't be last---I didn't even know if it was true, but it helped a lot for some reason. We're here, we'll take care of you;)

Christine-Sounds like a great evening planned! You're making me miss my mom- I think I'll go give her a call

Karin-New shoes! For free! No reason to be nervous, just excited.

Sarah-I can't wait to hear about your experience! You are such an inspiration! And pics, oh 8 MORE DAYS!

Today was a day off from work for me, so I did L&G pretty late this morning followed by a 3 mile run outside-but I pushed it very hard on the run and felt really strong all morning. Plus, I've lost an inch off lower thighs and a half-inch off upper thighs! I know it's the added running and, probably more than anything, the cleaner eating, lol!
Mattea

Mattea you made my day . I put it in the mailbox just now. I needed that like you would not believe. Thanks to the rest of all of you for your support. I really appreciate it. I feel like a nut when so many of you run marathons and how nerve racking that must be ,but this is my first so it feels like a marathon to me. Just knowing I am going to commit to it is the hardest thing. I really needed the encouragement and I'm so glad I checked in.
karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.